Recruit Tracker

ruse?

It's no secret that these guys have jumped into the "recruiting" service pool with both feet. They seem to have focused on "talent evaluation" as a means to enter the market. Doesn't seem like there is much desire to get into the whole "posting of messages/clips/camps/combines" stuff yet. They must have received film on a bunch of these kids because there was a pretty in depth analysis of each player's strengths and areas for improvement. They assigned each player a grade of somewhere between 40 and 80 with the exception of those players that they denoted as being on a national 150 list. There were a total of 90 players from TN listed. Here is how the National 150 watch list, and those of grades between 70-80 were listed. I know Philips is at Sullivan South, Spurlock @ Riverdale, etc. Obviously, I have not seen all these kids play, but the ones that I have seen are pretty accurately reflected in the evaluations. FWIW, that is just one large organizations view of the top 15-20 in the state of TN.

150 Watch List.

Some of the kids on that list are already graduated (ie Thomas Majors from Maplewood in Nashville). Daniel White is a running back so that is correct but he is not attending Memphis Overton High. He is a student athlete at Nashville's John Overton High. Those were just a couple of mistakes that I saw but anyway ESPN should be commended for getting these young men the recognition that they deserve.

BTW,out of the RB's i think Jeremy Holt out of Lipscomb will be a huge suprise next year..he is a very good athlete with good strength...he has looks,hopefully he takes advantage of losing Matt Elrod and continues developing as a runner.I heard Vandy was in the picture for him...hearsay maybe

BTW,out of the RB's i think Jeremy Holt out of Lipscomb will be a huge suprise next year..he is a very good athlete with good strength...he has looks,hopefully he takes advantage of losing Matt Elrod and continues developing as a runner.I heard Vandy was in the picture for him...hearsay maybe

Lipscomb's backfield will be loaded with Holt, Davis, & Moneypenny all returning from last year's team.

• 3 weeks later...

Lipscomb is really loaded in the backfield this year. Their challenges will be in rebuilding their line.

BTW Jeremy Holt benches over 300 lbs and has worked his tail off in the weight room. He should be ready to have a great year.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN Recruit Tracker just out with their Top 150. Interesting read/list. Controversial, but they make some pretty interesting, and accurate calls IMO. One of those examples would be Kyle Rudloph, whom rivals has as the #1 TE and is a Notre Dame commit, and is ranked by ESPN as # 102. Needless to say this inspired all the Domers to dismiss the list as worthless. What is interesting to note is that a # of people that follow this stuff have for about a year now been wondering about Rudolph's blocking skills. Plays for a great program in Cinci, OH. Elder, but at 6-6, 220, is he not better suited to be a WR? Anyway, last week rivals comes out with their Best Receiving, Route Running, and Fastest TE. Curiously enough, no "blocking" category. Last I checked, blocking was pretty important for TEs'. While I don't agree with all of what ESPN had to say, they do call it like they see it, and don't just seem to ignore an important role for a position to continue to justify a ranking.

Clearly though the bad news is that TN only had one on the list of Top 150. In contrast AL, had 6 in just the TOP 50. FL had 10 in just the Top 50. TX had 6 in the Top 50, and CA had 2 in Top 50. Having seen a lot of HS ball over the last 40 or so yrs, TN is not as strong as FL, AL, TX, etc, but TN is also not that far behind. Just NO WAY.

ruse?

After reviewing the ESPN recruit tracker it appears several in-state players are ranked in the top 50 in the nation at their respective position. IMO thats not bad but agree with ruse. ESPN has implemented a interesting evaluation system which results in each player receiving a description and numerical grade. They breakdown the numerical grading system into categories which project where they see a players chances at the next level D1A, D1AA, etc. IMO this system doesn't necassarily allow you to ride on the shirttail of another sites evaluation or skew either way an evaluation on a prospect based primarily on a early commitment. The ones recongnized that I saw play are very deserving.

After reviewing the ESPN recruit tracker it appears several in-state players are ranked in the top 50 in the nation at their respective position. IMO thats not bad but agree with ruse. ESPN has implemented a interesting evaluation system which results in each player receiving a description and numerical grade. They breakdown the numerical grading system into categories which project where they see a players chances at the next level D1A, D1AA, etc. IMO this system doesn't necassarily allow you to ride on the shirttail of another sites evaluation or skew either way an evaluation on a prospect based primarily on a early commitment. The ones recongnized that I saw play are very deserving.

Predatorsfan.

I agree. Recruit Tracker seems to be far more in depth in terms of individual evaluation, projection to the next level, and in short less "hype" oriented. If you check an individuals profile on Rivals, very few, if any have any comments in the "scouting" section. Players seem to be rated based on the number articles written by Rivals staff, or by how someone performed @ a "partner" camp/combine ie. Nike.

There has been chatter on the main Rivals message aboard about how the score at ESPN equates to the Star ranking system with the general consensus that those above a 70 at ESPN would be a Three Star, and so on. Now, while there are a number of players in TN that are in the Top 50 position wise, there is still no way that TN has only one player in the Top 150, hype or no hype, IMO.

It just seems like other areas/states do a better job of getting the names of top prospects out there. They have combines/camps at the major schools, or near then anyway. They have undercalssmen all state teams, and Junior elite camps so that the names of the kids get out earlier, which in turn brings more attention to others. In fact, there are several folks who start threads regularly on the main recruiting baord at rivals about the Top 100 for 09, Top Receivers for 09, Elite 11 QBs for 09, Top 50 for South Carolina, Top 100 for Texas, etc. Have yet to see a list for TN, and have only seen one TN player mentioned in those Top 100 for 09 threads. It's a numbers game and the more kids that get exposure the more will get the evaluations. I am not suggesting some massive campaign of list creation, but there should be some thought given to this because those years in which a TN player has a high rating, they play well, and early. Examples would be Turner, Oher, Warren. There are others that are just a step behind them that should get more credit, and some behind those that don't get the shot because they don't get the exposure. Just something to think about.

ruse?