Football Articals in the Knotz News Rag

FBEmeritus

Today there was a great deal of discussion on Sports Talk 99.1 about parents watching practice and approaching the coaches in high school. At Maryville it is not unusual for 50 to 100 people, mostly parents to be at practice to watch GQ and the staff get the kids ready for the next contest/season. I go from time to time and my kids have graduated and moved on. I love to watch the master at work and love the sport of football. I support GQ and staff 100% in word and deed and would never want to be a hindrance. Like most fans and as a former low level coach I have seconded guessed GQ, even though it is a sin, but never in a disrespectful way or to my sons. Just mostly dads talking to other dad.

I don't think it is a bad thing to watch practice as long as parents keep their mouths shut and let the coaches do their job. If they go home and tell their sons the coach is and idiot, that is bad! The articles made me think GQ did not like people at his practices. I'm not sure that is the case but it made me feel that way. Two of my sons could have maybe gone to the next level (Small College) but I never asked for GQ's impute and the boys were not interested because the next level is a real job. I know some parents have confronted the coaches but I am not sure that is all bad ether if the parent understands the game and that the coach has a life and a job to do.

What do you guys think about this subject?

I don't believe practice attendance has any correlation to medaling parents. A trouble making parent is going interfere whether they attend practice or not. I am definitely old school on this subject.

Having been heavily involved in youth sports all of my life, I dared my kids to come to me and complain about playing time, position, etc. They both tried it only once. My response, "Get your butt to work and earn a starting job. Daddy ain't gonna' get it for ya'!"

I coach youth football and better than half the kids have a parent at every practice. They don't bother us. They are enthusiastic. As I said, A medaling parent is going to cause trouble whether we have open practice or not. We have a parent now who thinks we are not spending enough individual time with his child. We have decided our next response to his complaint will be, "Oh, I thought you were going to thank me for the 12-14 hours a week I spend working for this team."

I don't believe practice attendance has any correlation to medaling parents. A trouble making parent is going interfere whether they attend practice or not. I am definitely old school on this subject.

Having been heavily involved in youth sports all of my life, I dared my kids to come to me and complain about playing time, position, etc. They both tried it only once. My response, "Get your butt to work and earn a starting job. Daddy ain't gonna' get it for ya'!"

I coach youth football and better than half the kids have a parent at every practice. They don't bother us. They are enthusiastic. As I said, A medaling parent is going to cause trouble whether we have open practice or not. We have a parent now who thinks we are not spending enough individual time with his child. We have decided our next response to his complaint will be, "Oh, I thought you were going to thank me for the 12-14 hours a week I spend working for this team."

The job You,David,Joey,Don and the rest of the assistants do is appreciated by this Maryville fan. I have a nephew playing for David this year.

Today there was a great deal of discussion on Sports Talk 99.1 about parents watching practice and approaching the coaches in high school. At Maryville it is not unusual for 50 to 100 people, mostly parents to be at practice to watch GQ and the staff get the kids ready for the next contest/season. I go from time to time and my kids have graduated and moved on. I love to watch the master at work and love the sport of football. I support GQ and staff 100% in word and deed and would never want to be a hindrance. Like most fans and as a former low level coach I have seconded guessed GQ, even though it is a sin, but never in a disrespectful way or to my sons. Just mostly dads talking to other dad.

I don't think it is a bad thing to watch practice as long as parents keep their mouths shut and let the coaches do their job. If they go home and tell their sons the coach is and idiot, that is bad! The articles made me think GQ did not like people at his practices. I'm not sure that is the case but it made me feel that way. Two of my sons could have maybe gone to the next level (Small College) but I never asked for GQ's impute and the boys were not interested because the next level is a real job. I know some parents have confronted the coaches but I am not sure that is all bad ether if the parent understands the game and that the coach has a life and a job to do.

What do you guys think about this subject?

IMO, the missing word in the "parents at practice" is "regularly." Parents who regularly attend practice have usually done so for a few years, and understand the "do's and dont's." Parents who regularly attend practice usually have a good feel for schedule, intensity level, individual vs. team stuff, coaches personalities, and don't interfere. Those that do are usually "quieted" by another parent or often a spouse, appologize, and come back the next day. Most of the parental issues at practice come up at this time of yr. when Johnny and Billy are fighting for a spot. It winds up and then down after the third to fourth scrimmage when Billy gets the spot, and Johnny begins dealing with it after getting over being angry or quits. From that point on, for the most part you deal w/parents that complain when things don't go well. For the most part, no person puts more pressure on the coach than the coach himself, spends more time evaluating how to improve more than the coach/staff; thus that is really nothing more than background noise.

No sense discussing with a parent why his or her player does not get more playing time. Can't predict opponents performance, injuries, elegibility issues. If one could, one would be a millionaire @ the beach. What one can do, is discuss how the player might improve. Rolling tape of practice/scrimmage/game and showing what the delta is between playing and not playing can be a eye opening experience for parents that are overly persistent. In the end, there is not one player on a college or NFL roster that has not experienced loss, frustration, inferiority, anger towards authority, etc. Same thing with CEOs, police, teachers, and...coaches. Everybody MUST learn how to fail.....and then improve. As a parent it is unhealthy to protect our children or granchildren from that.

If all else fails, hand the parent the clipboard. They will not take it. The clipboard represents all organizational responsibility, not just the responsibility of one player and one families dinner discussion. The scouting, 2 deep, O plan, D plan, special teams, academic concerns, media, concessions, booster club issues, on and on. Once the parent declines the clipboard, they do become less vocal.

ruse?