Sycamore-Lipscomb Scrimmage

BassMagnet

Wasn't able to make the scrimmage, but heard DL won 21-0. Also heard that DL played a lot of younger kids after running at will early and that Sycamore had a kid go to the hospital. Anybody know who it was? The good signs for Sycamore was Carrigan and Pope and OLine, but the bad was the entire defense and especially the secondary.

Again, I wasn't there and all this was hearsay. Anybody know for sure?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't able to make the scrimmage, but heard DL won 21-0. Also heard that DL played a lot of younger kids after running at will early and that Sycamore had a kid go to the hospital. Anybody know who it was? The good signs for Sycamore was Carrigan and Pope and OLine, but the bad was the entire defense and especially the secondary.

Again, I wasn't there and all this was hearsay. Anybody know for sure?

I was there tonight and the info that you have given is ENTIRELY FALSE!!!

The final scoring with the varsity was 1-1. Lipscomb scored first on about a 30 yard TD run by Jeremy Holt. That score was setup by a huge interception return by one of the Lipscomb defensive backs on what was a poor decision by the War Eagles quarterback. OH WELL IT HAPPENS & THIS IS WHAT SCRIMMAGES ARE TRULY FOR!!! Sycamore came right back and scored their touchdown on fourth and goal from the five yard line. Jake Simms scored the TD when he picked up a fumbled snap and raced straight ahead into the endzone from five yards out.

Lipscomb got close to scoring another TD on the War Eagles defense but a great play by the Sycamore defense resulted in a Lipscomb back fumbling the football and Sycamore recoved the football right at the two yard line.

The Lipscomb JV added a TD against the War Eagles JV at the end of the night so if yo were doing all around finals it would be 2-1 Lipscomb. The JV entered the game following the injury to Sycamore WR/DB Dalton Lane.

BOTH TEAMS have a lot to work on to get back to the level that they both played at just one year ago however everyone has work to do at this point in the year. That's what these scrimmages are all about is to test teams and find out certain strengths and weaknesses heading into the regular season (WHICH IS JUST 1 WEEK AWAY).

the news on sophmore dalton lane is broken ankle and torn ligamate

Sorry to hear that buddy. Dalton is a fine young man who was going to get his opportunity to play this year in the War Eagles secondary. He was also seeing some time at WR. He will truly be missed this season but the great news is that the young man can come back from this and have himself an outstanding junior season in 2008.

From my observations in this one I'd say the following:

STRENGTHS

Sycamore Running Game, Offensive Line, Defensive Line

The War Eagles looked good running the football both out of their spread and when they lined up and played power football. Ryan Pope really gashed the Mustangs defense for some nice runs as did Cory Carrigan when the War Eagles lined up in the "I" and decided to run it. The offensive line really came off the football and Lipscomb's defensive front really didn't do all that much for the most part. Defensive line wise the War Eagles were even better. Anyone who knows DL knows that they love to RUN THE TRAP!!! Sycamore's front did a great job of playing assignment football and they really did a great job of getting pressure on the DL quarterback everytime the Mustangs decided to run the sprint out.

David Lipscomb Jeremy Holt & the Defensive Secondary

The Mustangs offense would have been a disaster today had it not been for Jeremy Holt running the football. Outside of him the running game was virtually held to nothing all evening long. Holt may be Elrod's successor at FB once the season begins and he may rush for 1,500+ yards alone just off of running the trap. The defensive secondary really played well. They wound up with either 3 or 4 interceptions when this one was over I know and that is a good thing seeing as how Sycamore's spread attack prepared them for the style of offenses that they'll see virtually every week in the region.

STRENGTHS

The War Eagles looked good running the football both out of their spread and when they lined up and played power football. Ryan Pope really gashed the Mustangs defense for some nice runs as did Cory Carrigan when the War Eagles lined up in the "I" and decided to run it. The offensive line really came off the football and Lipscomb's defensive front really didn't do all that much for the most part. Defensive line wise the War Eagles were even better. Anyone who knows DL knows that they love to RUN THE TRAP!!! Sycamore's front did a great job of playing assignment football and they really did a great job of getting pressure on the DL quarterback everytime the Mustangs decided to run the sprint out.

The Mustangs offense would have been a disaster today had it not been for Jeremy Holt running the football. Outside of him the running game was virtually held to nothing all evening long. Holt may be Elrod's successor at FB once the season begins and he may rush for 1,500+ yards alone just off of running the trap. The defensive secondary really played well. They wound up with either 3 or 4 interceptions when this one was over I know and that is a good thing seeing as how Sycamore's spread attack prepared them for the style of offenses that they'll see virtually every week in the region.

Big Country was right Varsity score was 1-1. If the scoreboard was turned on the final total score would be DL 15 Sycamore 6. Both teams still have alot to work on-both sides of the ball. Lipscomb called for many penalities and will need to work on that as well. Lipscomb still needs to get everyone healthy: No Moneypenny, No Davis, No Hunt, No Cannon, No Loftis...Rogers was back and made his presence known. Lipscomb has to get everyone back soon. Would say the guys who did play for those who couldn't go..did appear to play better this game than the last scrimmage game.

STRENGTHS

Sorry to hear that buddy. Dalton is a fine young man who was going to get his opportunity to play this year in the War Eagles secondary. He was also seeing some time at WR. He will truly be missed this season but the great news is that the young man can come back from this and have himself an outstanding junior season in 2008.

Sorry to hear about the injury to Dalton. Brother David got hurt in the first game last year as I recall. Best wishes from Harpeth Dalton.

i want to let everyone know that dalton lane will be having surgey tomorrow. he has a broken ankle and torn ligatments. he will be out for the seasons. if everything goes right he might be back for the playoffs. his team mates have been very supportive of him. that is why we aways have a great team here in pleasant view.