South Pittsburg's 3 Stata Championship Teams

OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate is ALL SMILES, OP says tell those fuzz face guys. Hey, ZP you are not as old as some of these old pirates, but Bridgeport had a spread offense with David Coates as QB. The Bridgeport team was extremely tough for several years and beat the 72 Pirates with Coach Hale and friends. OP remembers the Thomas boys, Steve & Doc who were recievers and Gary Rorex @ RB, there was a spread offense around in the day. David Coates went on to QB the Ole Miss. Rebels.

PLEASE............these fuzz faces are beginning to ruffle some old pirates grey hair. OH, well maybe all still have some hair. OP remembers this same kind of smack talk going on prior to that first old timers game when Danny Wilson was in SP. The youngons got a wake up call, and some from the sidelines. The old pirates whipped their tails that night and the game ended in a tie after Dale Gibson's 40 yd field goal attempt hit the cross bar as time ran out. The goober refs failed to mark the ball back in the center of the field after a pass to the left flat fell incomplete. The refs marked it on the left hash making a more difficult field goal. The attempt was backed up 15 yds for an unsportsman like penalty. Yes the refs were youngons, figure that out.

Hey, old pirates how many of you particpated in the PuntPass, & Kick contests. The fuzz faces couldn't out do the old pirates today with PP&K. OP says the youngons have learned to talk alot............. OP can remember tha hall of fame reflecting records for track. The youngons say, TRACK???????????????? whats that?????????? That is what old pirates did in the day. The fuzz faces probably never attempted a high jump,broad jump. OP can remember trck meets at the old field,that is where the softball field is today for the youngons. Jim Beene, Larry Phelps. Donny Phelps, Rusty Adcock, Johnny Reames. The kicking & passing done in the neighborhood yards of yesteryear have been replaced by the remote. You know the ones on your computers.

YES,THINGS HAVE CHANGED hurricaneditka, but not all for the better.

I am wondering do you have a fetish with peach fuzz???? You mention it a aweful lot in your post....OP your new nickname is PEACHFUZZ.... You probably cant even grow a beard HA....Your comments are behind on the times... If all of this is true , that is like saying that the old Colts with Unitus would DESTROY the Colts with Manning... You OLDer guys and your football memories have shortened as the years go by.... Its ok Ditka was even a little touchy on this topic because he admitted football even passed him by.... Things change, Its ok we all get old and one day I will be old and stubborn like you guys... But for know

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right on about that...But they didnt have the facilities or equipment to use...Coaches didnt have a VCR to rewind and watch film the actually used film... There is alot that has changed , the basics stay the same, but alot has improved...

Cool Breeze i get the impression your just fishing. The '69 team was the best without question. Ever play defensive end andhave a 1969 Pirate 46 on 2 sweep come at you. Just ask any of those people theyll tell you.

I am wondering do you have a fetish with peach fuzz???? You mention it a aweful lot in your post....OP your new nickname is PEACHFUZZ.... You probably cant even grow a beard HA....Your comments are behind on the times... If all of this is true , that is like saying that the old Colts with Unitus would DESTROY the Colts with Manning... You OLDer guys and your football memories have shortened as the years go by.... Its ok Ditka was even a little touchy on this topic because he admitted football even passed him by.... Things change, Its ok we all get old and one day I will be old and stubborn like you guys... But for know

Old Pirate says you youngons can talk all you want. It is impossible to intelligently speak on a subject

(yesteryear)you obviously know NOTHING about. Go to the couch and get that remote. OP is sure your fingers need the exercise.

Now CB discounting all the OP stuff i can actually agree with you on the NFL analogy. AT THAT LEVEL things have changed. At the High School i just dont see it. Even with the new spread offenses from watching the play offs it still mostly comes down to whoever plays the best smash mouth football wins the gold balls. High school just dont have the finesse the higher level game do.

Old Pirate is ALL SMILES, OP says tell those fuzz face guys. Hey, ZP you are not as old as some of these old pirates, but Bridgeport had a spread offense with David Coates as QB. The Bridgeport team was extremely tough for several years and beat the 72 Pirates with Coach Hale and friends. OP remembers the Thomas boys, Steve & Doc who were recievers and Gary Rorex @ RB, there was a spread offense around in the day. David Coates went on to QB the Ole Miss. Rebels.

Bridgeport had some pretty good teams through the years and the Coates years were some of the best. My Dad played in the late 50's under Coach Harry Sommers. Bridgeport - SP games were always some of the best.

