Maryville @ Alcoa

the1andonly13

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think everyone should back off of sophmore tyler robinson's back a little bit. Yes he did drop 1 pass that was very catchable, but the other ones were underthrown. He layed his body out just to get his hands on the ball and help his quarterback out.Its true he is not an Aaron Douglas yet, but I think the kid has a great future ahead of him and if he stays motivated and humble which he is very humble (i talked to him after the game and he was very upset with himself for missing the balls thrown in the grass) he will be playing D1 and hopefully running through "The T." Good luck to both squads and bring back the gold balls!

Reading this thread I think it has gotten off track. The thread was about one of the best HS Football Community events in the country. There is no question who the normal winner of the game should be about every year. This year what I saw in Alcoa was less of the trash talking, head shaking thug like behavior than in previous years. Maybe it is coaching, maybe that kind of stupidly has run its course, and maybe the kids have learned that kind of behavior does not represent their school well, community, family and not that of a true champion, which is what Alcoa is in HS Football. I don't know what it is, but I have a new found respect for the Alcoa football program. Alcoa most years can't compete with Maryville just like Appalachian State has no business beating the Big Blue at the Big House. Beating Maryville is not impossible, but it has become a task. But it happens when kids are ready to play and they get a break or too. Almost every kid I saw on the field played hard. I saw a few take a play off, but not many. Were there kids who did not live up to the hype, yes. But everyone knows who they were and they know who they are, if they are honest with themselves. But they are just kids really. Who play the game because they like it.

I don't know who will go D1. But I can assure you the vast majority that sign a letter of intent at places like UT, KY, Bama and many other programs never make it for a mired of reasons. Some do well and come home anyway for various reasons. The vast majority won't even contribute at the D1 level if they even make the cut. At D1, it is a job and full time one. If some of the kids we watched Friday night make it many factors come in to play.

This board is about HS football not D1 kids or future NFL hall of fame??™s! Most of the kids, the vast majority on the field will graduate and go on to be successful at other things. And really many of them have the biggest hearts, the most class, never get noticed or press and are grounded in humility. The blue collar kid is the one I cheer for, regardless of team.

Most of you who read my posts think I am a harsh guy or am not qualified to talk about football because "HE ain't from here", and other silly comments like that. Well if you look closer I only get negative when in my opinion, I see something I or others don't like. I don't mean anything personally and it is just one guys opinion.

The best thing I saw is the paper Saturday was WB's Coach Meadows statement concerning his win. "Meadows laughed that he's more than ready for his Govs to join the Blount County elite".

"I wouldn't mind that at all,'' he said.???We've played second fiddle for a long time. I'm ready to be invited to the Blount County Invitational in Murfreesboro."

?© 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Uneducated huh? Well I'm sorry but I am speaking the truth here. If Aaron Douglas is 6'7 and that athletic already, then he will be an OT. Its hard to find an OT that big and that athletic, and seeing how UT's line has struggled the past few years, Aaron will be a OT. AND THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WORLD WRONG WITH THAT!!! I never said Douglas would never play at UT, I said he wouldnt play TE. If I was looking to go to the NFL, and he probably is, I would want to go as an athletic OT instead of a TE. Good OT's are taking in the Top 10 all the time in the draft, wheres TE is not so much a top 10 pick. Open up your mind a little bit and think about the future instead of just high school football, because high school sports are easily dominated, but it takes special athletes to excel in college, and I think Aaron will be one of those kids, just not at TE.

Uneducated huh? Well I'm sorry but I am speaking the truth here. If Aaron Douglas is 6'7 and that athletic already, then he will be an OT. Its hard to find an OT that big and that athletic, and seeing how UT's line has struggled the past few years, Aaron will be a OT. AND THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WORLD WRONG WITH THAT!!! I never said Douglas would never play at UT, I said he wouldnt play TE. If I was looking to go to the NFL, and he probably is, I would want to go as an athletic OT instead of a TE. Good OT's are taking in the Top 10 all the time in the draft, wheres TE is not so much a top 10 pick. Open up your mind a little bit and think about the future instead of just high school football, because high school sports are easily dominated, but it takes special athletes to excel in college, and I think Aaron will be one of those kids, just not at TE.

