Gordonsville Player Injured

MO$$$$

From this week's Carthage Courier

DILLARD--"SEAGRAVES STILL PART OF FAMILY, TEAM"

"To this community, football is more than just a game. To these young men, it's more than a game.

We've taken a lot of scurtiny with practicing out here in this heat and that is ok. I guess the point I want to make is that what this game does, more importantly than anything else is it builds relationships.

It builds relationships between players and coaches. It builds relationships between a school and a community. And it builds relationships for those young men who are out there in those uniforms.

People that have never been a part of somethin like that, this probably doesn't make sense to them. They can't understand the kind of relationships that are built through this game and how it teaches you to handle adversity and how to handle prosperity.

It seems the last few years we have had more than our fair share of adversity. I don't know why we have had so much adversity. A lot of the the things that happen to us in life, we don't have any control over. What we do have control over is how we react to them and how we deal with them.

I can't sit here and explain why this has happened. I can't sit here aand explain why the Chad Hunter thing happened. But those things happen and we have to deal with them.

We want the Seagraves family, and Mark in particular, to know that even though maybe his day in a helmet are over -- he is still very much a part of our family and our community and he's very much still a part of this football team.

People don't realize through this game of football that these guys genuinely love each other. There is a genuine care, concern and respect for not just people on our team but on teams everywhere. They learnhow to care about each other through this game and how to sacrafice for each other and put what's best for the entire group ahead of what is best for them personally.

Those same qualities that they learn through this game are the same qualities that are going to make them a good husband, a good father and make them a good citizen. They learn so many qualities that make them better people.

Yes, we're out here when it's 100 degrees and we're teaching them to block and teaching them to tackle. But they are also learning a lot of things that are going to make them better young men.

We all need to learn how to care for each other. We all need to learn how to respect each other. These are lessons that everybody needs to learn and are being taught through this game. We're not out there when it is 100 degrees just so we can win a ballgame. They are learning a lot of valuable things while they are out there.

Sports teaches so many things and people who have never played, there is no way they can understand what I am talking about.

Today everything is about technology, but when it gets right down to it, society is people-oriented and you have got to be able to work with and deal with people or you are no going to be able to function. Sports teaches you to do all those things.

Even though this has happened to Mark, I want him and his family to know that he is still a part of what we are doing and he is still a part of this football team."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this week's Carthage Courier

DILLARD--"SEAGRAVES STILL PART OF FAMILY, TEAM"

"To this community, football is more than just a game. To these young men, it's more than a game.

We've taken a lot of scurtiny with practicing out here in this heat and that is ok. I guess the point I want to make is that what this game does, more importantly than anything else is it builds relationships.

It builds relationships between players and coaches. It builds relationships between a school and a community. And it builds relationships for those young men who are out there in those uniforms.

People that have never been a part of somethin like that, this probably doesn't make sense to them. They can't understand the kind of relationships that are built through this game and how it teaches you to handle adversity and how to handle prosperity.

It seems the last few years we have had more than our fair share of adversity. I don't know why we have had so much adversity. A lot of the the things that happen to us in life, we don't have any control over. What we do have control over is how we react to them and how we deal with them.

I can't sit here and explain why this has happened. I can't sit here aand explain why the Chad Hunter thing happened. But those things happen and we have to deal with them.

We want the Seagraves family, and Mark in particular, to know that even though maybe his day in a helmet are over -- he is still very much a part of our family and our community and he's very much still a part of this football team.

People don't realize through this game of football that these guys genuinely love each other. There is a genuine care, concern and respect for not just people on our team but on teams everywhere. They learnhow to care about each other through this game and how to sacrafice for each other and put what's best for the entire group ahead of what is best for them personally.

Those same qualities that they learn through this game are the same qualities that are going to make them a good husband, a good father and make them a good citizen. They learn so many qualities that make them better people.

Yes, we're out here when it's 100 degrees and we're teaching them to block and teaching them to tackle. But they are also learning a lot of things that are going to make them better young men.

We all need to learn how to care for each other. We all need to learn how to respect each other. These are lessons that everybody needs to learn and are being taught through this game. We're not out there when it is 100 degrees just so we can win a ballgame. They are learning a lot of valuable things while they are out there.

Sports teaches so many things and people who have never played, there is no way they can understand what I am talking about.

Today everything is about technology, but when it gets right down to it, society is people-oriented and you have got to be able to work with and deal with people or you are no going to be able to function. Sports teaches you to do all those things.

Even though this has happened to Mark, I want him and his family to know that he is still a part of what we are doing and he is still a part of this football team."

Thanks for posting. Coach sounds like quite a guy.

I hope everything goes well with both these kids. I found myself crying over a couple of injured players of which everyone will recover quickly( only one surgery needed), and then I hear about this. My prayers go out to the families, the coaches, and players. You all have a great bunch of kids and coaches up there, just stick together. Best wishes from Mutt and Crew.

I want to bump this thread and give my thanks the caring folks from Cheatham county for their donations to the Seagraves family. It will be much needed. Its was also very touching to see that others outside our county cares enough about their fellow man to be so caring as to donate to the Seagraves family fund drive to help with the cost of this very expensive tragedy.

Again I was humbled by such an act of kindness. Even though Mark and April was not able to attend the game Friday night. I am sure yall have made it one they will never forget. May God bless each and every one of you.

Will there be anything special planned for this coming Friday night? Some kind of ALL of Smith County step up and support these kids? It's times like these that make people feel powerless...and I think some kind of community showing would be greatly appreciated...some way for all of us to help...

Queen bee, I think they will have offering jugs. They have also been selling #66 shirts and hats. But that's not going to be approprate for the Owls. As it says tigers on the shirt also. They also passed the jugs around the crowd at half time Friday night. Maybe Cheatham had the right idea. They brought a basket and donations to GV when they came and presented it to the fundraising group.. It was later announced and you could see the grateful looks on everyone's faces and a standing ovation. I feel charity is Gods will and he will lead your heart in the right direction. Everyone will do it in their own way if they are touched to do so. It will come to everyone. There will be leaders drawn to the drive to help others have a way to offer their donations. I found mine at the field gate Friday night. Anything anyone can help this family with will be greatly appreciated, and is definitely needed. Be patient Queen Bee, God will lead you. The seed has been sown. You answered the post.

I thank God this was not my children. And I feel grief it was the Seagraves children. Two best reasons I know to donate. Use what ever reason that comes to your heart. But please donate.