Alcoa in 2007

Tornado89

D1 eligibilty requirements for the Class of '08 have been raised. Will it be enough to eliminate many of the marginal athletes from D1 recruitment?

Cottontop.

Perhaps some 08 kids will not meet the new sliding scale requirement. Specificaly the "core" requirement component. 09 kids should have time to adjust accordingly. What will have an impact is the opportunity for kids to go the prep school route and not have the 5 for 4 NCAA clock start ticking. JUCO may be the only opportunity, and that is no fun whatsoever. Now if TSSAA could come up with a RPI like deal that would reduce the # of athletes per team for open zone schools that have x amount of kids under a certain bar.......Oh never mind.

ruse?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing will change the "system/administration." The market. At some point the Big Boys of D1 football (the market) will say something to the effect of "It's a waste of time recruiting these guys because they don't qualify." When that happens, and it will, the exposure will evaporate...and quick. When very good prospects that can qualify begin to get tainted by the perception that they can't or won't qualify, those prospects will go elsewhere. If the administration doesn't think that what happened with Lindsey, and Sykes, and even Warren for that matter has no impact on current prospects at Alcoa; they are wrong. If the current administration doesn't believe that there are parents of very talented 8th graders that are questioning the academic integrity of the Alcoa system; they are wrong. Those parents understand, unlike some in the system that they only have one shot with their kids, and it will not be wasted.

ruse?

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Ruse? I don't know any parents of rising 9th graders questioning the academic intregrity. I know everyone connected to the administration and there is no problem with kids wanting to be a part of Alcoa at the Middle School. They are turning away kids because of over-crowding. Things are going so well in fact there are now discussions to build a new high school.

Concerning the current administration: Coach Rankin has not been on the job for one whole year! Let me share a little story about Gary. As you know he is also the Assistant Principal at Alcoa High. This isn't the first time he has served in this dual role. While at Smith County in the 80's, Coach Rankin developed an All-American Banquest. This included all, NOT JUST FOOTBALL PLAYERS, the top students and their parents. There was a banquet in their honor along with trophies and other recognition, picture in the paper etc. This was a wonderful expression of his take on academics and the students and Carthage Community really appreciated this event. I guess the biggest expression of his commitment to academics is that the FOOTBALL PROGRAM sponsored this event and paid all the bills. This speaks volumes to Gary's commitment to academics.

Give him time, you will see results. I witnessed his "touch" up close and personal at Riverdale the early 90's.

I think Alcoa will play Milan for the state chamiponship

Trenton Peabody and Westview might disagree with the Milan prediction. Both teams return a good number of experienced athletes and will quietly be in contention. Most folks don't appear to know very much about Westview because they are geographically removed from the Gibson County powerhouses but I think they like it that way.

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> Ruse? I don't know any parents of rising 9th graders questioning the academic intregrity. I know everyone connected to the administration and there is no problem with kids wanting to be a part of Alcoa at the Middle School. They are turning away kids because of over-crowding. Things are going so well in fact there are now discussions to build a new high school.

Concerning the current administration: Coach Rankin has not been on the job for one whole year! Let me share a little story about Gary. As you know he is also the Assistant Principal at Alcoa High. This isn't the first time he has served in this dual role. While at Smith County in the 80's, Coach Rankin developed an All-American Banquest. This included all, NOT JUST FOOTBALL PLAYERS, the top students and their parents. There was a banquet in their honor along with trophies and other recognition, picture in the paper etc. This was a wonderful expression of his take on academics and the students and Carthage Community really appreciated this event. I guess the biggest expression of his commitment to academics is that the FOOTBALL PROGRAM sponsored this event and paid all the bills. This speaks volumes to Gary's commitment to academics.

Give him time, you will see results. I witnessed his "touch" up close and personal at Riverdale the early 90's.

Tornado89.