I believe you believe what you say but that is not the same as speaking the truth unless you have some control over where he plays.your points are well taken but are flawed in that many TE's fall into this category and stay TE's.It is usually the ones who are a little less athletic to be a TE that become OT's. The ones who can move but cannot catch so well.The size speed and hands of Douglas almost guarantee TE unless he wants to move to OT.

Hey I agree nothing wrong with being an OT at D1 or in the NFL.

Ok here comes the can of worms, so don't kill me.

Say an Alcoa grad transfers to UT to play TE next year. A very good TE who has proven himself at place like say, just for conservation FSU. Then in the summer of 08, here comes a highly touted TE who might be in the top 10 in the nation overall. A kid who is 3-5 inches taller and maybe 35 pounds heavier and maybe just about as fast and was coached and played for a HS program that is in the top 25 nationwide. Maybe the kid never played in a game where he was on the losing side! Then by some magic the freshman ends up higher on the UT depth chart than the proven, smaller, experienced TE. Man ya gotta love this game! Now shoot!

Hey I agree nothing wrong with being an OT at D1 or in the NFL.

Ok here comes the can of worms, so don't kill me.

Say an Alcoa grad transfers to UT to play TE next year. A very good TE who has proven himself at place like say, just for conservation FSU. Then in the summer of 08, here comes a highly touted TE who might be in the top 10 in the nation overall. A kid who is 3-5 inches taller and maybe 35 pounds heavier and maybe just about as fast and was coached and played for a HS program that is in the top 25 nationwide. Maybe the kid never played in a game where he was on the losing side! Then by some magic the freshman ends up higher on the UT depth chart than the proven, smaller, experienced TE. Man ya gotta love this game! Now shoot!

As a Vol fan, I just gotta say that'd be a GREAT problem to have. We've already seen what BW can contribute at the college level, so I sure wouldn't mind seeing him and Douglas at opposite ends of the line.

That'd give us about 2 more NFL receiver prospects than I saw wearing orange Saturday night.

As a Vol fan, I just gotta say that'd be a GREAT problem to have. We've already seen what BW can contribute at the college level, so I sure wouldn't mind seeing him and Douglas at opposite ends of the line.

That'd give us about 2 more NFL receiver prospects than I saw wearing orange Saturday night.

Yea, it would be a good problem to have, but if I had a son who was a top TE, I might send him to a school that uses a TE. UT did use a TE quite a bit in the Cal game, but we still lost.

I am glad some local kids are finally getting the opportunity to go to Ut as FB players. In my opinion there are many more who don't and many have more heart than most up there here of late. I would look for BW to move to the D side of the ball because he is an undersized TE by D1 standards. He did prove however he plays bigger than he is IMO and could play for anybody. The only team that ever shut him down was Maryville!

Yea, it would be a good problem to have, but if I had a son who was a top TE, I might send him to a school that uses a TE. UT did use a TE quite a bit in the Cal game, but we still lost.

I am glad some local kids are finally getting the opportunity to go to Ut as FB players. In my opinion there are many more who don't and many have more heart than most up there here of late. I would look for BW to move to the D side of the ball because he is an undersized TE by D1 standards. He did prove however he plays bigger than he is IMO and could play for anybody. The only team that ever shut him down was Maryville!

Agree about the TE at UT thing. We're going to be loaded at that position next year, so I hope that coach Cut can figure out what to do with it.

Do you think BW could possibly play DE for the Vols? It's clear that we need some help on that side of the ball...

I said to myself four years ago I would never post on this site but after reading some of the uneducated crap on here about Aaron Douglas I had to repsond.

Alcoa06 when and where did you play high school or college football? You do not have a clue. Did he run over your kid to much?

