3A state champion 07

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they have a lot of talent coming up in the future but i also agree with LAdad they have talent now and it is time to use it!!!

Your right LA dad i think that they have alot of good talent this year... They have people in every position.... With Morgan in the backfield u never no what he can make happen.. He will definetly be a go to guy this year in the Wildcat offense..

I like D. Lipscomb. Not very risky, but they have a lot of skill talent back, and their OL/DL is so well coached, I just don't see much drop off. They are disciplined, and run an offense that is difficult to defend. They play nice contain defense, have outstanding pursuit angles, good speed, and control the clock. Special teams will be good as always. They are very hungry after losing to LA, and Fulton consecutively. AE or Catholic meets up with my sleeper team ND. Catholic has played a "tuffer" schedule, and if they get that far without being depletd by injuries, will get past ND, IMO. DL/Catholic battle it out in the Boro. DL wins in 3OT, 43-41 after Catholic fails to convert on 2 pt conversion:) You read it here first, and you read it here wrong.

ruse?

I like D. Lipscomb. Not very risky, but they have a lot of skill talent back, and their OL/DL is so well coached, I just don't see much drop off. They are disciplined, and run an offense that is difficult to defend. They play nice contain defense, have outstanding pursuit angles, good speed, and control the clock. Special teams will be good as always. They are very hungry after losing to LA, and Fulton consecutively. AE or Catholic meets up with my sleeper team ND. Catholic has played a "tuffer" schedule, and if they get that far without being depletd by injuries, will get past ND, IMO. DL/Catholic battle it out in the Boro. DL wins in 3OT, 43-41 after Catholic fails to convert on 2 pt conversion:) You read it here first, and you read it here wrong.

ruse?

43-41??????

How many weeks will that game take place?????

I'm going to go with the underdog in Dyersburg. They have talent, they have the best coaching staff in West Tennessee, and they have a great work ethic. I think they could do it this year. All of the coaches on the staff have been successful, some with far less talent than Dyersburg has. They have everything they need at Dyersburg.

Thought you'd like that. Couldn't help myself avoid a little targeted fun/agitation

I'd be shocked if either of those defenses gave up the point totals COMBINED throughout the postseason. Both of those schools have the best players around in terms of playing the game fundamentally all the way around. Both are well coached and could very possibly see one another in the Blue Cross Bowl when all is said and done. I'd predict a 21-14, 20-17, or 17-14 type of game where one big play (likely on special teams) winds up being the difference maker.

I can't make a prediction right now because 3A is just so darn even heading into this season.

Region 2-3A MUST HAVE THE FAVORITE because they are the ones that have gotten it done in previous years. This means Knoxville Catholic could be the next team in line. Who knows though???? Maybe Fulton will win their fourth title in five years. Maybe AE will win their second title in seven years. Maybe LA will sneak up on someone and win their second title in three years. Catholic has been the best team in Class 3A for 12 weeks over the last two years. That argument can't be denied by anyone. However 13 has truly been unlucky as KC has been eliminated in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs each of the last two postseasons by the eventual state champs. Fulton is a well coached football team with some great athletes. The Falcons return a good nucleus but do have some holes to fill. Who doesn't????? Fulton will be there in the end because they always are. Austin East is an athlete factory and will always be a force to be reckoned with on the road to the BC Bowl. The Road Runners have closed the gap that has existed between themselves and the top teams in this region over the last two years when you look at it on paper. They may make a return trip to the Boro for the first time since they won it all in '01.

Region 4-3A is going to be awfully good this year ruse. I just do not see Region 3-3A's Notre Dame beating three of their teams in as many weeks. If anything it could possibly be another sweep in the opening round of the playoffs. Pearl Cohn & White House are loaded. Both are ranked in the preseason Top 10 and will likely clash twice this year with the second meeting coming in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs to see who gets to make the trip to Knoxville for the semifinal round. Station Camp returns a solid nucleus from last year's 10-2 bunch and they will be a major factor in the region title race. You can also never count out Sycamore or Greenbrier. Either one of those two teams would certainly give ND all they want and then more in the opening round of the playoffs. Meigs Co. has been ousted by each of those two teams in the opening round of the playoffs over the last two posteasons so they can vouch for my statement.

