Murphy Fair's 2007 Football Preview

Big Country

Murphy has never done anything to harm high school sports and has been helpful to me, and I to him, whenever we could. I drive 35 miles to get his book as soon as it comes out and use it to help fill in schedules and as a reference on prospects around the state. His book is inexpensive and helps promote high school sports. I leaned on him early on to help me out a couple of times, and he did the same, and I look forward to seeing him and his wife at the state finals each year.

Personally, I have a bigger problem with others who promote their magazines and sell photos, etc without even bothering to ask permission much less offering to pay an advertising fee. My personal rule on that is if they legitimately contribute back to this site on the message boards, or entering schedules, or helping post final scores, etc, then I tend to let it go. When their sole purpose is to use this site to promote their ventures then I take steps to end that. It has taken me ten years (this October) to get to this point and I kinda expect others to pay their dues, too.

Someone let me know when Murphy's book comes out. I have a short drive to take.

QUOTE(neyland @ Jun 11 2007 - 07:26 PM) 826473984[/snapback]And isn't there an amazon.com add with your post? What does amazon.com do for high school football in Tennessee?

The Amazon ad is my ad, not his.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FootballFan423 @ Jun 12 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826474240[/snapback]I believe the mighty part was sarcasm...

Good Call /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

CoachT, the magazine should be available at places such as Books-A-Million & Tennessee Sports Fan in the middle of July (likely the second or third week). At least that is what I was told when I spoke with "The Guru" last week.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 12 2007 - 01:05 PM) 826474235[/snapback]the only other "magazines" for the west end of the state are "on the ball"....but apparently the small area of memphis isnt included in west tn as far as the editors of that publication are concerned.

OTB expanded into Memphis and DeSoto County in December. The football preview in August will include those schools.

QUOTE(TheBoredGuy @ Jun 12 2007 - 03:17 PM) 826474281[/snapback]OTB expanded into Memphis and DeSoto County in December. The football preview in August will include those schools.

'preciate that information. for the longest time i couldnt understand how west tennesse was between union city on down south to jackson. does that now mean the magazine will be made availabe in this area as well?...or will it continue to be a northern west tn thing?

The OTB midstate preview was refreshing last year. Since they had a smaller area to cover, they were able to get more in-depth on teams and players. Since Murphy tries his best to encompass every team in the state of Tennessee, it's a lot harder to do.

Don't knock Murphy for what he does or doesn't do. He's a great man who loves TN high school football and does his best to promote it when possible.

It seems quite a few on here has a passion for the Murphy Fair Magazine. I’m glad for the ones who feel this way and the feedback was informative good discussion. I expect more from the magazine but most feel the product is good enough. If nothing else, the discussion has produced additional interest in the magazine than previous.

If you like to insult me, that is fine. I’m a big boy. I can dish it out as well as take. My message box is open for discussion as well. Ravenwood has nothing to do with my opinion on Murphy Fair Magazine and should be left out of the insults. It is a fine high school with honorable coaches and students.

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Jun 12 2007 - 07:58 PM) 826474371[/snapback]It seems quite a few on here has a passion for the Murphy Fair Magazine. I’m glad for the ones who feel this way and the feedback was informative good discussion. I expect more from the magazine but most feel the product is good enough. If nothing else, the discussion has produced additional interest in the magazine than previous.

If you like to insult me, that is fine. I’m a big boy. I can dish it out as well as take. My message box is open for discussion as well. Ravenwood has nothing to do with my opinion on Murphy Fair Magazine and should be left out of the insults. It is a fine high school with honorable coaches and students.

never said anything about ravenwood not having "honorable coaches and students." coming from a school thats been around over 135 years, i have a slight problem with someone proclaiming themselves "mighty" after having only a couple senior classes. BUT our "beef" (or lack thereof) has been resolved, so there will be no sending of messages between the two of us. thanks anyway.

wish there more folks like murphy fair across the state of tennessee who do as much for high school football as he does.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:05 PM) 826474373[/snapback]never said anything about ravenwood not having "honorable coaches and students." coming from a school thats been around over 135 years, i have a slight problem with someone proclaiming themselves "mighty" after having only a couple senior classes. BUT our "beef" (or lack thereof) has been resolved, so there will be no sending of messages between the two of us. thanks anyway.

wish there more folks like murphy fair across the state of tennessee who do as much for high school football as he does.

Please show me what you are talking about proclaiming "mighty".

On football Friday's in the Middle Tennessee area, two radio shows about the current games from 9 to 11 PM, one on ESPN 106.7 and the other on The Zone 104.5. Murphy Fair is on one of shows. Is it broadcasted across the State or is this a Middle Tennessee thing?

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Jun 12 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826474390[/snapback]On football Friday's in the Middle Tennessee area, two radio shows about the current games from 9 to 11 PM, one on ESPN 106.7 and the other on The Zone 104.5. Murphy Fair is on one of shows. Is it broadcasted across the State or is this a Middle Tennessee thing?

Middle TN thing.

Knoxville area has the 99.1 show after the "Knoxville (Catholic) Area Game of the Week." It's typically only 30 minutes or so and scores with the occasional coach call in. (Hope they don't buy every telecast ag

In all honesty, 96.5 out of Lexington does the best Friday night coverage I know of. They start about 3 or 4 and go until midnight.

As for Murphy, I skim his site about once a season. I think he does a good job with middle TN knowledge, but outside of that I don't think he's that great. Not that I would expect him to be, but it is the truth.

But, I do have problems when people drop plus memberships then use the forum to promote other profit-driven ventures.