Local Small School Media coverage

LValum14

I was really upset to open the local Chattanooga paper and have to search hard for a story about Lookout Valley staying unbeaten and having a good shot at the championship game. If I read another story on the front page about a DII school I am going to throw up. If you can't "recruit" a great team every year at these schools you should be fired. I have a great deal more respect for a coach such as David Dinger. He has stuck with LV through some terrible years. He takes what he is given and makes the best out of it. I know there are other coaches of the same caliber at other small schools in the state (If you have one please post it so everyone will know). Most of these kids were born and raised in LV. I would much rather here a story about kids who are actually from the Chattanooga area than some kid from no tellin where. If I am wrong about the private schools bringing kids in to play please correct me.

The bigger public schools getting good publicity doesn't bother me as bad. But when a smaller school advances and their article is grouped over to the side of the third page with bigger schools that got beat out stinks. The local news didn't have any info on the games other than win or lose. I could probably go on about this for a few more pages but I would like to hear from other areas on this matter.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where both of you are coming from. Page in Williamson Co. rarely gets media coverage since the papers are concerned with AAA schools or Div. II private schools. I started doing posts about Page to give them some exposure here on coacht. I feel for you when your team doesn't get the proper media attention it deserves.

Uhh, yeah, click on Sports, click on Prep and see what you see.

First off, Lookout Valley has a great coach, a great team, a great facility and great fans.

However, just how much local media coverage are you looking for? My point is:

May 15

May 17:

May 19

May 20

May 23

May 24

IMHO, Chattanooga has one of the best, if not THE best, high school sportswriters in the State, in Ward Gossett.

Lookout Valley got local coverage 6 times, or basically, every time they played for the past 2 weeks. Several things in Chattanooga high school sports need some help, but it's not the local coverage.

QUOTE(LVMom @ May 24 2007 - 11:49 AM) 826466057[/snapback]AMEN! I too have been disappointed in the lack of coverage for our local boys! The simple fact that we are a small school and don't have too many to choose from like the bigger schools seems to be even more impressive that they are still in the Tournament and doing as well as they are! One of our local papers even supported CSAS and other private and larger schools more when they lost to us then they are now that we are winning at State. What will it take to get some respect for the smaller public schools in our area? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

This is a GREAT accomplishment for David Dinger and the Jackets and Lookout Valley High School. We are very proud of them and they deserve much more respect from the media.

Okay I will get off my soapbox now but I have been wanting to say that for some time....thank you for saying it first.

GO LV JACKETS!

GOOD LUCK!

Holy cow. Do you guys want some cheese and crackers wih your whine.

How about trying to consider that the paper tries to cover everything faily with a lot of factors coming into the decision making beyond public-private and how big a school it.

Let's see, McCallie wins a state title in tennis. They aren't on the cover. ND pulls the biggest upset of the whole spring flin

and they aren't on the cover. McCallie is undefeated in baseball and they aren't on the cover.

Enjoy the ride the kids are on and find something else to complain about.

I hear that. We are in the same city as USJ. The paper there only talks about USJ making it. USJ whined when JCS was making their way to State championship in football, so now we get minimal coverage. Can't we all get along and share the sports section?

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ May 24 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826466095[/snapback]Holy cow. Do you guys want some cheese and crackers wih your whine.

How about trying to consider that the paper tries to cover everything faily with a lot of factors coming into the decision making beyond public-private and how big a school it.

Let's see, McCallie wins a state title in tennis. They aren't on the cover. ND pulls the biggest upset of the whole spring flin

and they aren't on the cover. McCallie is undefeated in baseball and they aren't on the cover.

Enjoy the ride the kids are on and find something else to complain about.

So you disagree with a noticeable bias toward private/larger schools?

i dont there is for sure more publicity for bigger schools we won our opening region game and cookeville lost theirs and the headline read clock strikes midnight for cavs i also broke the homerun record for my school this year cookeville had a boy fall just short of thiers and that is all the headlines talked about

QUOTE(bmoy @ May 24 2007 - 01:55 PM) 826466104[/snapback]I hear that. We are in the same city as USJ. The paper there only talks about USJ making it. USJ whined when JCS was making their way to State championship in football, so now we get minimal coverage. Can't we all get along and share the sports section?

Wait a minute, I agree there is a little about USJ in the Jackson Sun but not a lot. I don't understand why they didn't do a big section over all of the local schools before the seasons began like they always do for the football teams. Out of all of the weeks we have been playing there have maybe been 5 or 6 articles....I'm not saying JCS has gotten more or less I don't think they have covered any of them fairly!!!

I apologize about my earlier rant about media coverage. I did not see the paper for wed. I still believe that smaller schools get overlooked quite a bit but I have to eat crow about this one. LV had great coverage on Wed. I understand they have to spread it around. I had a knee jerk reaction when I opened the paper today. My apologies for acting too soon.