Cheatham Co. at Lipscomb

Big Country

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it matters whether Garrett Potts is back or not , there's always a chance. It's a TEAM effort not just the QB.

I agree with you, it is a team effort. I just think they would play better as a whole with Potts as the quarterback. They started the season with him so they should end the season with him, unless his play is not at the level Coach Finley feels is necessary.

I don't think it matters whether Garrett Potts is back or not , there's always a chance. It's a TEAM effort not just the QB.

Most everyone that knows region 5-3a understands that lipscomb has dominated the region in the past and I dont think it stops anytime soon!!!! Anything can happen though, CC has nothing to lose bc they are the underdogs... All they have to do is go out and play and have fun....

DL 35

CC 7

It's okay. Lipscomb is a great team as they always are. Jeremy Holt is no longer a secret as he's a great back who should win up rushing for 1,500-2,000 yards this season when all is said and done. Zack Rogers is an excellent player at receiver who'd be a 1,000 yard type of player if he played in a system where a team threw the football 20+ times per game. Defensively Lipscomb is very good. Webb & Tenpenny are both all-state caliber players playing for a defense that will always be good under this staff. Rogers & Holt anchor the top secondary in the region and possibly the state. Lipscomb loves to beat up on the receivers of their opposition. ALL IN ALL THIS IS A GREAT TEAM & DESPITE GRADUATING GREAT PLAYERS THEY CONTINUE TO GET BETTER & BETTER WHICH IS WHY THEY STILL HAVEN'T LOST A GAME TO A TEAM IN REGION 5-3A!!!!!!

I like to think through the last two years that Cheatham Co. has definately earned the respect of Lipscomb. The playoff game in '05 was an all out physical war that was won by the Mustangs defense forcing big turnovers in tight situations. The Cubs are struggling this season coming off of a blowout loss to Giles Co. (66-20) and then last week they followed that performance with a worse effort in losing to inter-county rivals Sycamore (35-6). In both games the Cubs were shredded defensively. In the Giles game the quarterback threw for 300 yards and the running game accounted for nearly an additional 200. In the Sycamore game the passing game was held to 0 yards but unfortunately the running game accounted for over 450 yards. ALL OF THIS HAVING BEEN SAID THOUGH THE CUBS ARE A TEAM THAT I EXPECT TO REALLY GET IT TOGETHER AND TURN THINGS AROUND BEFORE LONG!!! Potts is sidelined due to an injury but CC does have his return to look forward to in the weeks to come. Offensively that will help out tremendously. This team has not gone to the playoffs for 5 STRAIGHT SEASONS by some fluke miracle or accident. Coach Finley is a great coach and he has a top notch staff. The players have always been TOUGH!!!! I'd never say that the team has been the most talented but the toughness will never be questioned. The players have always been a reflection of their leader. Just because this season is at 0-3 and there have been a few embarrassing defeats along the way doesn't mean that the Cubs should "just can it in" by any means.

I fully expect Lipscomb to get Cheatham's best shot this week. The players would love to be the 1ST TEAM IN REGION 5 to pick up a win over Lipscomb. Now wouldn't that be a great way to turn things around and get the season on track heading into "Homecoming 2007" next week against Greenbrier. Either way, that second half region schedule is where the Cubs playoff hopes for a sixth consecutive season will be put to the test. That is also when the team should get much much healthier which is a great help for the potential run. DON'T DISCOUNT THE CUBS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM FOLKS!!!!!!

Big Country, how do you stop DL's offense? Their defense is bend but don't break. Is your best defense 3-4 long drives on offense to keep the DL offense off the field or is it done on the Defensive line?

I think you play a 6 man line ....wide tackle..ends out wide.....then have four lb's sideline to sideline...and four db's playing off about 10 yds.

No one questions CC's character.....but somebody better tackle like a madman every play on defense......does CC have anaswers on offense.

Big Country, how do you stop DL's offense? Their defense is bend but don't break. Is your best defense 3-4 long drives on offense to keep the DL offense off the field or is it done on the Defensive line?

I think you play a 6 man line ....wide tackle..ends out wide.....then have four lb's sideline to sideline...and four db's playing off about 10 yds.

No one questions CC's character.....but somebody better tackle like a madman every play on defense......does CC have anaswers on offense.

Defensively you must be good and very sound up front and have some LBs that can tackle. Look at the teams that have given Lipscomb some trouble in recent years.

Goodpasture had Fisher & Groves up front. Those two guys never got trapped and when Lipscomb attempted to run wide against Goodpasture they got shutdown for the most part. Even in the '05 game (Mustangs WIN) Lipscomb's offense wasn't able to move the ball hardly against GP's defense.

