7 0n 7, It is not football

fb247

Well, the specifics of the benefits I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that TX (who most would argue has the best high school football in the nation) has 7-on-7 practically as a religion. Almost as many people come out to watch those "passing leagues" as the regular season games. There's got to be something to it. I think TN should do more of it.

Before long it will be it's own sport.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the big deal with 7on7. Yes, teams are passing and catching balls, running routes and playing defense, but it is not football. The game is much different with pads and full teams blocking and rushing.The QB is not protected now and he will get hit. Defenders will now have to be able to tackle and receivers will get hit also.

I agree, How are you susposed to get ready from the season without a little contact. i Understand were you are coming from.

I watched Greeneville HS and Science Hill last night in Greeneville. Enjoyed it, inspite of the rain. After about the 50th play, I

stayed for about 20 more minutes and left.

Some thoughts (more to the negative side because I can list a lot of positives)

*It Was GHS 2 - SHHS 1, seemed irrelavent

*The Science Hill QB held on to the ball way to long and would move towards the line of Scrimmage. Not realistic.

*The GHS QB tried to get the ball off in a more timely fashion (more game time like) then he figured out he could hold onto the ball to and make it a little more Back yard like the Topper QB. The GHS qb was whistled twice for holding the ball to long.

*You can't duplicate pass rush or good or bad offensive line play

*A touch stops the play and how many catches would be coughed up on a hit or break a tackle and go all the way.

*Both teams probably interferred quite often but no penalties

*Only 1 true unnecessary on purpose push and that Topper was sat down by Coach Smith (nice job)

Probably do a positive list later

I am not hot. I mentioned nothing about being controlled br TSSAA or anyone. If you will look at the post title, I said it is not football in the way it will be played in the fall. There are some kids who will look great in 7 on 7 ,but not so good come time to put the pads on. I am just asking for opinions on how it relates to the real thing. I never said it was a waste of time ,either. Now respond to the original post. Thanks.

I was referencing your "Thanks TSSAA" post which was thanking the TSSAA for limiting practice time further. The lees TSSAA are involved the better.

I was referencing your "Thanks TSSAA" post which was thanking the TSSAA for limiting practice time further. The lees TSSAA are involved the better.

No rules ,that is what we need. I hope you are in agreement that TSSAA was right in regards to Brentwood Academy. For that alone I will always be grateful for rules and enforcing them. The decision to limit 7on7 during June will not hurt any football team. No sport should get to the point where it is year-round.I think staying in shape and improving physically in speed ,quickness ,stength.and agility is important.Coaches have gone to the extreme in some cases.

I do not like alot of 7 on 7. It helps DBs a little on angles, coverage responsibilities, and battling (illegal but common) picks. They do not have to respect play action, of course. The value for timing for offense is way over-rated, IMHO. The shotgun center snap is not pressured and that is where play timing starts. Also there is no rush and short dump off passes can be thrown straight to a back instead of having to loft it above lineman. Any amount of pitching and catching is helpful for QB's and WR's, of course. These kind of reps could also be accomplished on your own practice field, in most cases.

I think it really is a ploy of bored and fired up coaching staffs to start football practice earlier. The new TSSAA rules on additional dead weeks beginning next year will likely kill most of these "passing leagues".

This exact frame of thought is what keeps many programs “behind the eight ball”. What about weight training and conditioning? There’s no contact there, but you have to agree that it is necessary in order to improve the athlete’s performance. 7 on 7 is almost like a golfer going to the driving range, or someone that hunts going to the firing range. It’s a way for the players (QB’s, WR’s, RB’s, DB’s, and LB’s) to sharpen their skills or try new approaches with a lower risk of injury.

This exact frame of thought is what keeps many programs “behind the eight ball”. What about weight training and conditioning? There’s no contact there, but you have to agree that it is necessary in order to improve the athlete’s performance. 7 on 7 is almost like a golfer going to the driving range, or someone that hunts going to the firing range. It’s a way for the players (QB’s, WR’s, RB’s, DB’s, and LB’s) to sharpen their skills or try new approaches with a lower risk of injury.

Good post cap

TSSAA usually doesn’t get involved until some coach or program has found a way to cheat the system in one way or the other…unbalancing the playing field.

I agree 100%

I watched Greeneville HS and Science Hill last night in Greeneville. Enjoyed it, inspite of the rain. After about the 50th play, I

stayed for about 20 more minutes and left.

Some thoughts (more to the negative side because I can list a lot of positives)

*It Was GHS 2 - SHHS 1, seemed irrelavent

*The Science Hill QB held on to the ball way to long and would move towards the line of Scrimmage. Not realistic.

*The GHS QB tried to get the ball off in a more timely fashion (more game time like) then he figured out he could hold onto the ball to and make it a little more Back yard like the Topper QB. The GHS qb was whistled twice for holding the ball to long.

*You can't duplicate pass rush or good or bad offensive line play

*A touch stops the play and how many catches would be coughed up on a hit or break a tackle and go all the way.

*Both teams probably interferred quite often but no penalties

*Only 1 true unnecessary on purpose push and that Topper was sat down by Coach Smith (nice job)

Probably do a positive list later

The score was 2 to 2. Science Hill had a pick and ran it back. I thought Greenville looked pretty good. The QB for Greenville had good zip in his throws. I thought Science Hill looked okay, I've seen better from them.

Did Greenville have their starting linebackers in there on defense or where they all defensive backs? The reason I ask is because I thought Greenville looked small on the field compared to Science Hill.

Greenville, I liked the green helmets.

The score was 2 to 2. Science Hill had a pick and ran it back. I thought Greenville looked pretty good. The QB for Greenville had good zip in his throws. I thought Science Hill looked okay, I've seen better from them.

Did Greenville have their starting linebackers in there on defense or where they all defensive backs? The reason I ask is because I thought Greenville looked small on the field compared to Science Hill.

Greenville, I liked the green helmets.

Yes those were their LBs mini giants 5'9 200lbers that can run, hit and very strong