South Pittsburg's 3 Stata Championship Teams

OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate I do not know many of the "legends" you are talking about. I remember seeing some of them play, but not all of them. I remember Zalmer Chubb, he was tough as nails and about as fast as any I have ever seen in the valley. From a legends perspective, I can't rightfully rank these guys when I don't know all of them. I could rank some for the entire Sequatchie Valley.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate I do not know many of the "legends" you are talking about. I remember seeing some of them play, but not all of them. I remember Zalmer Chubb, he was tough as nails and about as fast as any I have ever seen in the valley. From a legends perspective, I can't rightfully rank these guys when I don't know all of them. I could rank some for the entire Sequatchie Valley.

Old Pirate says, Legend, OP can respect that, These youngons do all this talking without knowing just what they're talking about. Surely the Zone Pirate remembers these guys and perhaps some other old pirates can lend a thought. OP is sure............... they will. Come on guys, "let the debate continue"

the single wing boiled down to your line..if you have a quick line.. ergo your pulling guards...ends blocking down on linebackers,, your BB and fullback taking out the end...its hard to stop. my senior year we actually added the double wing... where the fullback would either go in motion and line up behind the weak end or the left end...and the tailback was in the backfield alone... bridgeport use to run this type of offense...

but just from my point of view... i would not want to be the corner or end having to take on this offense..

when ran correctly and with speed... its virtually unstoppable... and there is so many other plays you can do with it... yea i was sold on the single wing

JSisco,

I remember what you are talking about with the double wing. That made David Wyatt one of the biggest wing-backs around. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> It also left the defenses wondering if it was going to be a pass play or not or which way the sweep would go.

Old Pirate says, living legend, OP is disappointed you did not give you thoughts about the teams in question.

Perhaps, you can lend us a legend's take on these former tailbacks.

SP's top 10 TBs

1. Jimmy Wigfall, a true living legend

2. Zalmer Chubb,fast but not the fastest

3. Corey Tipton, shifty but not the shiftest

4. Eddie Moore, the latest living legend

5. Sam Picket, the fastest & reportedly the strongest pound for pound

6. Bobby "Bo" Haden, combination of power and speed

7. Johnny Sisco, track guy turned football player

8. Carl Lehr, track guy turned football player

9. Bruce Mitchell, 1 year wonder boy

10. unnamed, OP's skillet wounds are hendering his thinking

OP sees these as the best tailbacks since the classification started. OP has not ranked these, just random entries

I don't agree with your ranking there but I agree with the people on it. You left out Chris Jones and Rusty Adcock.

Old Pirate says don't scan the post, read it all to the last word. No ranking given. OP says maybe Adcock would be a top 10? Feel free rank them, OP chose not to at this time.

OP, your numbering threw me. By the way, Lehr may have been a track guy, but was one of the toughest TBs I've seen out of SP. I saw him get beat on a few games and still performed, especially up at Grungy County.

OP, your numbering threw me. By the way, Lehr may have been a track guy, but was one of the toughest TBs I've seen out of SP. I saw him get beat on a few games and still performed, especially up at Grungy County.

Old Pirate says Lehr was a tough guy. Hey, Geno, ole Dunwoody obviously posts on this thread. He should have a good take on a top 10. OP wonders why nobody has posted their top 10 list.

Dunwoody we know you're out there..............................

Patrick Pitts & Rodney Cummings were good backs as well.

They were but I don't think they were as good as the 11 on the list above. Cummings ran 99 yards at Jasper in '87 with a fracture in his leg that ultimately ended his seson way early and they ended up getting knocked out in the 3rd round of the playoffs. They accumulated too many injuries and ended up with too many players out resulting in an all freshmen backfield with senior Chris Ferrell at Blocking Back (thats the Quarter Back in the single wing). Morrison got hurt that game and was out for more than the last half. Pitts was the freshmen tailback. He started over at Copper Basin to win the District which came down to those 2 schools on the last game of the season. The cougars were actually competitive back then. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> They even had 2 all-state QBs on that team. Pitts always ran hard, I give him that.

Basically, the '87 team was a good team but lost too many players to injuries.

They were but I don't think they were as good as the 11 on the list above. Cummings ran 99 yards at Jasper in '87 with a fracture in his leg that ultimately ended his seson way early and they ended up getting knocked out in the 3rd round of the playoffs. They accumulated too many injuries and ended up with too many players out resulting in an all freshmen backfield with senior Chris Ferrell at Blocking Back (thats the Quarter Back in the single wing). Morrison got hurt that game and was out for more than the last half. Pitts was the freshmen tailback. He started over at Copper Basin to win the District which came down to those 2 schools on the last game of the season. The cougars were actually competitive back then. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> They even had 2 all-state QBs on that team. Pitts always ran hard, I give him that.

Basically, the '87 team was a good team but lost too many players to injuries.

Old Pirate asks what Morrison are you talking about? OP agrees, these 2 were not in the top 10 league.