Lebanon at LaVergne

jackmoreblackson

87 for LaVergne is the real deal

When people defined close games to be determined by special teams. I never believed it until last night.

Heartbroken right now.

LaVergne was in Lebanon's redzone TWICE early. Tillery fumbled once and a player, which probably won't see the field again this year, flat out missed the block for them to block a field goal. We also snapped it over the holder's head on the game tying extra point. Ridiculous.

The offense did a pretty good job, but started off very slow. I don't know how much I can stress that we have to get it rolling early instead of making everything interesting towards the end.

The defense got bullied tonight. Point blank. We did a pretty good job for the most part, but they muscled us for most of the night. Great job on some drives, but it seemed like they took some series off. Not plays, series.

On the other hand, Lebanon is a pretty good team. Very beatable, but a good team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

87 is also a class act, to be able to talk about it after such a disheartenimg outcome...but there is lots of ball left to play and seeing as McGavock played Hunters Lane so tough last night - time to get right off the mat.

Anyway, you played a fine game and remind people more and more of THIS guy all the time:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=0658

LaVergne just shot themselves in the foot in this game. This was my first chance to see Chris Gray and he's a really good ball player. It would be nice if they got him the ball a little bit more!!! That's not a shot at Crocker either, who I thought ran the offense really well. I judge QB's on what they do when they are down and when LaVergne got down 21-7, there was no panic. Shoot, he was great in the fourth quarter.

Special Teams and poor playcalling got the Rines beat. First and Ten at the 22 with a minute to go and your playcalls were a low percentage, across the field pass to Gray on first down that almost got picked (why do you roll a guy left and ask him to throw across the field). On second down, you throw another low percentage ball in the corner to #84, who almost made a great catch. And on third, you run a smoke draw that everybody in LaVergne knew was coming and lose yardage.

What you do in that situation is throw a bubble screen or run on either first or second down, especially if you're content with settling for the FG attempt. I thought Hester left his kicker out to dry with those last three calls. A 40 yarder in that situation is not a gimme kick by any means. The shame of it is he called a really good game up to that point, but he cost them late. I would have thrown the bubble or the inside screen to Gray or Gardener on first, ran the inside zone on second, and palyed it from there. You, at least, make that FG attempt easier if you do that.

LaVergne just shot themselves in the foot in this game. This was my first chance to see Chris Gray and he's a really good ball player. It would be nice if they got him the ball a little bit more!!! That's not a shot at Crocker either, who I thought ran the offense really well. I judge QB's on what they do when they are down and when LaVergne got down 21-7, there was no panic. Shoot, he was great in the fourth quarter.

Special Teams and poor playcalling got the Rines beat. First and Ten at the 22 with a minute to go and your playcalls were a low percentage, across the field pass to Gray on first down that almost got picked (why do you roll a guy left and ask him to throw across the field). On second down, you throw another low percentage ball in the corner to #84, who almost made a great catch. And on third, you run a smoke draw that everybody in LaVergne knew was coming and lose yardage.

What you do in that situation is throw a bubble screen or run on either first or second down, especially if you're content with settling for the FG attempt. I thought Hester left his kicker out to dry with those last three calls. A 40 yarder in that situation is not a gimme kick by any means. The shame of it is he called a really good game up to that point, but he cost them late. I would have thrown the bubble or the inside screen to Gray or Gardener on first, ran the inside zone on second, and palyed it from there. You, at least, make that FG attempt easier if you do that.

you should put your application in so you can coach'em next year...you've got it all figured out!!

When people defined close games to be determined by special teams. I never believed it until last night.

Heartbroken right now.

LaVergne was in Lebanon's redzone TWICE early. Tillery fumbled once and a player, which probably won't see the field again this year, flat out missed the block for them to block a field goal. We also snapped it over the holder's head on the game tying extra point. Ridiculous.

The offense did a pretty good job, but started off very slow. I don't know how much I can stress that we have to get it rolling early instead of making everything interesting towards the end.

The defense got bullied tonight. Point blank. We did a pretty good job for the most part, but they muscled us for most of the night. Great job on some drives, but it seemed like they took some series off. Not plays, series.

On the other hand, Lebanon is a pretty good team. Very beatable, but a good team.

"and a player, which probably won't see the field again this year, flat out missed the block"

"We also snapped it over the holder's head on the game tying extra point. Ridiculous. "

wow don't see any class in those statements

way to call out teammates

I understand frustration but man that is pretty cold toward fellow teamamtes.

sounds like something terrell owens would say

Be interesting to see if you drop a pass or miss a block the rest of the year especially in a big game you know kharma has cruel way of popping up.

"and a player, which probably won't see the field again this year, flat out missed the block"

"We also snapped it over the holder's head on the game tying extra point. Ridiculous. "

wow don't see any class in those statements

way to call out teammates

I understand frustration but man that is pretty cold toward fellow teamamtes.

sounds like something terrell owens would say

Be interesting to see if you drop a pass or miss a block the rest of the year especially in a big game you know kharma has cruel way of popping up.

Yeah, if you know the circumstances and who the players were then you would understand why I said that. Do you know who I'm talking about? Were you there? Do you know the work ethic of that player? Exactly.

I could easily say names, THAT would be cold.

and snapping over the holder's head IS ridiculous. Cold? I don't think so. True? yes.

I'm now a believer of special teams wins games. Special teams used to be the "chill" part of practice so hopefully we can turn that around.

#35 on kick coverage flat-out stuck a Lebanon guy in the numbers (after the first Lavergne TD) that was half-a-foot taller and 50 pounds bigger. THAT is the type of special teams attitude teams need.

Colleges often use wide-outs and TE's as long snappers because they have good hands.

I never understood why high schools don't try it.

#35 on kick coverage flat-out stuck a Lebanon guy in the numbers (after the first Lavergne TD) that was half-a-foot taller and 50 pounds bigger. THAT is the type of special teams attitude teams need.

Colleges often use wide-outs and TE's as long snappers because they have good hands.

riverdale uses an under sized but probably their most athletic o-lineman as their snapper (carson tinker been the snapper since his sophmore year)...the guy very might well lead the special teams in tackles as he gets down the field quicker than anyone and always in position to make the tackle.

Actually, many colleges now offer full scholarships for that position. Many, especially the larger schools with better programs, are getting away from trying to teach a TE, QB, or WR to do it and recruiting snappers like any other position.

HSsportsfootball, if you are a player and feel so strong about not snapping over the holders head, maybe you should ask the coach to let you have that job. It can't be that difficult to throw a spiral between your legs to a 12" target while your bent over and there are other players waiting to hit you. Oh, and the game is on the line. I am sure this was not the only missed assingment by a player on either team.

Heartbroken right now.

i agree completley we copuld have won. but we will bounce back.

A couple of missed opportunites in the first half by Lavergne, deep in Lebanon territory.

That really sums up the difference in the game, more than a missed fg late.

(I would gladly say if it was wide to whichever side but it looked fine from where I was sitting and looked like it had 6 or 7 yards to spare...take nothing away from Lebanon who played very hard and intense.)

A good showing by both teams.

football is a game of inches,one first down was by a nose of the ball for lebanon,#87 in the corner was ruled out of bounds(inches i belive),#7 wide open in the middle the ball missed his hands by want inches,a 42 yard field goal (at any level is not a gimmie)was ruled wide left by inches!!!! I have looked at the tape of the final kick OVER AN OVER,the only thing i can say is the ball did not go thru the up rights becuse it was appx 3 feet over the top of the left up right an landed appx 15yards deep. This would mean the kick was good if it crossed the post. if you look at the ref on the right he was not under the goal post.both teams deserved to win but only one can.