UTM SKYHAWKS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big game tonight!

Tennessee Tech coming to Martin with Watson Brown's new high octane offense! Averaging 43 points/game

Tailback Derek White 4th leading rusher in all of division I with 648 yards in 4 games.

(Would've figured that would be Chapman...)

Tech lost Lee Sweeney for appx. 5 weeks with a knee injury against Murray but Sparta boy Josh Lowery stepped in and played pretty well in his place.Still a big loss...

I expect Martin to come out & play tough and inspired as they desperately need a win!

GO TECH!!

THE SQUAD /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Tech wins 13-10.

Field Goal by TTU fairly early in the 3rd only points after a 10-10 tie at the half.

Derek White goes for about 120 yards for the Golden Eagles.

Good luck to the Skyhawks the rest of the way,hope you get it turned around!

THE SQUAD /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 1 month later...

I'm going to jump back on the Skyhawk Bandwagon for one game....This team was very competitve and with a couple of breaks could have been going back to the playoffs...Just go look at the scores of the OVC games....They are pretty young and I think they found themselves a quality QB in Cade Thompson who prepped at Maryville and went to South Carolina and got some valuable experience by preparing in the SEC atmosphere and what else can be said about being coached by Steve Spurrier...They will be tough to beat next season...Looks like they really put it on there former coach yesterday in the beatdown of Murray State....Here is the story from the UTM website......

November 10, 2007

MARTIN, Tenn. - Senior Don Chapman rushed for 204 yards on 23 carries and four touchdowns to lead the University of Tennessee at Martin (3-7, 3-4 OVC) to a 76-34 victory over Murray State (2-8, 1-6 OVC) Saturday afternoon at Hardy M. Graham Stadium.

Chapman becomes the 14th player ever in college football to rush for 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons. Chapman is UT Martin's all-time leading rusher and he will enter the last game of the season against Tennessee State with 4,914 career rushing yards. He is second in the nation among active players for career rushing yards.

"We should have been doing this (winning) all year long," Chapman said. "I am just a hungry person. I just want to win all the time. I am proud of myself and I am proud of my teammates for helping me get this record."

Among the 13 other players to rush for 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons are Tony Dorsett, Ron Dayne, Adrian Peterson (Georgia Southern) and Scott Phaydavong (currently playing his senior season at Drake).

"Don Chapman is a warrior," said Jason Simpson, the Skyhawks' head coach. "You can't ever measure a guy's heart and determination. He's one of those guys. I just hope he gets an opportunity at the next level. He has meant a lot to this program and I appreciate everything he has done. "

Chapman recorded his seventh 200-yard rushing game and has 23rd 100-yard rushing game against the Racers. Chapman, from Marietta, Ga., scored on touchdown runs of 22 yards, 50 yards, 1 yard and 9 yards. Chapman also had had two catches for 11yards. Chapman played the first half and only touched the ball three times in the second half.

UT Martin sophomore quarterback Cade Thompson completed 13-of-31 passes for 261 yards and four touchdowns. Roren Thomas hauled in two of those TD passes and finished the game with three catches for 144 yards.

The Skyhawks set nine records in the win over arch-rival Murray State. The Skyhawks set a record for most offensive yards in a single game with 821. Chapman led the attack with his career day, while sophomore Brandyn Young rushed for 159 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman Trace McDermott rushed 13 times for 158 yards and a touchdown.

"I am real excited that Brandyn Young and Trace McDermott will both be back," Simpson said. "We have had good backs all year, it is just that Donald gets the bulk of the carries and you don't get to see those other guys. It was good to get those guys some reps today."

The Skyhawks scored 28 unanswered points in the first quarter and were never threatened in the game. Murray State freshman quarterback Jeff Ehrhardt completed 31-of-54 passes for 315 yards and three touchdowns. Murray State managed 505 total yards of offense. Rod Haper had seven catches for 99 yards and two touchdown for the visiting Racers, while Marcus Harris had four catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns.

The Skyhawks will close out their 2007 campaign Saturday in Nashville against host Tennessee State. With a win the Skyhawks can even their OVC record at 4-4.

"Next week is another game," Chapman said. "I want to get me and the rest of these seniors out of here with another win."

Congrats to the Skyhawks on ending the season on a winning note....UTM beat the Tennessee St Tigers in Nashville at LP Field 43-38....Don Chapman ended a stellar career by rushing for over 100 yards again.....He finshed his career with over 5,000 yards rushing and 49 TD's.....The Skyhawks were relatively young this season and could be a factor again next season....UTM ended 4-7 but had a 4-4 OVC record and were in most of their games with a break or two here or there could possibly have returned to the playoffs this year....

Next season should be exciting around Martin...They are putting down the "near-turf" which will make a huge improvement in their facilities..Finally,the administration is starting to spend some money and it will help with recruiting.....

Good Luck in recruiting and good luck next season!!