7 0n 7, It is not football

fb247

What is the big deal with 7on7. Yes, teams are passing and catching balls, running routes and playing defense, but it is not football. The game is much different with pads and full teams blocking and rushing.The QB is not protected now and he will get hit. Defenders will now have to be able to tackle and receivers will get hit also.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the big deal with 7on7. Yes, teams are passing and catching balls, running routes and playing defense, but it is not football. The game is much different with pads and full teams blocking and rushing.The QB is not protected now and he will get hit. Defenders will now have to be able to tackle and receivers will get hit also.

The mental reps alone are invaluable. Offensively kids learn proper route running, route adjustments, drops, mechanics and reads in a more controlled environment that will hopefully make them instinctual by the time to put on pads. Defensively they get all their technique work, drops, breaks and see far more passing than they will in the course of a season. It allows coaches the opportunity to experiment without any real risk and waste of valuable time in pads. It is another form of practice often in the hottest part of the summer that gets kids in better shape for two-a-days. INVALUABLE.

why isnt there something like this for linemen....big bois need some luv too ya kno ..becaus w/o them there wouldnt be any route runnong or time for the qb to throw........

This a good point. Passing is not the same unless full team and live.

I do not like alot of 7 on 7. It helps DBs a little on angles, coverage responsibilities, and battling (illegal but common) picks. They do not have to respect play action, of course. The value for timing for offense is way over-rated, IMHO. The shotgun center snap is not pressured and that is where play timing starts. Also there is no rush and short dump off passes can be thrown straight to a back instead of having to loft it above lineman. Any amount of pitching and catching is helpful for QB's and WR's, of course. These kind of reps could also be accomplished on your own practice field, in most cases.

I think it really is a ploy of bored and fired up coaching staffs to start football practice earlier. The new TSSAA rules on additional dead weeks beginning next year will likely kill most of these "passing leagues".

Then why are you so hot for it to be controlled by TSSAA? Should they not be able to get out there as much as they like since it is not football? TSSAA has no limitations on the teams getting together at the play grounds and swinging.

Passing leagues are extremely important. It solidifies the timing between WR and QB. With the exception of giving the center some practice on snapping it is just for teams that run the gun. I don't even see play action benefiting from 77's. New QB's with a slow release and new WR's that round off their patterns will quickly learn in 77's that they must perfect their style. That's all...nothing complicated. Of course it doesn't provide what a full bore scrimmage would. But it does accomplish what it's said intentions are designed for. And no, it is not a good idea for the guys to get together and go to the park or wherever and "throw". Unsupervised, it is an excellent opportunity for someone to get hurt. Now for AAU to jump in the mix is probably not good. It will make football a year round sport...in the true sense of the word. It won't be good. College coaches will love it though and might very well promote it. It will make their job easier. It will leave behind the QB's and WR's that don't participate. The AAU is looking for a way to make money...nothing more nothing less. I am not an advocate of AAU basketball but the words came straight from Coach Summits mouth when my daughter attended the UT roundball camp this summer. She told them AAU was a very important experience for the ones intending on playing college basketball and will help immensly in getting their name out to the coaches. As far as linemen are concerned, I think that linemen need to work on speed. Period. And the perfect way to do that is to go to a TaeKwonDo studio and become a valued member and work out 3 days a week. In the off season alone progress will be noticed. 77's are a good thing...until the AAU takes over...then it will be a business.

Well, the specifics of the benefits I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that TX (who most would argue has the best high school football in the nation) has 7-on-7 practically as a religion. Almost as many people come out to watch those "passing leagues" as the regular season games. There's got to be something to it. I think TN should do more of it.

Then why are you so hot for it to be controlled by TSSAA? Should they not be able to get out there as much as they like since it is not football? TSSAA has no limitations on the teams getting together at the play grounds and swinging.

I am not hot. I mentioned nothing about being controlled br TSSAA or anyone. If you will look at the post title, I said it is not football in the way it will be played in the fall. There are some kids who will look great in 7 on 7 ,but not so good come time to put the pads on. I am just asking for opinions on how it relates to the real thing. I never said it was a waste of time ,either. Now respond to the original post. Thanks.