Solution to private debate!?

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN ALL THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS HAULED IN BY THE 1A PRIVATE SCHOOLS THIS YEAR. I THINK A MULTIPLIER IS THE ANSWER. JUST LOOK AT THE BLOW OUTS THE LAST TWO YEARS IN FOOTBALL. CPA AND EZELL KILLED THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS. IT'S NOT COACHING LIKE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE LIKE TO SAY, HOW MANY STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS HAS SCOTT SMITH WON ANYWHERE ELSE? IT'S EASY TO WIN WITH ALL THAT TALENT. YOU LIKE TO TELL THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS TO WORK HARDER AND WHIP THOSE PRIVATE SCHOOLS, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE. WHEN YOU SEE THE ONE SIDED SCORES BETWEEN THE GOOD PUBLIC AGAINST THE GOOD PRIVATE SCHOOLS, IT'S EASY TO SEE WHO IS NOT PLAYING UP TO THE COMPETITION. DON'T SAY GOOD COACHING AND HARD WORK, THE GOOD PRIVATE SCHOOLS JUST END UP WITH MORE GOOD ATHELETES. IT'S LIKE ELA SAID IN ONE OF HIS POSTS. THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ALWAYS END UP 2 OR 3 PLAYERS SHORT. IF CLOUDLAND COULD HAVE HAD OWENS AND DAVIS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME LAST YEAR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLOWOUT, BUT WITH CLOUDLAND BEING THE CHAMPS. DON'T HOLLAR K-12 BECAUSE THOSE TWO WEREN'T THERE IN KINDERGARTEN, NOT EVEN CLOSE. A LOT OF THE BOYS PROBABLY WERE, BUT NOT THE MOST TALENTED ONES. BY THE NATURE OF THINGS, THE GOOD PRIVATE SHOOLS JUST END UP WITH MORE TALENT. THE BEST COACHES ARE THE ONES WHO COACH THE SMALL RURAL 1A SCHOOLS YEAR AFTER YEAR AND MAINTAIN A WINNING RECORD. DON'T SAY EZELL DOESN'T HAVE GOOD TALENT, BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID THAT COLLINWOOD WAS AS TALENTED, AND THEY WERE PUT IN THEIR PLACE RATHER QUICKLY BY AN EZELL FAN WHO STATED FIVE PLAYERS THAT WHERE MUCH MORE TALENTED THEN ANY COLLINWOOD HAD.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played for a good D2-AA school, the D2-AAA teams or the Super 7 would destroy teams like Notre Dame, BCS would probably beat Ryan and that might be it...so I don't know if we could throw them in to D2-AAA knowing they would get killed...as far as 1-A goes...

I have played some of those 1A power houses, I have played Ezell and USJ in the four years I played football...USJ beat us like 25-7 and just outplayed us with solid solid players, it wasn't athletes, it was just solid players...that is why I think that coaching in privates is very good for the most part (I'm not saying 1a public school coaches arent good, but I will say in the 4 years I played football, we never lost to one 1A public school EVER and we played probably 4 or 5 a year) Now when I played Ezell They were down right horrible, and had nothing going for them, including coaching...there transformation is due to athletes that they have recruited, I guess what I am saying is...athletically Ezell, CPA, USJ are probably all too good to play in 1A and should move to D2-AA (I think they would beat the majority of the D2-AA schools, but they would lose to the D2-AAA schools badly)...it's kinda sad, if you move those small private schools like lighthouse christian to D2-A they get murdered, if you move Notre Dame and BCS, they will get pretty much destroyed... there is no common ground for them...I am for a split because then maybe there will be less state champions.

VG, I don't think it is an option to just drop out and form another division. 1a and 2a would be fine without the privates. The cutoff for 1a would be a little higher than it is now. My school moved from 2a to 3a along with Trousdale, Cannon, Jackson, Upperman,(all of which have 2a enrollments) to avoid playing Goodpasture and Lipscomb. We competed well with them when they were in our region, but we don't want to play them in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with our chances to win. It is the principle, in that they have an unfair advantage. Do you think Trousdale is afraid of Goodpasture and Lipscomb? I can answer that. They would beat them more times than not, but they refuse to play them too. Maybe all 1a and 2a public schools should have moved up to 3a, then the privates could have had their own divisions in 1a and 2a.

pujo...first off, please don`t use all caps when posting. It`s hard to read and generally considered bad ettiquette on message boards.

