TSSAA rules

Stat_pack1

I had a question asked of me and was wondering if anyone knew the rule. Parents wanted to know....they had a job offer in East Tenn. and was considering moving..but was told that their son wouldn't be able to play football this year if they moved because of rule......anyone know? Sure would be tough for a parent to have to turn down a better job just so their son would be able to play. If anyone knows the rules on this ...sure would appreciate any info I coulc pass on to them.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a question asked of me and was wondering if anyone knew the rule. Parents wanted to know....they had a job offer in East Tenn. and was considering moving..but was told that their son wouldn't be able to play football this year if they moved because of rule......anyone know? Sure would be tough for a parent to have to turn down a better job just so their son would be able to play. If anyone knows the rules on this ...sure would appreciate any info I coulc pass on to them.

This is straight out of the handbook hope this helps

Section 11. General Provisions.

Residence. A student changing schools for any reason, to be eligible, must live at home with his/her parent(s) or guardian(s), unless:

A: the student is moving to a boarding school and has no athletic record the previous twelve months in any sport;

B: the student is moving as a direct result of the dissolution of the student's home due to death;

C: the student is moving as a direct result of the divorce of the student's parents; or

D: the student is moving as a direct result of the separation of the student's parents, provided a complaint or petition for absolute divorce has been filed with a court having jurisdiction to grant the divorce.

"Transfer Student" Defined. A transfer student is any student changing schools for any reason other than having completed the highest, or terminal, grade at another school. A student who must change schools because he/she has completed the highest grade at his/her previous school is not considered a transfer student and is eligible to participate in athletics at any school he/she attends, without further approval, provided he/she satisfies the residence requirement above.

Executive Director Approval Required. A school may not allow a transfer student to participate in athletics until his/her eligibility has been verified and approved by the Executive Director. The school is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the information supplied to the Executive Director for this purpose.

Participation While Ineligible. If a student who is ineligible, under these provisions regarding students changing schools, competes in a contest while ineligible, then the student upon becoming eligible under these provisions will nonetheless be ineligible to participate in twice the number of contests in which he/she participated as an ineligible student or will be ineligible for the remainder of the season, whichever is less.

Section 12. Eligible Transfer Students.

Except as otherwise provided in Section 13 below, the following transfer students are eligible:

a. The student has no athletic record in the previous twelve months in any sport sponsored by TSSAA;

b. There has been a bona fide change of residence by the student's parents or guardian. If such a change of residence occurs between school years, the student must transfer at the beginning of the school year to be eligible. If the change of residence occurs during the school year, the student may transfer without loss of eligibility (1) at the time his/her parents change residence; (2) at the end of the next report card period; (3) at the close of the semester or term; or (4) at the close of the school year;

c. The student changes schools as a direct result of re-zoning or reassignment of students by the local school system;

d. The student is moving from a boarding school to the school serving the territory where his/her parents live, or vice versa, provided the student has attended the school he/she is leaving for a minimum of twelve months and provided the principal at the school he/she is leaving indicates in writing that the move is not for athletic or disciplinary reasons. The move must be at the beginning of the school year. (Note: The school must be outside the day school territory of the boarding school.);

e. The student is transferring to a senior high school in the same system into the earliest grade offered at that senior high school, i.e. at the student's first opportunity to move to that school.

f. The student who has been determined by a Court to be dependent and neglected and consequently changes residences and schools as a result of a Court order;

g. The first time the student changes residence from one parent to the other as a result of a court ordered custody change, so long as the principal of the former school attests in writing that the move was not for athletic or disciplinary reasons; or

h. The first time the student changes residence from a guardian to either or both parents as a result of a court ordered custody change, so long as the principal of the former school attests in writing that the move was not for athletic or disciplinary reasons;

i. The student is attending school where the student's parent works as a full-time employee, that parent takes a full-time job at a different school, and the student transfers to the school where the parent takes the new job. The transfer must take place when the parent takes the job or, if the job change occurs during the school year, the transfer must be made at the beginning of the following school year;

j. The student who transfers from school A to school B and then returns to school A without having participated in any sport at any level or without practicing in any sport at any level at school B. This must be verified in writing by the administration of school B.

Section 13. Ineligible Transfer Students.

The following transfer students are ineligible for a period of twelve months from the student's last participation date (these provisions do not apply to students who have no athletic record for the previous or current school year):

a. A student who transfers without a bona fide change of residence by his/her parents;

b. A student who transfers as a result of a change of residence is ineligible unless (1) the old residence is outside the territory of the new school, and (2) the new residence is both outside the territory of the old school and inside the territory of the new school;

c. If a student has been ruled eligible as a result of a change of residence, and the parents or guardian return to the former residence before the student has been enrolled in the new school for one complete school year (or twelve months if the transfer occurred during the school year), the student will be ineligible for twelve months from his/her last participation date;

d. If a student has satisfied all other requirements for eligibility but was under discipline at his/her former school, the student shall be ineligible at the new school for twelve months or until the disciplinary charges have been removed, whichever is less.

If the ineligible student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year in football, basketball, baseball, girls softball, or track and field, the student is ineligible in all of these sports. In all other sports, ineligibility applies only to the particular sport in which the ineligible student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year.

Section 14. Practice Rules.

Only students who are enrolled and in regular attendance at a school may participate in practice.

A student who engages in three or more days of practice with a school in which the student is enrolled shall be ineligible in that sport for that season if the student enrolls in another school without a corresponding change in the residence of the student's parents.

A student who engages in three or more days of off-season practice with a school in which the student is enrolled shall be ineligible in that sport the following season if the student enrolls in another school without a corresponding change in the residence of the student's parents.

lax......sure appreciate the info....now that I'm cross eyed from reading all that....I think what it says...they can except the job this summer and the young man would be able to play for a new school out east......he is moving from the western part of the state. Thanks again.....I'll certainly pass it on!

lax......sure appreciate the info....now that I'm cross eyed from reading all that....I think what it says...they can except the job this summer and the young man would be able to play for a new school out east......he is moving from the western part of the state. Thanks again.....I'll certainly pass it on!

hopoe it all works out for em

I wanted to thank everyone for the info. I passed it on last night........the dad called me just alittle bit ago and excepted the job. He is a police officer..and he told me his wife has already received offers also.......she is a RN. Again thanks to all.....sure took a burdon off of them.....they were going to turn it down if it punished the kids!

Appreciate it!