Age to throw curveball

Frayser1974

QUOTE(gunzablazin5 @ May 31 2007 - 02:41 PM) 826469709[/snapback]At his age, throwing 50-60 pitches during a game and then catching the next game probably won't bother him much. I would assume that they get a day off from throwing after he does that doesn't he? Besides when he is catching he is not putting a lot on the ball when he is throwing it back to the pitcher so he is probably ok. Just be careful and watch him closely. If he is tender then he needs to tell somebody that his arm is tender. Your his dad. You watch the situation and just know that curveballs are not good for his arm at this age.

I am his Mom. His Dad lives close by but has nothing to do with his ball playing. I am the one at every game and practice and I am not complaining.

No he does not get a day off after pitching. He usually pitches again the next day.

As far as the Daddy ball stuff mentioned in the previous comments. Yes, there is alot of that going on, probably the worst case I have ever been around, but my concerns do not lie around that issue. That's all part of travel ball. I am more concerned about the pitching and the curve balls.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 03:05 PM) 826469724[/snapback]I am his Mom. His Dad lives close by but has nothing to do with his ball playing. I am the one at every game and practice and I am not complaining.

No he does not get a day off after pitching. He usually pitches again the next day.

As far as the Daddy ball stuff mentioned in the previous comments. Yes, there is alot of that going on, probably the worst case I have ever been around, but my concerns do not lie around that issue. That's all part of travel ball. I am more concerned about the pitching and the curve balls.

It sounds like the league and its coaches are throwing as many inappropriate curve balls as they are asking your son to throw. I hope the season is over soon, for your sons sake. For both of your sakes, find him a better league or at least a better coach, next year.

That's what makes this so great, we can disagree.

But sorry, no way in the world am I subjecting myself or my family to people like what she described. I've been a part of or seen it too many times. I've seen 1,000 coaches like these guys and want no part of them.

By no means am I a quitter, but I'd also rather be known as intellegent, and if it means having to walk away to save my kid's arm, then by all means call me quitter and I will wear that badge with dignity.

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 31 2007 - 03:18 PM) 826469730[/snapback]That's what makes this so great, we can disagree.

But sorry, no way in the world am I subjecting myself or my family to people like what she described. I've been a part of or seen it too many times. I've seen 1,000 coaches like these guys and want no part of them.

By no means am I a quitter, but I'd also rather be known as intellegent, and if it means having to walk away to save my kid's arm, then by all means call me quitter and I will wear that badge with dignity.

Solomon, who and what are you disagreeing with?

I have been coaching for about 10 years. I currently coach middle school baseball and love the fact that I get to teach kids the correct way to play. One of the correct ways to play is to develop cut fastballs and change ups. A curve ball is only 1 type of off speed pitch. It is over used in high school and poorly tought in little league. Kids are going to experiment on there on with pitches so why should adults who know as little as kids try and teach them a pitch that could damage there arm for life. I have been asked several times by parents to teach there kids to throw a curveball most of the time I say no, sometimes I will teach them to throw a cutter. And most of the parents cant tell the difference.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ May 31 2007 - 02:26 PM) 826469732[/snapback]Solomon, who and what are you disagreeing with?

Oops, hit the wrong reply button.

My disagreement is with the idea that by walking away from this team that you would be teaching your kid to quit. The kid sounds like he is a talent on the hill and I would not want arm damage because of coaches who continually want him to throw a pitch that he is not comfortbale throwing, has been proven to be bad for a pitcher's arm his age, and then make comments because he does not want to throw it. Don't necessarily agree that is teaching a kid to quit.

QUOTE(TF38478 @ May 31 2007 - 03:36 PM) 826469739[/snapback]I have been coaching for about 10 years. I currently coach middle school baseball and love the fact that I get to teach kids the correct way to play. One of the correct ways to play is to develop cut fastballs and change ups. A curve ball is only 1 type of off speed pitch. It is over used in high school and poorly tought in little league. Kids are going to experiment on there on with pitches so why should adults who know as little as kids try and teach them a pitch that could damage there arm for life. I have been asked several times by parents to teach there kids to throw a curveball most of the time I say no, sometimes I will teach them to throw a cutter. And most of the parents cant tell the difference.

Sounds like you know a little about baseball coach! Did you see my earlier post in this thread about change ups and cutters? Awesome pitches if taught and executed correctly. Where do you coach? I might let my son play for you! LOL

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 31 2007 - 03:36 PM) 826469740[/snapback]Oops, hit the wrong reply button.

My disagreement is with the idea that by walking away from this team that you would be teaching your kid to quit. The kid sounds like he is a talent on the hill and I would not want arm damage because of coaches who continually want him to throw a pitch that he is not comfortbale throwing, has been proven to be bad for a pitcher's arm his age, and then make comments because he does not want to throw it. Don't necessarily agree that is teaching a kid to quit.

I agree with you.

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 31 2007 - 02:36 PM) 826469740[/snapback]Oops, hit the wrong reply button.

I just think that at this stage you can discuss it and sove the problem without quitting now i agree with you in the fact if they force him to throw it or if they cause a rucuss with then yes quit hoiwever i think at the stage you can accomplish what she wants with a dsicussion with a coach

HITTER...i do not know what league or association you are with but as long as they are staying in the pitching rules of that league you should be fine rather it be 6 innings a week or tournament he should be fine

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 03:05 PM) 826469724[/snapback]I am his Mom. His Dad lives close by but has nothing to do with his ball playing. I am the one at every game and practice and I am not complaining.

Well if he is not getting a day of rest after pitching 50-60 pitches then you need to mention it to the coaches that his arm needs to rest. When I mentioned getting him on a different team, I didn't mean quit right now. I meant after this year is over, find him another team with more knowledgable coaches. Summer ball has gotten watered down with daddy ball bullcrap and it has become a social status for some of these teams and daddy coaches to say they coach a summer "travel team." Be careful when finding a team because most of them are busch league coaches. They don't teach the fundamentals of the game which is what should be going on at that age. At 11 years old it's not about winning. It's about teaching them the fundamentals of the game.

QUOTE(gunzablazin5 @ May 31 2007 - 07:48 AM) 826469533[/snapback]Fastball and Changeup are the most effective two pitches in the game. The best pitcher I hit against in college was a fastball/changeup guy with a 93mph fastball and 82-84mph changeup. You didn't know what was coming due to both pitches coming out of his hand the same. If you can't win with those two pitches then you don't need to be a pitcher. A curveball is a pitch IN MY OPINION that only needs to be thrown just to show the hitters you have one. No need to make a living off of it.

Excellent, excellent post!

Coaches, pay attention.

The problem is sometimes kids spend so much time developing their curveball that it becomes their money pitch; the best pitch they can spot. That's when they get into a situation where they feel like they have to rely on it. We had a kid last night who twice threw three curveballs in a row because he couldn't spot his fastball and we had to get on the pitch selection.

Being a pitching coach, I feel like it's a reflection of me if my pitchers suffer some arm problems. That's why we have everyone on a strict pitch count, because high school coaches will let their aces throw 120-140 a game.

As far as arm injuries...it can be attributed to overuse of a breaking ball, but mostly the ridiculous number of games that these 10-14 year old traveling teams play. There's no need to play 60 games at the age of 12. There's a wall of how much a person can improve in a year.

Torn elbow ligaments are usually from overwork. If a kid has to have Tommy John surgery while he's playing 50-60 games...it's unlikely he'll ever be able to develop and hold the course over 150 games. The idea as a coach is to strengthen and improve a kid...not use him for your own good