Green Wave Defense

govolsgo7069

Attitude is the difference. It used to be that most kids growing up in Gallatin wanted to play for the Green Wave. When you finally were playing for the Green Wave then it became not wanting to be the team that did not do well. As a former player, our attitude was we were not going to lose period. We were reminded by the coaches each week that we were playing for our fathers, brothers, uncles,and anybody else that ever wore the Geen and Gold. Defense is all about attitude. The players have to bring the attitude that they are going to win the battle every play. The defense has got to go 100mph every play. I think the defense will get better.

I couldn't agree more. Another point that is interesting to me... Why are there no more Donny Mabes, or Chuck Gibsons? I was only a young pup back in the monster teams of the 80's, but back then it seemed like the team's weight lifting was far superior to now. I know they focus on different strength conditioning now, but seems to me like back then a team would have 10 or 12 guys bench pressing at least 300 pounds and even some around the 400 pound mark. Now, it's amazing for people to see someone bench even close to 300 pounds at a lift-a-thon. I know formations have changed, and there is an emphasis on speed now... But what of the expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, that answer has long since past, and frankly... Things are broken now. Let's just hope these guys can fix it. I feel confident that they can.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude is the difference. It used to be that most kids growing up in Gallatin wanted to play for the Green Wave. When you finally were playing for the Green Wave then it became not wanting to be the team that did not do well. As a former player, our attitude was we were not going to lose period. We were reminded by the coaches each week that we were playing for our fathers, brothers, uncles,and anybody else that ever wore the Geen and Gold. Defense is all about attitude. The players have to bring the attitude that they are going to win the battle every play. The defense has got to go 100mph every play. I think the defense will get better.

Well said. Pride and tradition with a team or school creates the "want to" legacy role. It's kinda like gas for a car - car won't run without it. I think that as Gallatin continues to explode in growth, it may be creating watered-down versions of gas. Pride and tradition are still there, but has to work harder and find other avenues to continue its legacy. Teams of the 80's aren't the same as teams in the 21st century. You have to adjust - the players are different, coaching is different, motivation is different. Gallatin has such a tremendous history - just because they having growing pains with this young bunch doesn't mean the legacy is over. Good luck Wave

the thing i am saying is while people say they don't have playmakers, they actually do. the problem is wether or not they want to step up and take that role or just sit back and watch everybody else. their's plenty of players that can be all-region or even all-state on that team they just need to grow up and accept the responsibility that if you are going to play for gallatin's defense then you better get the mind set that you are not going let any team score or gain a yard for that matter.