Region 5-3A is going to be a factor as it has been the last two years. David Lipscomb is David Lipscomb meaning that they are going to do things the right way. Maybe the third time will be the charm in 3A for the Mustangs. Then again, maybe the third time will be a charm for another team in this region. Giles Co. has a good nucleus returning from the team that went 11-2 and lost a heartbreaker to DL last year in the quarterfinals. They have underachieved in previous years but Marshall Co. has the players to beat anyone and now maybe the have the right guy at the helm to lead them to the promise land. I am biased yes but Cheatham Co. has been to the playoffs for the last five years and they have the work ethic and the coaching to give anyone in the region a scare.

Region 7-3A may have the best team on the west side of the playoff bracket heading into this season in Dyersburg. The Trojans have a new head coach but they have a lot of the same faces from the team that went to the semifinals last year and a couple of those faces are incredible football players. Covington, like Dyersburg, has a new man in charge of the football program however that did not leave them without recognition because the coaches have the Chargers ranked in the preseason poll. Crockett Co. may be the best coached football team in all of the west-TN area (Milan being the possible exception) and every year they will have a say in who makes a run at the gold. Haywood surged in the second half last season and this year they are ranked in the Top 10 heading into the season. Maybe the Tomcats could do what the other three teams have done in recent years and make a run to the semifinals and be playing for the right to go to the Boro once December rolls around.

BIG COUNTRY'S PRESEASON POLL FOR CLASS 3A

1.) Knoxville Catholic: The Tait & Tait Express will be in full charge to the Boro heading into this season.

2.) David Lipscomb: Moneypenny-Rogers-Davis-Holt ALL return to an offense that should put up points.

3.) Dyersburg: Rashad Taylor & Tyler Calwell make this the most dynamite backfield in west-TN.

4.) Fulton: Cobb, Stokes, & that great secondary all return to a defense that will carry the Falcons to a lot of wins.

5.) Pearl Cohn: Mason & Gregory lead a potent offense while Griffin & Sweatt anchor a dominant defense for the 'Birds.

6.) White House: DeMarqus & DeMarrius Payne will be a "twin killing" to a lot of teams on the Blue Devils schedule.

7.) Austin East: Jones & Montgomery look to run the Road Runners all the way to the top once all is said and done.

8.) Crockett Co.: Coach PA Pratt and his staff will have the Cavaliers in the thick of things as they always seem to be.

9.) Station Camp: Barker, Bailey, Johnson, Tope, Moore, Reed, & others return from last year's great Bison bunch.

10.) Notre Dame: Sam Eberle is a premiere player on a team that is very well coached and will be a tough out in the end.

Of course that is just my opinion and it differs from what many others will believe so if you have an opinion that you'd like to share then please let it be known!!!!

As I always say though, POLLS DO NOT MATTER!!! In the end only one 2-3A team can advance. Only one 4-3A team can advance. Only one 5-3A team can advance. Only one 7-3A team can advance. Those four fortunate superpowers will once again beat up on one another as they did last year and there will be only one team that can call themselves CHAMPIONS on a cold Saturday afternoon in December.

It seems that what Fulton lacks Catholic has, and what Catholic lacks Fulton has. Fulton has skilled players out the yingyang, and Catholic has Big strong lineman, and LB's.

Fulton has normally played alot of skilled players on Defense, and has had the big DT's to go along with that. It sort of allowed for those skilled players to make big plays. It also made alot of teams have to stop the speed of those ends and LB's and less worry about DT's. This worked great because those big DT's were pretty athletic themselves. That made for a hard team to score against. Fulton is gonna have to find some good DT's to have the success on Defense that they have had the last 3 or 4 years.

Catholic has got alot of big physical players. Their Line and LB's are as good as they come. They also have some good athletic skilled players, just not what Fulton has nor the depth at the skilled spots that Fulton has.

It all boils down to the running game. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I'd be shocked if either of those defenses gave up the point totals COMBINED throughout the postseason. Both of those schools have the best players around in terms of playing the game fundamentally all the way around. Both are well coached and could very possibly see one another in the Blue Cross Bowl when all is said and done. I'd predict a 21-14, 20-17, or 17-14 type of game where one big play (likely on special teams) winds up being the difference maker.