Fingers??? Peach Fuzz??? OP what kinda fetishes do you have down there.... I dont roll like that OP... I would agree with you Capone to a certain degree but I feel like those analogies are felt from the NFL through College and High School... Someone told me the 69 team ran one play.... There is no way in the world that would work today PERIOD.... I dont care if you have LT back there runnin the ball....Every now and again sure.... but not every play like you guys you to do... Maybe I am way off about 69 only runnin one play... But thats the Rumor...

Fingers??? Peach Fuzz??? OP what kinda fetishes do you have down there.... I dont roll like that OP... I would agree with you Capone to a certain degree but I feel like those analogies are felt from the NFL through College and High School... Someone told me the 69 team ran one play.... There is no way in the world that would work today PERIOD.... I dont care if you have LT back there runnin the ball....Every now and again sure.... but not every play like you guys you to do... Maybe I am way off about 69 only runnin one play... But thats the Rumor...

Its a rumour. What would happen is there would be a play the other team couldn't stop and it would keep getting called. It was like the quarterfinals game in 1985 at Oneida. Oneida had given up 800 yards rushing all year and Johnny Sisco ran of 325 yards on them. Plus to the untrained eye, the side-saddle single wing looked like one play.

OK first would you please drop the pervert references. Thais is all supposed to be fun and thats a little out of line. Now the '69 team did have mmore than a single play but the coaching staff believed fervently in the principle that why shoot cork guns at the enemy when you have a cannon in the backfield. Key in on that point and youll begin to see just why this team was so great. No they didn't really win by running one single play, but they probably could have if they chose to. Ill say it one more time Jimmy Wigfall, team69, et al. Panther quick, leather tough. Mohammed Ali said it best "The Greatest". One last thing IMO Wigfall was and very likely still is better than LT (thats a hyperbolistic statement meant to reflect just how good me and many others realize this guy was). Go pirates.

Its a rumour. What would happen is there would be a play the other team couldn't stop and it would keep getting called. It was like the quarterfinals game in 1985 at Oneida. Oneida had given up 800 yards rushing all year and Johnny Sisco ran of 325 yards on them. Plus to the untrained eye, the side-saddle single wing looked like one play.

Old Pirate says good post. I saw that game @ Oneida with Sisco running wild. The single wing was very effective and teams hated to prepare for it. Coach McKinney (coach @ Stevenson,Ala in late 70s & early 80s) told me SP was his most difficult team to prepare for due to the single wing. Coach Don Grider tweeked the single wing to allow QB Chris Ferrell to throw the ball more. This started a trend that eventually took the TB out of the passing game. The TBs became ball carriers and seldom attempted a pass.

Imagine a direct snap to Wigfall,Wig starts right as if a famous 46 off tacke play, suddenly stops and fires a long pass to the left end crossing the middle or the right end slipping out and snagging a ten yarder. The single TB was basically similar to shot gun now-a-days which could run or pass. The 69 team with Wigfall passing and Bobby Joe Ford receiving held the SP reception record for "decades", YES DECADES.........

my friends. Rumor, OH yes more than 1 play . THE 46 PLAY of old was the toss right 46 to TB Corey Tipton 94 or Sam Picket 99, BUT MORE versible with a strong pass threat to keep the defense honest.

OP says again, these youngons quiet honestly can not speak intelligently about something they know "0" about and never witnessed.

I guess thats why soo many teams still run the single wing.. I will leave you guys alone now and your glory..

The offensive line for the Single-Wing is a religion. The center has to have ice water in his veins. He needs to be able to snap it to the tail back, full back or blocking back or even the wb on a rare wrinkle.

For our information, Univerisity of Arkansas ran some singlewing type plays last year with McFadden the chewed up Outaburn at home and Tennessee up in Flakeyville!

Also, why is it that and old man like Dale Gibson can still kick a 40 yard filed goal and the young Pirates can't figure it out?

There was a lot of grumbling by some fans during the sw days but I liked to watch it when a good team ran it and would and did drive 400 miles to see them play. Phil Beene learned the single wing from General Bob Neyland himself and put in the variation with the blocking back side-saddle behind the center. Dale Gibson was one of the best BB I saw out of SP along with Mark Allison and Chris Ferrel.

the SW can be ran with a balanced line, unbalanced line with 2 TE on either side or with a SE and the WB can be lined up out in the slot . . . and holey moley a passing formation. Throw in some motion like the 85-87 teams had and you could even fake a pass and toss sweep to Johnny Sisco or Carl Lehr. Plus the wingbacks were good receivers and on those teams and I beleive it was during a semi-final game against Westmorland that Ferrel and one of the WB brock the record of the most consecutive passes . . . 11 in a row I believe to break the Wigfall record mentioned above.

Also, for you young guys that haven't figured it out, the various T-formations are pretty old. Ken Colquitt made Jasper famous (Brideport as well) running the old Houston Veer formation.

Class Dismissed. Test Friday.