Scrimmages

timbdp

What does anyone know about Good Counsel MD? They obviously have a very good club to have beaten the 3 teams they did. Were these 30 minute games or longer? Any commentary reagrding any of these scrimmages would be appreciated.

These were all full-length games. The three teams are from the greater DC catholic conference. The conference includes teams from Maryland, DC and Virginia. St. Johns and Good Counsel (both large co-ed schools) are perrenial soccer champions from the conference. Holy Cross (mid-size all girls school) has hired a new coach and has set goals to move into the upper echelon of the conference. St. Johns has a player that has had playing time with one of our National teams (not sure of age). The teams were well coached and played with discipline. They capitalized on their opponents misques and their conditioning and bench strength were noticeable advantages. The Tennessee teams were game; but it only takes one breakdown in a tight game and that's what appeared to happen in the Good Counsel and St. Johns games. The scores could have been a little different if we (TN) had capitalized on our opportunities and not given up the typical late game score. It was certainly an advantage for all the teams (MD and TN) to play against this caliber of competion in preparation for their upcoming seasons. Excellent soccer to watch (win or lose).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good game. Beech's game winner was a sweet header off a long cross. Riverdale had its chances in the second half, but the keeper for Beech made some nice saves. The field at Beech looks pretty short, not a lot of room between the 18's, so midfield was pretty crowded. Anyway, it was a fun way to spend a Thursday night.

EXCELLANT Game. Both teams played well. Improvements along the board .

seymour at sequoya jamboree (40 min games)

1-0 win mcminn central

1-0 win loudon

3-1 win sweetwater

seymour at sevier county jamboree (20 min games)

2-0 win pigeon forge

1-0 Gatlinburg

0-0 sevier county

Interesting you are so high on Seymour when they only beat Loudon 1-0 and Lenoir City beat them 12-0; Oh and you was ragging on the Mustangs Coach for his idea that Powell was going to be a lot better? Well Powell beat Lenoir City at the Maryville College Camp very easily.....And with respect to last years game of Powell versus Seymour, Seymour only won by one goal late in the game. Powell was also loaded with 8 Freshmen starters so not alot of Varsity experience last year.......

Interesting you are so high on Seymour when they only beat Loudon 1-0 and Lenoir City beat them 12-0; Oh and you was ragging on the Mustangs Coach for his idea that Powell was going to be a lot better? Well Powell beat Lenoir City at the Maryville College Camp very easily.....And with respect to last years game of Powell versus Seymour, Seymour only won by one goal late in the game. Powell was also loaded with 8 Freshmen starters so not alot of Varsity experience last year.......

well considering we had 4 girls on vacation that weekend and still two coming back from knee surgery i think we will be just fine they were just split squad scrimages the coach didn't even let all the starters on the field together just wait

well considering we had 4 girls on vacation that weekend and still two coming back from knee surgery i think we will be just fine they were just split squad scrimages the coach didn't even let all the starters on the field together just wait

I hear you, and think, though frustrating at times in the pre-season, that it is good not to have all the starters on the field, so as to not show anyone everything you have. I know even though other than our JV losing a game in the West Jamboree 1-0, our Varsity hasn't lost a scrimmage yet, but a couple of ties are frustrating when you know the Coach is just looking at all the girls. I guess the competitive nature in all of us wants to win every game. I am sure Seymour will have a fine season, my comments earlier were due largely because of the conversation you had with the Mustangs Coach, and yes in addition to playing for Powell, she plays on the Mustangs.

I think I read somewhere that Oak Ridge beat CAK 4-3 in a scrimmage. Any details??

I don't know a whole lot about it (wasn't there, but heard some from "sources"). I know that Brittany Hoffman wasn't there for CAK, but I think most of the rest of the squad was. If I am right, I think Oak Ridge went up 2-0 then CAK went up 3-2, then Oak Ridge scored to "win". I can't say for Coach Shepard, but I know that Coach Pifer played a lot of his freshmen and players in different places. O.R. has a dynamic player (can't remember her name) but she scored most of the goals.

Once again, I could be ALL wrong (getting old stinks) and I could be confusing this with a middleschool game I coached 8 years ago... Sorry about that! If you are really interested I can find out, but I figured since it was just a scrimmage (and an early one at that) that details weren't too vital.

Personally I am really looking forward to the CAK Bearden game this Wed!

I don't know a whole lot about it (wasn't there, but heard some from "sources"). I know that Brittany Hoffman wasn't there for CAK, but I think most of the rest of the squad was. If I am right, I think Oak Ridge went up 2-0 then CAK went up 3-2, then Oak Ridge scored to "win". I can't say for Coach Shepard, but I know that Coach Pifer played a lot of his freshmen and players in different places. O.R. has a dynamic player (can't remember her name) but she scored most of the goals.

Once again, I could be ALL wrong (getting old stinks) and I could be confusing this with a middleschool game I coached 8 years ago... Sorry about that! If you are really interested I can find out, but I figured since it was just a scrimmage (and an early one at that) that details weren't too vital.

Totally agree. After all said and done, there is only one game that you really need to win. That game would be on November 3rd, eh?

Where will Bearden play CAK and what time is the game? Who do you think will win this one?