Elizabethton at Science Hill

topvol98

How does this game play out?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How does this game play out?

Hey comp, In your opinion, did you see any possible D-1 prospects on S-Hill's team?

Not Comp, but thought I'd respond anyway as an outsider to both teams. Honest answer to your question is, No. There's some players that have the size and ability to go on to play college ball, but I saw noone who looked near D1. just an honest answer. BUT, who knows, one of the boys may develop more and catch some scout or coaches eye. D1 is such a lofty goal. I think getting the opportunity to play college ball and have your education paid for, at any level, would be a great honor. So, don't discount levels below D1. If I had a son playing I would encourage him to get those grades where they need to be and go the route of DB's big LB who graduated last year and went to Yale!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Comp, but thought I'd respond anyway as an outsider to both teams. Honest answer to your question is, No. There's some players that have the size and ability to go on to play college ball, but I saw noone who looked near D1. just an honest answer. BUT, who knows, one of the boys may develop more and catch some scout or coaches eye. D1 is such a lofty goal. I think getting the opportunity to play college ball and have your education paid for, at any level, would be a great honor. So, don't discount levels below D1. If I had a son playing I would encourage him to get those grades where they need to be and go the route of DB's big LB who graduated last year and went to Yale!

Pudding...your time zone is Middle Tennessee. You have seemed to follow Fletcher and knew of his presence at or before his Frosh year according to past posts. Could you allude to when you first saw him run. And did following Curt allow you to accidently see him. I also see you are very familiar with the Tribe personel. Just curious.

Hey comp, In your opinion, did you see any possible D-1 prospects on S-Hill's team?

There is a fine line between the D and the 1. The answer is no. But only because I think you (I'm assuming from past posts you are a 'Topper fan) have a few people out of position. I'm in agreement with Pudding that Trent should be a FB running interference for Solomon. I'm familiar with Joslin coming up through the ranks and he is an athlete. My choice for QB. Maybe the DL should be the OL and the OL the DL. I'm assuming they are totally different people based on their relative performance. And the DB's? In my opinion, the hardest position to coach on the team. So no comment there.

Betsy 13 Science Hill 10

SH cannot get into shape in one week. Betsy will struggle but will overcome. You heard it hear first. ( If I am wrong I will dig and a hole and bury my head in the sand ).

Get a shovel or better yet a backhoe cause SHHS ain't Happy Valley. these two teams played VERY different levels of competition week 0

I don't believe that Betsy will be able to handle the defensive pressure that the Toppers bring. After watching the film on the south game, Phillips was even more impressive. His line slowed down the SHHS rush at best the first three quarters. After the third quarter, when the defense had been on the field for around 10 of the 12 minutes, south's line began to give him adequate protection and their running game started to be effective. I just don't see Betsy's offense being able to keep the defense on the field that long and their qb being able to do the things that Phillips did. It should be interesting to see.

I don't believe that Betsy will be able to handle the defensive pressure that the Toppers bring. After watching the film on the south game, Phillips was even more impressive. His line slowed down the SHHS rush at best the first three quarters. After the third quarter, when the defense had been on the field for around 10 of the 12 minutes, south's line began to give him adequate protection and their running game started to be effective. I just don't see Betsy's offense being able to keep the defense on the field that long and their qb being able to do the things that Phillips did. It should be interesting to see.

[/quote

I see very few offenses in NET succeeding against the 'Topper Defense. After watching the film there was never an open lane all the way to the tackles. Neither DB nor THS has a RB to penetrate this wall. MoEast got nothing up the middle on SHHS. It will be interesting to see what Christian McFall can do against probably the best defense he will see all year.

Elizabethton doesn't score on S-Hill. S-Hill's defense will dominate.

Well . . . I Hope Science Hill goose eggs Betsy, but we will see.

I read in today's paper that Coach Smith is going to the "nuts and bolts" of the offense. "We want to enhance the execution and have our kids not think, but just play."

I'm anxious to see our offense to move the ball down the field and score. I personally don't care if it is an exciting offense to watch or not. I just want to see us move the ball and win games.