I can't make a prediction right now because 3A is just so darn even heading into this season.

Region 2-3A MUST HAVE THE FAVORITE because they are the ones that have gotten it done in previous years. This means Knoxville Catholic could be the next team in line. Who knows though???? Maybe Fulton will win their fourth title in five years. Maybe AE will win their second title in seven years. Maybe LA will sneak up on someone and win their second title in three years. Catholic has been the best team in Class 3A for 12 weeks over the last two years. That argument can't be denied by anyone. However 13 has truly been unlucky as KC has been eliminated in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs each of the last two postseasons by the eventual state champs. Fulton is a well coached football team with some great athletes. The Falcons return a good nucleus but do have some holes to fill. Who doesn't????? Fulton will be there in the end because they always are. Austin East is an athlete factory and will always be a force to be reckoned with on the road to the BC Bowl. The Road Runners have closed the gap that has existed between themselves and the top teams in this region over the last two years when you look at it on paper. They may make a return trip to the Boro for the first time since they won it all in '01.

Region 4-3A is going to be awfully good this year ruse. I just do not see Region 3-3A's Notre Dame beating three of their teams in as many weeks. If anything it could possibly be another sweep in the opening round of the playoffs. Pearl Cohn & White House are loaded. Both are ranked in the preseason Top 10 and will likely clash twice this year with the second meeting coming in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs to see who gets to make the trip to Knoxville for the semifinal round. Station Camp returns a solid nucleus from last year's 10-2 bunch and they will be a major factor in the region title race. You can also never count out Sycamore or Greenbrier. Either one of those two teams would certainly give ND all they want and then more in the opening round of the playoffs. Meigs Co. has been ousted by each of those two teams in the opening round of the playoffs over the last two posteasons so they can vouch for my statement.

Region 5-3A is going to be a factor as it has been the last two years. David Lipscomb is David Lipscomb meaning that they are going to do things the right way. Maybe the third time will be the charm in 3A for the Mustangs. Then again, maybe the third time will be a charm for another team in this region. Giles Co. has a good nucleus returning from the team that went 11-2 and lost a heartbreaker to DL last year in the quarterfinals. They have underachieved in previous years but Marshall Co. has the players to beat anyone and now maybe the have the right guy at the helm to lead them to the promise land. I am biased yes but Cheatham Co. has been to the playoffs for the last five years and they have the work ethic and the coaching to give anyone in the region a scare.

Region 7-3A may have the best team on the west side of the playoff bracket heading into this season in Dyersburg. The Trojans have a new head coach but they have a lot of the same faces from the team that went to the semifinals last year and a couple of those faces are incredible football players. Covington, like Dyersburg, has a new man in charge of the football program however that did not leave them without recognition because the coaches have the Chargers ranked in the preseason poll. Crockett Co. may be the best coached football team in all of the west-TN area (Milan being the possible exception) and every year they will have a say in who makes a run at the gold. Haywood surged in the second half last season and this year they are ranked in the Top 10 heading into the season. Maybe the Tomcats could do what the other three teams have done in recent years and make a run to the semifinals and be playing for the right to go to the Boro once December rolls around.

BIG COUNTRY'S PRESEASON POLL FOR CLASS 3A

1.) Knoxville Catholic: The Tait & Tait Express will be in full charge to the Boro heading into this season.

2.) David Lipscomb: Moneypenny-Rogers-Davis-Holt ALL return to an offense that should put up points.

3.) Dyersburg: Rashad Taylor & Tyler Calwell make this the most dynamite backfield in west-TN.

4.) Fulton: Cobb, Stokes, & that great secondary all return to a defense that will carry the Falcons to a lot of wins.

5.) Pearl Cohn: Mason & Gregory lead a potent offense while Griffin & Sweatt anchor a dominant defense for the 'Birds.

6.) White House: DeMarqus & DeMarrius Payne will be a "twin killing" to a lot of teams on the Blue Devils schedule.

7.) Austin East: Jones & Montgomery look to run the Road Runners all the way to the top once all is said and done.

8.) Crockett Co.: Coach PA Pratt and his staff will have the Cavaliers in the thick of things as they always seem to be.

