Bridges Classic

wtnoff

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give us a recap of the Melrose/CBHS game? From one stat I saw CB didn't do much at all offensively. I know their qb was hurt but would have expected them to do better than 30 something yards if that number is correct.

I'd like to know as well BigOwl.

From what I heard CBHS did good to cross the 50 let alone get a first down. Coach Alexander at melrose might be the best coach they have had there and he was there to late last year to get his system in but he has it this year. You must be worth something as a coach if you get mentioned in a hall of fame speech when Michael Irvin was put in the hall of fame crediting all of his succes to caoch alexander.

Also in Joe lee dunn debut they were murdered. They looked the worse they ever have. they were in horrible shape and lost 30-0

The first half of the CBHS- Melrose game was very good. There were two big plays in the first half, on Watsons first run he went for about 20 yards to the Melrose 25, but fumbled. On their next drive CBHS was in Melrose territory and a snap over the QBs head led to a 4th and 39 and completely changed field position. CBHS has no QB right now that can throw the football or run for that matter. Watsons only long run down to the Melrose 3 was called back for holding. I dont think CBHS crossed the 50 after that play. The Melrose defense gave Watson little room to run and quite frankly played better than the CBHS OL. I dont want to bash the CBHS OL because everyone in the stadium knew what was coming. Antonio Harper the MLB for Melrose is a beast. The CBHS defense played well, but when you turn the ball over twice inside your own 30 and your offense can only get two first downs the entire game, there is not much you can do. The CBHS defense was worn down after playing nearly the entire game. The Melrose QB has a strong arm and has some scrambling abilities. He got away from a few CBHS defenders that led to the long TD pass. I expect Melrose to have a very good season and once CBHS can get their QB and other players back, I expect them to have a good season as well.

The first half of the CBHS- Melrose game was very good. There were two big plays in the first half, on Watsons first run he went for about 20 yards to the Melrose 25, but fumbled. On their next drive CBHS was in Melrose territory and a snap over the QBs head led to a 4th and 39 and completely changed field position. CBHS has no QB right now that can throw the football or run for that matter. Watsons only long run down to the Melrose 3 was called back for holding. I dont think CBHS crossed the 50 after that play. The Melrose defense gave Watson little room to run and quite frankly played better than the CBHS OL. I dont want to bash the CBHS OL because everyone in the stadium knew what was coming. Antonio Harper the MLB for Melrose is a beast. The CBHS defense played well, but when you turn the ball over twice inside your own 30 and your offense can only get two first downs the entire game, there is not much you can do. The CBHS defense was worn down after playing nearly the entire game. The Melrose QB has a strong arm and has some scrambling abilities. He got away from a few CBHS defenders that led to the long TD pass. I expect Melrose to have a very good season and once CBHS can get their QB and other players back, I expect them to have a good season as well.

Thanks wavelax1:

I know it's tough to start the season like this. Attrition due to injuries isn't fun. Hang in there Purplewave fans.

Now if I can just find out what happened in the WHS/Mitchell game!

Too many turnovers on CBHS's part, particularly the running back Watson. Melrose also did not have too many costly mistakes, though they had a couple of turnovers also. Being that CBHS was shorthanded they could not afford to make too many mistakes. Melrose appears to be bigger and better up front this year as compared to last year.

From what I heard CBHS did good to cross the 50 let alone get a first down. Coach Alexander at melrose might be the best coach they have had there and he was there to late last year to get his system in but he has it this year. You must be worth something as a coach if you get mentioned in a hall of fame speech when Michael Irvin was put in the hall of fame crediting all of his succes to caoch alexander.

Also in Joe lee dunn debut they were murdered. They looked the worse they ever have. they were in horrible shape and lost 30-0

I was surprised by Ridgeway's lopsided loss. I heard from a Ridgeway teacher that the principle shut down their practices due to hot weather, and they only managed to have 1 practice during the week before the game.

There is so much irony around the CBHS football program. It always seems that the side of the ball that is hyped the most ends up being the skeptic as the season begins (i.e., 06' Defense has to hold the team until young offense develops....just the opposite. '07 no matter how young the offense will be the best ever seen with all the weapons...). Somebody please tell Locastro to hype up special teams haha. Even with all that said, dont get to down on the young guys now. I see them getting victory number one next weekend. Its hard to win a game with very inexperienced QBs. I didnt want to believe it but its true. Watch the film and you'll notice they've been taught how to play but they don't know how to play the position. They had it set in their mind to throw it eric before the play even started. But give the Brother's a chance they'll be a decent team.

As far as defense they had a nice showing to have so much doubt around them. I mean Melrose didn't exactly dominate offensively. They didn't sustain 50, 60, 70, 80 yard drives. They got those TDs after fumbles in the red zone. The D held up darn well. Barnes and O'Neil have those guys on the right track.

And was it just me but Melrose is a LOT bigger on both sides of the ball

heres how i saw it: (i left with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.)

melrose- i thought the offense would have a good showing and look rather impressive, especially considering Christian Brothers senior DL Ben Duffel wasnt playing. they werent. their offensive line play was not good at all. the two kids CBHS had playing DT are good football players, but by no means should the o-line have allowed as much penetration up the gut by the Wave defense as they did. i would have loved to have seen Duffel play in this game. to be honest, i dont think melrose could have gotten a snap off. their guards and center arent quick enough to block him. BUT the games over and well never know. and thats about all i have to say as far as their offense goes because i was unimpressed given the hype that was surrounding that side of the ball for the golden wildcats. as usual, the melrose defense is fast and closes holes quickly. if you dont get a hat on harper, he will make the play, as he did saturday night. cant really say anything about the secondary....there was no threat of the Brothers throwing the ball.

Christian Brothers- defense overachieved i thought. i figured the melrose offense would exploit the fact that the Brothers' most experienced defensive player wasnt dressed out. the young guys up front and the linebackers played well for the most part. the front 6/7 for the Wave did a good job of holding their own. i thought that if they were less physical, it could ugly for the Wave.

the offense...well they got on the field a couple times, but then quickly jogged back off to the sideline after having numerous three-and-outs and more than enough fumbles. oh well. thats about all there is to say since there wasnt a viable passing threat. melrose knew the Brothers were going to run and were prepared for that, to say the least.

i left about half-way through the 4th because i couldnt take the pain of watching the offense screw up and the defense playing their nuts off without getting any help. the best thing to come from this game was that no one was lost for the season/next game....to the best of my knowledge.

the Brothers get ridgeway next. and, believe it or not, i thought the roadrunners probably looked worse than CBHS. the Wave will get Duffel back in the mix and go from there....suppose well see.

Does anyone know the story about two sophomores on CBHS' roster that are listed at 6'5 350 and 6'5 370? If they have any talent with that size they could be dynamite. They never went into the game on saturday except maybe once.

yeah. theyre SOPHOMORES that are TOO HEAVY....i have yet to see anyone on the face of this earth that is very mobile at that size while only being 15 or 16.

they cant move like they need to be able to and thats pretty much why they dont play. if both of them were to lose a good bit of weight, then they could definitely be a force cause theyre both massive.

neither played saturday night in the Bridges Kickoff Classic.

Does anyone know the story about two sophomores on CBHS' roster that are listed at 6'5 350 and 6'5 370? If they have any talent with that size they could be dynamite. They never went into the game on saturday except maybe once.

That is Damorris Hill and Cade Patton. They both have potential. Don't look to see them in major situations but they will be ushering Watson in the 2008 season. Steve Williford will have those guys turning heads.