I don`t know of the numbers for this year, but I know that the previous 3 years that public schools hold a 23-22 advantage in state titles.

In football over the last 33 years in class 1A public schools hold a 22-11 margin over the private schools. Public schools won the title 7 times in the 90`s.

You`ve got a lot of nerve to get on here and talk about private school blowouts. You and everyone else on here who "WHINES" about 1A. In 3 of the past 5 1A state championships there have been "blowouts" by public schools

1999...South Pittsburg 42 Moore County 13

(Oh gosh, golly, gee my bad. In this year there wasn`t even a private school that was good enough to get to the clinic bowl....LOL!!!!)

1998...Trousdale 63 USJ 18

(oh my....I think this one is only the most lop-sided championship game in the history of the Clinic Bowl)

1997...Trousdale 46 Clarksville Academy 0

(I suppose that Trousdale called off the dogs in this one since Clarksville Academy couldn`t even muster a point!!)

Talk about getting a clue!!! HELLOOOOOO???????

Scott Smith??? Who the heck is Scott Smith??? I`m guessing that he must coach a private school, otherwise you wouldn`t be complaining.

Who has said that Ezell didn`t have talent pujo? Please let me know because they need to be slapped hard with a big ol trout! Of course they had talent on that team. That`s why they won. DUH!!!!

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 6/2/02 7:17P]

I THINK YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT I SAID PRETTY WELL. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED THE LAST TIME CPA PLAYED TROUSDALE? iT WEAS A LOP-SIDED WIN FOR CPA. THE VERY NEXT YEAR TROUSDALE MOVED TO 3A. WHY? TO GET AWAY FROM THE PRIVATES. WE WOULD MOVE TO 3A OURSELVES, BUT WE ONLY HAVE ABOUT 213 STUDENTS. PROBABLY WOULDN'T CHANGE THINGS VERY MUCH, WE'D STILL BE PLAYING TEAMS WITH A LOT MORE TALENT, BUT THIS TIME BECAUSE OF TOTAL ENROLLMENT NOT SELECTIVE ENROLLMENT. EZELL AND AUSTIN EAST WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD GAME TO WATCH. THEY'RE ABOUT THE SAME. THAT'S WHY A MULTIPLER WOULD MAKE IT MORE FAIR FOR THE SMALLER PUBLIC SCHOOLS. I'D PULL FOR AUSTIN EAST THOUGH. THE ONLY SCHOOLS IN THE STATE WHO ARE NOT PLAYING UP TO THE COMPETITION ARE THE SMALL PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

Whatever pujo...All I did was give some undisputed facts. Facts that you can`t deny. Like I said, you have a lot of nerve talking about private blowouts while totally ignoring blowouts by public schools. That`s laughable IMO. You act like the public school blowouts didn`t even exist. Seven public championships last decade. That is a fact pujo. There is no way you can deny it. Look it up if you think I`m lying. Pujo...that means that in the last decade 70% of the time the best school in 1A was a public school. All you`re complaining about private schools and 70% percent of the time it was a public school taking home the trophy. I`m so sorry to smother you with facts.

And "please" lose the Caps.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 6/2/02 7:48P]

Indian...I`m replying to a post of yours on a different page. It was short so I`ll copy and paste it for everyone`s convienence...

"There are some 1A and 2A private schools that could compete in higher divisions, namely Goodpasture and some others. But it wouldn't be fair to put Lighthouse Christian and others in with schools that have 2,000 students. A total split would be fair for all, Lighthouse currently is in with teams such as Ezell-Harding and CPA, with a three-class Division II with all the privates they'd be in with the smallest currently 1A privates and have a better chance for improving."

I would like to expound on that a little. I know you are trying to be level-headed and I appreciate that. But, I would ask you these questions. Is it really fair for Trinity Christian to have to play in the same class as the USJ`s and the CPA`s? The answer is no. Likewise is it fair for the Gleason`s and the Crosby`s to have to play in the same class as the Bruceton`s and Collinwoods? That answer is also no. Some schools are just bad, both private and public, but that doesn`t mean they can`t improve. Some teams are just really good in both private and public, but that doesn`t mean they will always stay really good. Donelson Christian is the only 1A team to ever win more than one state championship (2) and they got beat by Collinwood 35 - 7 in the first round this year. We just came off the decade of the 90`s which saw 7 wins by the public schools. There were blowouts by private schools and there were blowouts by public schools. But all in all it was a good decade. The level of play in 1A has gotten better and it is something we should all be proud of.