9.) Station Camp: Barker, Bailey, Johnson, Tope, Moore, Reed, & others return from last year's great Bison bunch.

10.) Notre Dame: Sam Eberle is a premiere player on a team that is very well coached and will be a tough out in the end.

Of course that is just my opinion and it differs from what many others will believe so if you have an opinion that you'd like to share then please let it be known!!!!

As I always say though, POLLS DO NOT MATTER!!! In the end only one 2-3A team can advance. Only one 4-3A team can advance. Only one 5-3A team can advance. Only one 7-3A team can advance. Those four fortunate superpowers will once again beat up on one another as they did last year and there will be only one team that can call themselves CHAMPIONS on a cold Saturday afternoon in December.

Wow, BC. Great post. Thanks. Hear me out on the DL/Catholic game though. 21-21 at the end of regulation. One TD, and extra point per team per OT period at the end of 2 OTs. Third OT, DL goes ahead 41-35, then converts on a two pointer. Catholic scores to make it 43-41, fails to convert. Game over. DL gets to the top after coming close in 05, and 06.

Here's a Top 10 that is absolutely meaningless.

1.) Lipscomb. Moneypenny, Tenpenny, Holt, Rodgers, and Hunt up front for good measure.

2.) Catholic. Yeah, both Tait kids are D1 prospects, but Lindsey (QB/Safety) is a Wilson Cates waiting to happen.

3.) Pearl Cohn. Mason can, and will take over games. 3A back of the yr. Learned a lot in Fulton loss last year.

4.) Dyersburg. Taylor/Calwell off-set QB loss. Return a lot of exp. talent. New staff has to manage expectations.

5.) Austin East. Jones leads phenoms/young talent. Seriously. Maturity by playoff time, and look out.

6.) Fulton. If they find 3 DT's to rotate, D is set. Stinson 2 Humphrey, Smith, and Cobb running... they can win it.

7.) Notre Dame. Good scheme. Strong up the middle. No mistakes. Eberle is a load. They just don't go away.

8.) Marshall Co. No question about talent. Giles Co. could just as easily wind up here...Mr. Hightower. It's time.

9.) White House. The talent is "Paynefully" obvious. Will they improve during the season, step up in playoffs?

10.) Meigs Co, Knox. Carter, Crockett Co., Station Camp, Greenbriar, Sycamore.

ruse?

It seems that what Fulton lacks Catholic has, and what Catholic lacks Fulton has. Fulton has skilled players out the yingyang, and Catholic has Big strong lineman, and LB's.

Fulton has normally played alot of skilled players on Defense, and has had the big DT's to go along with that. It sort of allowed for those skilled players to make big plays. It also made alot of teams have to stop the speed of those ends and LB's and less worry about DT's. This worked great because those big DT's were pretty athletic themselves. That made for a hard team to score against. Fulton is gonna have to find some good DT's to have the success on Defense that they have had the last 3 or 4 years.

Catholic has got alot of big physical players. Their Line and LB's are as good as they come. They also have some good athletic skilled players, just not what Fulton has nor the depth at the skilled spots that Fulton has.

It all boils down to the running game. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Leonard.

2nd paragraph hit the nail on the head. Maybe Antwan Hammilton can slide down? We'll see. I saw Fulton in the Passing League, this summer. I know it's not real football, but Stinson is much more in charge. Humphrey and Smith looked very good, and if Cobb can run anything like what he showed his potential to be last yr, that will set up a Fulton passing attack that will be difficult to handle.

I must say that I was impressed w/ Catholic's speed in the secondary when I saw them scrimmage this past Spring and Summer. Also, I like any team @ the HS level that is strong up the middle. Just like last yr. w/Fulton and Hammilton, Higgins, then Gildner, Winters, then Freeney, Rogan. If you are strong up the middle on defense it makes an opponent's offense far less predictable. Same with Catholic last yr. w/Tait, Natour, then Tait, Trussler, then Smith, Lindsey.

Catholic is going to run the ball. That's what they do. Before Smith, it was McFadden, before McFadden, the Sherridan brothers. Fulton will need to run the ball to set up the pass. One thing is for sure, both will have plenty of time before they meet up in week 7 or 8.

One other thing that Catholic has that I wish Fulton would get is a kicker:)

ruse?