Poor Powell

Shelia

Webb should never have beaten Powell. They played them the first game of the season each year and our big boys were not able to withstand the heat. Webb does have a good program but could notcompete in 4A either. Word is that Bradley will win with Young's seniors class this year but will be back to normal after that. Powell will be down for a couple of years. Maybe CAK would agree to play us in after next year?

You said "Bradley will win with Young's senior class this year"??

...you speak as if CAK recruits, CAK doesnt recruit

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said "Bradley will win with Young's senior class this year"??

...you speak as if CAK recruits, CAK doesnt recruit

I was saying that the seniors were coached by and played under Coach Young for 3 seasons. Didn't mention recriuting at all!

All private schools must recruit in order to get students. Are you saying CAK does not recruit students?

sorry for misunderstanding, thats just the way it sounded

Sorry if it sounded that way. Coach Young was such a great coach and a veteran.

Coach Bradley is good but will make mistakes that BY would not make.

Those seniors are the players they are because of Coach Young.

First of All, I wasn't saying that CAK, Loudon, Alcoa, Rockwood, Sweetwater would compete and win in 3-4A, I was simply saying that THIS year Powell would finish behind these teams if they were in 2-2A based solely on their performance against CAK in the jamboree. I dont know, maybe Powell had a down game or came in over confident, but from what i saw, this is what I think. I respect Powell and I know that in years past they have been a power house but this year it just doesn't seem like it.

how many players does powell have? two platoons? sounds like alot. my instincts tell me if fergi and abba were not playing in the jamboree, then CAK may not have gotten the full effect.

how many players does powell have? two platoons? sounds like alot. my instincts tell me if fergi and abba were not playing in the jamboree, then CAK may not have gotten the full effect.

Powell has around 100 players on the team, but everyone knows its quality and not quantity. Powell my have a lot of players, but they only have about 10 quality players and with the 2 platoon system these players can only help on one side of the ball. I have heard though that Powell might use their quality players on both sides of the ball. They might not start on both sides, but theyll see some quality playing time on both sides.

Powell has around 100 players on the team, but everyone knows its quality and not quantity. Powell my have a lot of players, but they only have about 10 quality players and with the 2 platoon system these players can only help on one side of the ball. I have heard though that Powell might use their quality players on both sides of the ball. They might not start on both sides, but theyll see some quality playing time on both sides.

That sounds like a better plan than a 2 platoon system at Powell.

If your boys weren't able to withstand the heat then that means Webb was the better team, that is not a worthy excuse at all. I think Webb has shown they could easily compete in 4A because of the wing-t that they run. And I'm curious why will they be "back to normal" when they have been winning normally for the past 5 years constant. They only problem is they can't get past Alcoa, but have played them just as well as any 4A team plays Maryville and Alcoa is just as good as Maryville. And if Powell will be down for a few years and you wouldn't play CAK maybe they're the ones who can't compete with 3-4A.....

Alcoa as good as Maryville?

Maryville has beaten Alcoa 12 out of the last 13 years. Maryville owns a 54-21 series lead. Since 1994 there have only been 3 real close ballgames between the 2 schoools. Alcoa won in 2000 14-7. In 1995 Maryville won 21-14. Last year Maryville won 17-14 but had 2 starters out and another key player. Not having Tank Baker hurt Maryville big time. He was suspended but probably wouldn't have played anyway. He was still nursing an injury.

I respect the heck out of Alcoa. I know several of their coaches and really like them. They have been the best 2A program in this decade. But! Since 1997 when Maryville has gone on their run they have beaten Alcoa on an average of 32-13. In some of those games Maryville put the subs in early.

I cannot believe someone actually compared 2-2A to 3-4A. Alcoa is the only team that could compete with 3-4A, and it would not be for very long. They could not take the banging every week. To compare CAK, Loudon, Sweetwater, and Rockwood to a team that year in and year out has played in the toughest league in Tn is completely Ignorant. That is sort of like what I hear from Scott Co. about playing in the toughest region in 3-3A. Several of their faithfuls think they could beat every team from every other region just because they are in a region with Catholic, Fulton, and AE.

Powell year in and year out has been a pretty good football team. They have played with Maryville, Central, Farragut, and other top area teams. I will say that Powell will be down this year, and it was a jamboree. If the two had played any other year Powell would have sent half of CAK's line to the infirmary. I don't even care for Powell that much, but none of those teams below Alcoa could play year in and year out with Powell or any other 3-4A team. NOT EVEN SOUTH-DOYLE, OR CLINTON.

Loudon was the 2nd best team in Alcoa's region. Lenoir City was the worst team in Maryville's region. Loudon beat Lenoir City 21-20.

Alcoa as good as Maryville?

Maryville has beaten Alcoa 12 out of the last 13 years. Maryville owns a 54-21 series lead. Since 1994 there have only been 3 real close ballgames between the 2 schoools. Alcoa won in 2000 14-7. In 1995 Maryville won 21-14. Last year Maryville won 17-14 but had 2 starters out and another key player. Not having Tank Baker hurt Maryville big time. He was suspended but probably wouldn't have played anyway. He was still nursing an injury.

I respect the heck out of Alcoa. I know several of their coaches and really like them. They have been the best 2A program in this decade. But! Since 1997 when Maryville has gone on their run they have beaten Alcoa on an average of 32-13. In some of those games Maryville put the subs in early.

When I wrote those words I almost put "ALMOST as good" and actually kind of meant to but I basically meant that they were the Maryville of that division, because besides Maryville and last year Fulton they usually dominate.