Fulton had Hamilton & Higgins up front. Both of those guys went 300+ and were both very athletic. Lipscomb's offensive line couldn't handle them last year in the Blue Cross Bowl. Fulton also has a good group of LBs anchored by Stokes. Lipscomb had no way to get wide on them and besides one huge play on the trap by Elrod the running game got shutdown.

Giles Co. in the playoffs last year had a good gameplan that gave the Mustangs fits. They played a 5-3. Dangerfield is a monster at nose but last year Giles also had two really good senior tackles playing along side Dangerfield. Also last year Jerry Cobb played MLB for Giles and he was good at making plays. When he's inside and being flanked by OLBs like Harney & Reynolds then it's no wonder why GC was so good last year. DL hit a big screen pass against GC late but for the most part the running game again was shutdown.

Cheatham Co. in 2005 is a team that gave Lipscomb's offense trouble defensively. Gary Knox & Brad Potts were a couple of strong tackles. Knox was the best lineman at defending the trap that I have ever seen. At linebacker the Cubs had two guys that could play MLB in Landon Jones & Jack Hoeh. Both guys came downhill and hammered the FB. The two OLBs were both fast and very athletic players who were awesome. Ben Moore & Clint Casteel is who I am referring to. Casteel may have been the best defensive player to ever come through CCCHS. Lipscomb hit a big play through the air on their opening drive and then got a few turnovers defensively and that was the difference in their 13-3 win in the postseason.

Greenbrier had Lipscomb's number in 2004-2005. This is when the Bobcats had players like Brown, Cole, & Williams up front. All of those were just big 'ole strong country boys that could compete with Lipscomb by the time they were upper-classmen. It also doesn't hurt when you have players like Trevor Dickerson and Clint Russell at LB that never missed tackles because they were well-coached sound football players. In the secondary Lipscomb never hurt the Bobcats because Greenbrier always had an athlete like Herndon or Aldridge who were two good athletes that again were fundamentally sound football players.

Livingston Academy two years ago had no stars up front. They just had some good sound football players that had been playing for a while. LA put together quite a gameplan in the Blue Cross Bowl. All they did defensively was overload strong and force the Mustangs to try and run speed option weak. LA had a strong safety walked up as an extra man in the box that day by the name of Wilson Cates and he never missed a play. For some odd reason LA got away from this in the second half of that game and that's when Lipscomb's offense went to work. In the end though it was Cates on offense that was a difference maker.

THOSE ARE THE BEST 6 CASES THAT I CAN THINK OF FROM THE LAST 3-4 YEARS!!!!

It's a very rare situation when you'll have a team with the athletes like the 2003 Huntingdon Mustangs or the 2004 Alcoa Tornadoes who both just destroyed Lipscomb because they were both very solid and senior led up front and had great athletes getting the football everywhere else like Chris Donald, Terrence Bell, Boo Weathers, Dunstin Lindsay, Brandon Warren, etc. etc. etc. THOSE TWO TEAMS COULD HAVE COMPETED WITH ANYONE THOSE TWO YEARS!!!!!

Lipscomb is great because when teams don't adjust to what they do then they will keep it simple and do what they do and in most every case THEY WIN!!!! Run the trap. Run the sweep. Run the belly. Run the sprint draw. TEAMS STILL CAN'T STOP THEM!!!!! When teams are athletic enough or sound enough to compete and do stop the running game for DL then they can still hurt you through the air. These are plays like throwing the deep ball to an Austin Rogers, Ford Hillin, or Zach Rogers. They can also catch you blitzing and throw the screen and score because they have athletic linemen who are good at blocking at the second level.

Sorry big country.I wish I was wrong but this won't be a battle.Y'all better step it up after what I saw at the Brickyard.

DL 63 CC10

No team in the McCadams era has scored 60 points or more in a game. There has been many times where the Mustangs could have named the score, but Coach Mac will not run up that type of score. The Highest Mustangs Winning scores were:

1976 61-0 over Randolph Academy

1970 62-0 over Mt. Pleasant

1970 70-6 over Joelton

Worst Mustang Defeats: 1937 Central (Nashville) 54-0

1969 TPS 82-12

1974 BA 55-6

1988 BA 63-7

No team in the McCadams era has scored 60 points or more in a game. There has been many times where the Mustangs could have named the score, but Coach Mac will not run up that type of score. The Highest Mustangs Winning scores were:

1976 61-0 over Randolph Academy

1970 62-0 over Mt. Pleasant

1970 70-6 over Joelton

Worst Mustang Defeats: 1937 Central (Nashville) 54-0

1969 TPS 82-12

1974 BA 55-6

1988 BA 63-7

I am from Joelton.

I hope that's not a sign of things to come /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="