SONNY GRAY

I am not trying to put anyone down but I do get a little sideways with everyone that claims to run a 4.5 forty when most 4.5 hand timed fortys are really about 4.65 electronic fortys depending on the running surface. It's much easier to run a 4.5 on a hard track than a high school football field where the grass has some legenth or on some of the new field turf. Sonny Gray is a very good kid and he will do fine in life but my gut tells me that he may very well take the money of MLB. If he is offered a signing bonus with seven figures and his education paid for should he ever wish to return to school he will have to take a close look at the big picture which is making a living.Let's hope that the young man stays healthy during football and has the option of college baseball or professional baseball because we all know that one hit can change your life forever.

i understand what your saying and agree with you totally, except on the speed, to me it doesnt matter what your running on, a 4 5 or 4 6 is still what it is. honestly i would take the money and run, of course you could go back to school later, if neccasary. theres a kid from Ooltewa high school last year that had a full ride to Vandy and did what you said, took the money i think his name was Tyler Burke a very good baseball player, they said every scout in the country was begging for him, the same for Sonny Gray i m sure.

I am not trying to put anyone down but I do get a little sideways with everyone that claims to run a 4.5 forty when most 4.5 hand timed fortys are really about 4.65 electronic fortys depending on the running surface. It's much easier to run a 4.5 on a hard track than a high school football field where the grass has some legenth or on some of the new field turf. Sonny Gray is a very good kid and he will do fine in life but my gut tells me that he may very well take the money of MLB. If he is offered a signing bonus with seven figures and his education paid for should he ever wish to return to school he will have to take a close look at the big picture which is making a living.Let's hope that the young man stays healthy during football and has the option of college baseball or professional baseball because we all know that one hit can change your life forever.

i understand what your saying and agree with you totally, except on the speed, to me it doesnt matter what your running on, a 4 5 or 4 6 is still what it is. honestly i would take the money and run, of course you could go back to school later, if neccasary. theres a kid from Ooltewa high school last year that had a full ride to Vandy and did what you said, took the money i think his name was Tyler Burke a very good baseball player, they said every scout in the country was begging for him, the same for Sonny Gray i m sure.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand what your saying and agree with you totally, except on the speed, to me it doesnt matter what your running on, a 4 5 or 4 6 is still what it is. honestly i would take the money and run, of course you could go back to school later, if neccasary. theres a kid from Ooltewa high school last year that had a full ride to Vandy and did what you said, took the money i think his name was Tyler Burke a very good baseball player, they said every scout in the country was begging for him, the same for Sonny Gray i m sure.i understand what your saying and agree with you totally, except on the speed, to me it doesnt matter what your running on, a 4 5 or 4 6 is still what it is. honestly i would take the money and run, of course you could go back to school later, if neccasary. theres a kid from Ooltewa high school last year that had a full ride to Vandy and did what you said, took the money i think his name was Tyler Burke a very good baseball player, they said every scout in the country was begging for him, the same for Sonny Gray i m sure.

His name was Kyler Burke and he hasn't done too well in the lowest end of A ball since signing. He may have some pocket money but at this rate it may be another 3-4 years before he gets a real shot at getting the bigs. He would've been smarter to go to college because I saw him at the state tournament his senior year and didn't think he was really pro ball [even minors] ready yet. I think the Padres scout just wanted to get in their organization and use his potential later...bring him on slow..which is admirable. Problem is, they traded him to the Cubs organization this year so the Padres weren't that patient [getting Mike Barrett was good for them, but trading a high level pick just a year or so afterwards...kinda says something].

Anyways, as Sonny the football player goes, he's the best quarterback in the state but not the best QB college prospect in the state because of his size. It's the harsh reality...but, the door is also open for him to play football at Vanderbilt if he so choosed too as well. And yes, they would let him try to play both sports if he so choosed to..to those who don't believe they would.

His name was Kyler Burke and he hasn't done too well in the lowest end of A ball since signing. He may have some pocket money but at this rate it may be another 3-4 years before he gets a real shot at getting the bigs. He would've been smarter to go to college because I saw him at the state tournament his senior year and didn't think he was really pro ball [even minors] ready yet. I think the Padres scout just wanted to get in their organization and use his potential later...bring him on slow..which is admirable. Problem is, they traded him to the Cubs organization this year so the Padres weren't that patient [getting Mike Barrett was good for them, but trading a high level pick just a year or so afterwards...kinda says something].

Anyways, as Sonny the football player goes, he's the best quarterback in the state but not the best QB college prospect in the state because of his size. It's the harsh reality...but, the door is also open for him to play football at Vanderbilt if he so choosed too as well. And yes, they would let him try to play both sports if he so choosed to..to those who don't believe they would.

Pocket Money? over 900K plus 300K or so for college is hardly "pocket money". Kyler will have his college paid for by MLB, he has money for a Vanderbilt education waiting for him when he is done playing pro ball. His choice was fine! The Padres were very please with his progress, in fact the Cubs would not have made the deal unless the minor league player to be named later was Kyler Burke. The Cubs had seen him play in Spring Training as well as scouted him in High School the year before. Sonny is a great player, baseball and football. I have seen him play both. If he could get the same type money Kyler did he would be crazy to turn down as you say the "pocket money". IMO