Aaron Douglas is 6'7" 250 and runs a 4.7 now. All TE's in college do not run 4.5's. DB's run 4.5 to 4.4's. You do have exceptions for all positions. You watch to much NFL Network and dream about it. You are talking two one hundreths of a second. He will play TE in college and if you were at the game the other night and knew anything about football you saw maybe one of the greatest catches you will ever see and a long run with a DB in pursuit who he outweighed probably seventy pounds and legs cramping. Oh yea, the long run I forgot that he used his 35" plus verticle to grab and take the ball from that as you think 4.0 forty DB. You obviously could not hold his jock and if you want to learn a little bit about football come over and we will teach you how to evaluate talent.

Your stupid comments are like me saying Randall Cobb cannot play Divison 1 Football because he is not quick enough. Oh yea, I would not say that because I know what the heck I am doing and looking at when it comes to football. I also know and respect all of these area kids and want them to succeed at every school in this county.

This what makes america so great, is that you have every right to your opinion but when it is uneducated in my opinion, expect a response back.

These kids read these comments by some of you and you ought to give that some thought when you wannabe's start de-grading these kids.

Great post...we should all remember that these are 16,17,18 year old kids that we are discussing, some even younger.

Reading this thread I think it has gotten off track. The thread was about one of the best HS Football Community events in the country. There is no question who the normal winner of the game should be about every year. This year what I saw in Alcoa was less of the trash talking, head shaking thug like behavior than in previous years. Maybe it is coaching, maybe that kind of stupidly has run its course, and maybe the kids have learned that kind of behavior does not represent their school well, community, family and not that of a true champion, which is what Alcoa is in HS Football. I don't know what it is, but I have a new found respect for the Alcoa football program. Alcoa most years can't compete with Maryville just like Appalachian State has no business beating the Big Blue at the Big House. Beating Maryville is not impossible, but it has become a task. But it happens when kids are ready to play and they get a break or too. Almost every kid I saw on the field played hard. I saw a few take a play off, but not many. Were there kids who did not live up to the hype, yes. But everyone knows who they were and they know who they are, if they are honest with themselves. But they are just kids really. Who play the game because they like it.

I don't know who will go D1. But I can assure you the vast majority that sign a letter of intent at places like UT, KY, Bama and many other programs never make it for a mired of reasons. Some do well and come home anyway for various reasons. The vast majority won't even contribute at the D1 level if they even make the cut. At D1, it is a job and full time one. If some of the kids we watched Friday night make it many factors come in to play.

This board is about HS football not D1 kids or future NFL hall of fame??™s! Most of the kids, the vast majority on the field will graduate and go on to be successful at other things. And really many of them have the biggest hearts, the most class, never get noticed or press and are grounded in humility. The blue collar kid is the one I cheer for, regardless of team.

Most of you who read my posts think I am a harsh guy or am not qualified to talk about football because "HE ain't from here", and other silly comments like that. Well if you look closer I only get negative when in my opinion, I see something I or others don't like. I don't mean anything personally and it is just one guys opinion.

The best thing I saw is the paper Saturday was WB's Coach Meadows statement concerning his win. "Meadows laughed that he's more than ready for his Govs to join the Blount County elite".

"I wouldn't mind that at all,'' he said.???We've played second fiddle for a long time. I'm ready to be invited to the Blount County Invitational in Murfreesboro."

?© 2007, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

This is one fine post sir...I think alot of us are finding some "new found respect" for many things-teams, people and community-and I think that's the most important thing-It's all one great community. Let's invite WB to the dance, just think 3 gold balls coming back to the BC. BTW the word is myriad

Like I said in an earlier post-the game was closer than the score, but that does not diminish the fact that Maryville had a better team on the field especially the QB- TE- WR combos. They wore the Tornadoes down then did what MHS does best...win. Anyway as a Blount countian and UT Vol fan here among people who only know and root for the Washington Football Team (with the exception of a few Eagles, Cowboys and Giants fans) most people think I'm a little off base because I'm glued to the computer on Friday nights and the boob tube on Saturday. Anyway my point is that I love the fact that more area kids are going to UT and I long for the day when we will all be cheering for the same kids on Saturday (and Sundays soon) as we did on Friday regardless of the High School.