Without a doubt, Coach Smith is going to need some time with the Science Hill "program" as a whole to really develop his style of play. Unfortunately my son is a senior and doesn't have the time, but will be moving on. But, this years junior, sophmore and freshman classes are really talented. And the 8th grade team has 60 kids on it.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Science Hill wins this one in the home opener

South actually ran about 6 plays from 2 sets. We dads were like, "Open up the playbook please!" But that is not Stacy's style. He's kind of stubborn like that. When Fletcher (#15 aka The Spin Dr.) (who likes to run up the gut off Beadle and was dared to put the spin on Trent) realized he could bounce it outside and that it was wide open it was late in the game. Elizabethton will see this on film. They don't have a RB of the calibre needed to deal with SHHS's superior LB'ing corp and will go nowhere in the middle. They should put their money on the flats where the 'Toppers are paper thin. Fuqua will embarass Kinley (the deeper the route the more the embarassment) however the only way 'Betsy will get the pass off to him is to roll out on play action. JC will watch film and realize the mistake they made with South in regard to blitzing. E'town will run the spread and this will be their death knell. SHHS doesn't have much but they do have .75's of a defense. I say .75's because their DB's are lame. However, the 'Toppers will win this one and big because Trent and Co. are for real. After the embarassment they got at Death Valley Smith will get over himself and throw the books in the garbage. It was basics that killed them 8-23-'07 and I would say the poster boys will be doing some conditioning. Even Trent was frazzled. I expect Solomon to get back to his puported expectations. 'Betsy will not contain him. I'm sorry, South DOES have a defense for those of you doubting. SHHS 35/EHS 7. Rebel Nation

[/quote

First I want to congratulate South on the win. Curt is all that is advertised. As for the HIll

Offense - drop balls, timing, Sharp will improve as the year goes on. You could tell that curt and #11 had been working on the timing of their routes. Sharp is holding the ball a little to long for the routes the recievers are running. Coach Smith said a 48/52 (run/pass) split on the play calling, but it was more like a 30/70 or less. Having trent(#44) at FB in front of solomon(#40) is the key to all the passing coach wants to do. You run to set the pass up not pass to set the run up.

Defense - Run defense is awsome in the 3-5-3, but it leaves the corners on a island. Mr. Wisconson took full advantage of that. The corners were playing to far off the ball with a QB like Curt. #11 had a 5 yd buffer after he caught the ball EVERY TIME. We had better get aggresive on the island because their is a cyclone coming to town.

Comp the Hill is not HV, but E-town does have D. Carr, and a scat back in C Forbes. WR Justin on side and loving on the other and enter in My Cousin "Julian Smith" as a athletic change up and we will have our hands full.

science hill - 24 E-town 20

There is a fine line between the D and the 1. The answer is no. But only because I think you (I'm assuming from past posts you are a 'Topper fan) have a few people out of position. I'm in agreement with Pudding that Trent should be a FB running interference for Solomon. I'm familiar with Joslin coming up through the ranks and he is an athlete. My choice for QB. Maybe the DL should be the OL and the OL the DL. I'm assuming they are totally different people based on their relative performance. And the DB's? In my opinion, the hardest position to coach on the team. So no comment there.

Joslin made a spectacular catch to get the toppers started but wat else do you know about him? The recievers have to adjust to everything that is thrown to them. Also are you familiar with jeff green who had an outstanding game but overshadowed by trent. Also shouldn't a qb that can roll left and right such as thomas hill be starting since he can launch it 50 yards rolling out?

One thing the Hill needs to think about is SHAWN WITTEN. He Killed SH as a player every year. From his freshman year blocking kicks inter.... passes to making great catches and most of all scoring touchdowns. He is the most competative person I have every played with from high school to college and he loves playing the hill. His senior year he scored on a catch, a run, a pass, punt return, 2-INTs.

If he can get the passion of the way he played into his players this week look out. in this game put away play makers becuase the play makers in this game will by the guys that play with passion for this great game. Shawn is a "Hill Killer" and if he can get that in his players Etown will win.

SHHS- 21

Etown- 24

This is a big rivalry game, and anything could happen. I think Betsy can match up with some athletes, but I am unsure if their line can hold up. The Cyclones will see a much better defense than last week. If Betsy is to have a chance their offesive line play and defesive line play must be stellar. If the Toppers ever turn their running back loose it may be over quick. Good Luck to both

Toppers 28 Cyclones 13

Joslin made a spectacular catch to get the toppers started but wat else do you know about him? The recievers have to adjust to everything that is thrown to them. Also are you familiar with jeff green who had an outstanding game but overshadowed by trent. Also shouldn't a qb that can roll left and right such as thomas hill be starting since he can launch it 50 yards rolling out?

#51 Jeff Green played great! Also #25 Caleb Mancuso, #58 Will Renjtel, #50 Cory Hamilton and #86 Zach Jordan all had a good game on defense.