Letting kids come out late

fb247

When there were only 3 classifications I have seen 3A teams with 30 players do well. Numbers are important for practice and depth, but most teams now even if they have 60 players will play 20 to 25 players on Fridays. I have seen schools with 2000 students in their school play around 20 players on Fridays. Most schools regardless of size have a small core of quality players and players that go both ways.

I would let them play the season, but I would make them wait two weeks before they can step foot in a game. Make them aware that their tardiness will not be tolerated.I would let them play the season, but I would make them wait two weeks before they can step foot in a game. Make them aware that their tardiness will not be tolerated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would let them play the season, but I would make them wait two weeks before they can step foot in a game. Make them aware that their tardiness will not be tolerated.I would let them play the season, but I would make them wait two weeks before they can step foot in a game. Make them aware that their tardiness will not be tolerated.

You have already allowed their tardiness by letting them come out. Two weeks not playing is no punishment for missing all they missed. Play with the kids that have proven they want to do right, don't sell out just to maybe do better with late arrivals who have already let it be known that I'm not someone you can count on during difficult times.

I see both sides, but I've also got a 3 sport kid that's pulled by every coach during June and July. Basketball camps, summer workouts for football, baseball commitments. Shoot, I wish the dead period was from Memorial Day to Labor Day sometimes! He ended up making all of his baseball games and giving basketball June and football July. It's easy for the one sport kids to stay on his butt for not making practices to their sport, but he was in condition when he got to football and he hit the weight room when he could. Some of the basketball kids took July off and then came out for football when school started. Personally I don't have a problem with it if they get themselves in shape and do extra running. Playing time will be earned on the practice field. If the kids that start late show the commitment and the effort, I don't see a problem with setting some ground rules for them to become a part of the team. This would be a one time offer however. If they're habitually sitting out of summer workouts to rejoin the team in the fall, I'd take issue with that.

Let em play, like some have already mentioned if these kids haven`t been running all summer they`ll never be in good enough shape to make a difference until it is too late, by then most will quit. If these kids are too lazy to put the work in then they`re probably too lazy to be serious threats to get any PT this season. I would say that as a group you guys should talk to you coach about it, but as was just ruled in the courts the coach is always right

What an ignorant statement. I could care less about a kid losing playing time. What about being fair to kids who bust their tails to be on a team,so some lazy butt kid shows and does not have to do the off-season work,summer 2 a days,and can come out miss a game or two and then play. Play JV,hold dummies,do a little extra work, this in no way makes up for all the missed work much less the teaching of offense and defense. I would rather lose than see these type kids play. Winning is not everything. Kids with good attitude and character will win over selfish, lazy talented kids. I've seen it happen. Tells these type players to hit the road and try next year to do it right.

one of the few that agree w/ u...if they were not there bc of another sport then i can understand but if they wer not there bc of lack of commitment then kiss 'em good bye.

also if a player walks off during a practice shld they be allowed 2 return??? or given "special treatment" and pampered back onto the field??? if u walk then keep on walking.. if a coach brings em back then he is lettin the team no they can not "play" w/o this player or are not "good enough" w/o him... sure he might be a good player but don't beg players 2 return..

Why would a coach let a few players come out for football this late. It is causing some problems on our team. A few players are thinking about quitting, saying it is not fair. What should they do? We have 50 on our roster. We need some advise on what we should do. Parents are concerned also. I don't think all the coaches agree with the decision, either. These kids have been in our school last year and knew we have been working out and practicing. Yes, they are pretty good athletes. They even have played football and basketball in the past.

50 on your roster!!! WOW! You guys need to start cutting people!! (end sarcasm) If they are better then they should play. Oh I am sorry we should play the All American Attendance players. This is life: those who are better will get the spot so you can either whine about it or step up to the challenge or find some sport that is less competitive. Life is not fair. With that being said those who work hard and consistently prove themselves most of the time will end up ahead in the long run but not always. You cannot do anything about God given talent but you can train to offset it to an extent. My advice is to get out there and smash some skulls!

I agree…as a coach you try to field the best talent if possible. I also agree that the newcomers should have to do something extra or maybe sit out the first game as punishment.

I’m willing to bet that the players and parents that are upset about this are the ones that would be in jeopardy of loosing PT to the newcomers. I’m sure there are some that are glad to see the help coming. It comes down to whether you are thinking of the team or if you’re thinking of just yourself. As a parent it is easy to see why you don't see the bigger picture...but the coach and even the players should. This should be used by the parents as a motivation for your child to work harder and get better to hold on to their position. If it is used in that way it could be a big plus for the whole team. The parents that plant the seed that this somehow is unfair and support them quitting, are only setting their kids up for failure in real life.

I agree completely. The world wants everyone to be equal and never feel unjustness. Many parents complain at any little competition their child meets. I think it is hysterical when people think they have a sense of entitlement to a position on a team just because they have put in some time. But he worked so hard!!! Well so do washing machines.

I agree completely. The world wants everyone to be equal and never feel unjustness. Many parents complain at any little competition their child meets. I think it is hysterical when people think they have a sense of entitlement to a position on a team just because they have put in some time. But he worked so hard!!! Well so do washing machines.

Another ignorant poster.