Greeneville at Mercer County KY

KEV-O

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kev what do you know about this mercer team ... all ive heard is that they were the state champs up there last year

I know they bumped up to 5A this year. They lost 22 off last years team but there O line has been playing together for years now so they should be raw. they have a young QB. I dont think they are the team they were last year an i think GV has a really good chance on showing them how we play TN football. Im not going to guess a score cuz i have not seen them play but from what i read off there site i think it will be a good ball game. The devils have a 4 1/2 hr trip up there so that should be good for them stinks for us but hey thats football.

It looks like Mercer County was pretty strong last year, outscoring opponents by an average score of 51-9 en route to its first state title in football. Their toughest regular season game was a 27-14 victory over Boyle County, a program which won five titles in a row from 1999-2003.

Here's how Mercer County has performed this decade, going 60-23 since 2000: link.

It could be a tough game for Greeneville, but Tennessee usually performs well versus Kentucky, having gone 17-9 versus Kentucky teams last year (actually 14-12, since three of those TN wins were by forfeit) and so far 2-1 this year. Still, it looks like a tough matchup.

Go get 'em, Greeneville.

About time we left the Jeff board an started this game board. I think the devils have more then a fighting chance in this one, they lost alot of players from last year. lets hear it

No way to predict a score, but i see it this way. Mercer Cnty is coming off a state championship season and despite losing 22 players, they cant possibly be too bad a team. I say that because you dont win a state championship with your starters going every minute of every game all season long and besides they didnt lose 22 starters. I'm certain there's a group left that have plenty of playing time under their belt and a certain air of confidence from being a state champion. Greeneville will have their hands full, however, IMO, they will be in this game all the way and I predict a W for the Devils. I'm going to predict a W everytime they take the field this year. Will I be 100% correct? Probably not, but that's my right to my opinion and I'm willing to bet I'll end up way north of 50%. Since I will be out of town the rest of the week, I doubt I will post anymore on the subject, at least this week. I just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in so Canefan can start disagreeing and arguing with me. Hope its a great game and above all, I hope its injury free.

No way to predict a score, but i see it this way. Mercer Cnty is coming off a state championship season and despite losing 22 players, they cant possibly be too bad a team. I say that because you dont win a state championship with your starters going every minute of every game all season long and besides they didnt lose 22 starters. I'm certain there's a group left that have plenty of playing time under their belt and a certain air of confidence from being a state champion. Greeneville will have their hands full, however, IMO, they will be in this game all the way and I predict a W for the Devils. I'm going to predict a W everytime they take the field this year. Will I be 100% correct? Probably not, but that's my right to my opinion and I'm willing to bet I'll end up way north of 50%. Since I will be out of town the rest of the week, I doubt I will post anymore on the subject, at least this week. I just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in so Canefan can start disagreeing and arguing with me. Hope its a great game and above all, I hope its injury free.

Mercer Titans starting 'a new year'

By LARRY VAUGHT

larry@amnews.com

HARRODSBURG - If the new six-class system had been in place last year, Mercer County coach Marty Jaggers would not have cared where the Titans played.

"We could have played with anybody last year. But we lost 22 seniors off that team. This is a new year and a new team," said Jaggers.

The Titans are coming off a 15-0 season and Class AA state title. They start this season on Saturday in the Bob Allen Pigskin Classic at Admiral Stadium in Danville against Russell County, a team that started 4-0 last year and then lost six straight games.

Mercer is moving to Class AAAAA this season and this will be the start of the rebuilding process. However, that should not be any more difficult than last year when the Titans had to negotiate the merger of the Mercer and Harrodsburg school systems.

"Last year was a little awkward at times, but there were also good times," said Mercer all-state lineman Devan Patton. "A lot of people thought last year was just luck. We lost some good players, but we have a lot of other good players just waiting to step up."

Two players Jaggers thought would be ready to fill the void in his backfield - junior Tyler Mays and sophomore Russell Mays - won't this year. Tyler Mays transferred to Madison Central while Russell Mays broke his ankle in practice.

However, senior Nathan Griffith, who rushed for almost 1,000 yards in 2005 before playing mainly fullback last year, returns to solidify the backfield. He's still not 100 percent because of a broken leg suffered in the offseason.

"You can build around him when he's healthy," Jaggers said. "He has shown what he can do."

Junior Matthew McCloud, the brother of Mercer's all-time leading rusher, Andrew McCloud, could get significant playing time in the backfield. Jordan Yeast and J.D. Gilliam are other backs who have impressed Jaggers.

Junior Trevor Short will be new quarterback

"We have some backs who just need experience. They will get better," Jaggers said.

The new quarterback will be junior Trevor Short, a capable runner and passer.

"He's talented. He has to get better, but he can make plays," Jaggers said.

His biggest plus could be a veteran offensive line that includes Patton and William Harris, both seniors, and juniors Ellis Delahousay, Jay Linton and Hunter Robinson, who started as sophomores.

Russell coach Bill Sharp knows his team could be overmatched even though he graduated only six players off last year's team. "We know how good Mercer County is," Sharp said.

"They lost some great players, but they have a lot of great players back."

Junior Byron Ellis will start at quarterback. His older brother also played quarterback at Russell and signed with Louisville before finishing his career at Eastern Kentucky.

The Lakers will count on seniors David Wooldridge and Tim Coffey to run the ball.

"We have 13 seniors that are the nucleus of our team," Sharp said. "We know what kind of challenge we face. But we wanted to be part of this bowl game and play good teams like Mercer County and Danville. If you want to get better, you have to play good teams. We have high expectations this year, and will find out immediately what our weaknesses really are."

Jaggers knows his team won't be able to match the numbers it did last year when running backs Corey Jackson and Brandon Ford helped the Titans set state rushing yardage and touchdown records.

"We only have 14 seniors, but we do have 32 juniors," Jaggers said. "We've got to get some of those younger kids to step up and fill the voids we have. We will get better. Some of those young players got to play in a lot of games last year. We have a lot of linemen back. But you still have got to have play makers, and that is where we have to find guys who can do the job."

POOR MERCER

They "only have 14 seniors......32 juniors" ohhhhh to have such a rebuilding year