Will Temple win a football game this year?

taydizzle

As a penalty for the three violations, the board put

Brentwood??™s athletic program on probation for four years,

excluded the boys??™ basketball and football teams from

tournament playoffs for two years, and imposed a $3,000

fine. Id., at 270.

This is from the Supreme Court documents that specified what had been imposed on Brentwood back in 1997. It would seem to be a precedent for what to expect for Temple. Remember, none of what Brentwood was accused of was involving basketball, yet they were banned from the post-season for two years along with football. Most who look at Temple's situation say it is worse than Brentwood was. If I was a Temple fan, I would still be holding my breath!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fine. Id., at 270.

This is from the Supreme Court documents that specified what had been imposed on Brentwood back in 1997. It would seem to be a precedent for what to expect for Temple. Remember, none of what Brentwood was accused of was involving basketball, yet they were banned from the post-season for two years along with football. Most who look at Temple's situation say it is worse than Brentwood was. If I was a Temple fan, I would still be holding my breath!

Excellent point

fine. Id., at 270.

You wish. We are not even comparing apples to apples. Brentwood clearly violated recruiting rules. Temple has not been charged with any recruiting that I know of.

Right now it is about kids practicing for Spring football when they should not have been and a kid who may have been ineligible playing in a few football games.

It is not the same thing.

You wish. We are not even comparing apples to apples. Brentwood clearly violated recruiting rules. Temple has not been charged with any recruiting that I know of.

Right now it is about kids practicing for Spring football when they should not have been and a kid who may have been ineligible playing in a few football games.

It is not the same thing.

So you think these two kids just happened to be walking down the street in Highland Park and said "hey lets go play football with these guys" and not to mention that the one parent said they were calling his kid....Lets be forreal Pasture Temple recruited these kids to come to spring practice

It is very similar in my eyes as well.

To sum up the Brentwood case...(correct me if I am wrong) Their football coach sent letters to kids that had already enrolled and invited them to spring football. They came and practiced. This was deamed a violation by TSSAA.

Temple allowed kids who had already enrolled, (assuming Larson had enrolled) to practice in spring football. Maybe there wasn't a letter but it is the same thing.

Am I missing something.

To sum up the Brentwood case...(correct me if I am wrong) Their football coach sent letters to kids that had already enrolled and invited them to spring football. They came and practiced. This was deamed a violation by TSSAA.

Temple allowed kids who had already enrolled, (assuming Larson had enrolled) to practice in spring football. Maybe there wasn't a letter but it is the same thing.

Am I missing something.

The two kids from CSAS were not enrolled...They were still attending classes at CSAS and you cant be enrolled at two schools at the sametime.

So you think these two kids just happened to be walking down the street in Highland Park and said "hey lets go play football with these guys" and not to mention that the one parent said they were calling his kid....Lets be forreal Pasture Temple recruited these kids to come to spring practice

You're assuming they were recruited because that's what you want to believe. The fact is CSAS doesn't have a football program and there's undoubtedly dozens of kids there who would like to go to a school where they could play. Who knows why they would choose Temple? A few reasons might be that they've got friends there, they know they'd have a shot to play, they live close by, etc. To just assume they went there because they were recruited is silly.

Am I missing something.

Below are parts from an old article in USA Today which sums it up pretty well. At the time having the 8th graders practice was not against the rules as it is now. Also the letter was hard evidence that was used against Brentwood to show that the boys had been invited by the coach. In the Temple case there was not a letter as far as I know and I have heard that some parties who came forward with information declined to go on record as to how the player came to know about Temple's Spring practice and who actually invited them. IMO the cases have some similarities but both the rules governing the case and the evidence (or lack of it) in the Temple case is different. Brentwood was also punished because a Middle School Coach was given tickets to a Brentwood football game and he in turn game them to students.

--------------------------------------

In the spring of 1997, Brentwood Academy football coach Carlton Flatt sent a letter to 12 eighth-grade boys admitted to the private school for the fall, inviting them to spring football practice. The school, which had won state football championships in 1995 and 1996, is still known for its athletics and has sent graduates to Auburn University and other football powers.All the boys took up the invitation from Flatt, who is now retired.

Boys weren't officially enrolled

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) said Flatt's letter to the boys violated its recruiting policy and fined Brentwood $3,000. The policy prohibited "undue influence on a student (or) his or her parents … to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes." Attached to the rule is guidance from the association barring a coach from contacting a student before his enrollment.

The TSSAA says that although the eighth-graders had been offered admission to the school, they were not officially enrolled and could have ended up at another high school. The association, made up of 290 Tennessee public schools and 55 private schools, said the rule is intended to make sure that athletics are not elevated over academics and that individual students are not exploited.

Brentwood sued, saying the fine violated its First Amendment and due-process rights.

In urging the justices to rule against the TSSAA, Brentwood emphasizes that it was punished not for opening the football practice to the eighth-graders, which was allowed by TSSAA at the time, but for communicating with students about the practice. The school says that ban impinges First Amendment free-speech rights and "isolates students from truthful information that can influence their choice of educational options."

You're assuming they were recruited because that's what you want to believe. The fact is CSAS doesn't have a football program and there's undoubtedly dozens of kids there who would like to go to a school where they could play. Who knows why they would choose Temple? A few reasons might be that they've got friends there, they know they'd have a shot to play, they live close by, etc. To just assume they went there because they were recruited is silly.

Not assuming anything, its just that your such a fan and wont take a second a step back and look at the situation. This is from the TFP "The father of one confirmed that his son was asked to try out by a Temple booster and that his son not only practiced but also played in the Crusaders' spring scrimmage against Christian Heritage"

So what is your definition of recruiting? But now im sure that your gonna say that the kids father was not telling the truth.

How did they find out about the practices? Improper contact with the coaches had to occur for them to even be allowed to practice. Do you really think that they just came over and got equipment and started practicing without at least one coach approving it? This alone could be seen as recruiting by the TSSAA. It is one reason the practice rule was put in place after the Brentwood case came about.