I respect Rankin. IMO, cut from the same cloth as Maynord @ Smith, and Pemberton @ Catholic. Tough, honest, direct, people, coaches, and administrators who all worked closely @ some point in time. There is no doubt in my mind that Rankin is capable of correcting the perception that there may be some "special dispensation" concerning some athletes. I know, for the most part it is a perception that is driven by some with an unhealthy agenda. I know that there are a number of D1 athletes @ Alcoa that have, and will qualify. Lanxter (07), Sommer (08), Cobb (08), and Sam Thompson (09). Unfortunately, the reality of their success will not overshadow the lack of qualifying by some other high profile D1 caliber athletes because some folks really enjoy bad news. I have no grandchildren that go there, kids that went there or any other significant loyalty to Alcoa. I am a fan of how they play the game. Just like the teams at Fulton, Catholic, AE, Maryville, and some others. I wish Rankin all the best.

ruse?

Tornado89.

I respect Rankin. IMO, cut from the same cloth as Maynord @ Smith, and Pemberton @ Catholic. Tough, honest, direct, people, coaches, and administrators who all worked closely @ some point in time. There is no doubt in my mind that Rankin is capable of correcting the perception that there may be some "special dispensation" concerning some athletes. I know, for the most part it is a perception that is driven by some with an unhealthy agenda. I know that there are a number of D1 athletes @ Alcoa that have, and will qualify. Lanxter (07), Sommer (08), Cobb (08), and Sam Thompson (09). Unfortunately, the reality of their success will not overshadow the lack of qualifying by some other high profile D1 caliber athletes because some folks really enjoy bad news. I have no grandchildren that go there, kids that went there or any other significant loyalty to Alcoa. I am a fan of how they play the game. Just like the teams at Fulton, Catholic, AE, Maryville, and some others. I wish Rankin all the best.

ruse?

Ruse?, no harm, thanks. Did Pemberton coach under Rankin at Riverdale? I don't remember him, but I haven't lived there since 1995. Thanks

Ruse?, no harm, thanks. Did Pemberton coach under Rankin at Riverdale? I don't remember him, but I haven't lived there since 1995. Thanks

I don't think he did. He did coach under Maynord at Upperman. Maynord coached under Rankin at Riverdale. Maynord and Pemberton also played

together at TTU.

Tornado89.

Antwan has it right. I think there might be some kind of connection to Midway as well. The three must still be pretty tight. Catholic has played Smith the last two years, and when Rankin came to Alcoa, he and Pemberton got together for a spring scrimmage. I was hoping that with Alcoa & Fulton ending, and with the Catholic/Bearden deal not getting done that Alcoa and Catholic could have got together. Catholic wound up with Morristown West. Problem is that will be the same night as Mville/Alcoa. Gotta go to Blount County, and hope that the other gets picked up on TV.

ruse?

I'm pretty sure Pemberton has coached at Crossville, Rockwood, Rhea and KC. Head coach @ Rockwood and KC. I may have missed one or two

ruse? I can remember when Pemberton was the QB at Rockwood and he was a great competitor.

Saw him play against Mairvul in the 2A semis in 1977. Rockwood had Pemberton and the Chatman brothers, Leroy and Tony, in the backfield with him. I believe one or both of the Chatmans went to TTU with Pemberton.

Mairvul won a hard fought game 7-0 that night on a long run by Mairvul Wishbone QB Ronnie "Tater Tot" Irwin.

ruse? I can remember when Pemberton was the QB at Rockwood and he was a great competitor.

Saw him play against Mairvul in the 2A semis in 1977. Rockwood had Pemberton and the Chatman brothers, Leroy and Tony, in the backfield with him. I believe one or both of the Chatmans went to TTU with Pemberton.

Mairvul won a hard fought game 7-0 that night on a long run by Mairvul Wishbone QB Ronnie "Tater Tot" Irwin.

Yes, the chatman twins did both play at TTU they where very good 2 sport players.

that rockwood team was very good.

STARSNBARS.

Glad to know there are posters on here that are as old as I:)

ruse?