Solution to private debate!?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ie3...me whining? LOL there is no possible way you could construe my post as whining.

The funny thing is that you have made assumptions about private school kids and also proved my point all in the same post and probably didn`t realize it.

First of all you made an assumption that private school kids don`t work or have busy schedules. If I misinterpreted you then give me a few of the reasons from which you state...." There is a very good reason a lot of boys cannot work at football as frequently as some of the private school kids can."

Next the fact that this kid who admirably helps his family out by working a job can also find time to go workout in a gym just proves my point that hard work and budgeting time can be accomplished. Which leads me back to my question of how many public schools QB`s took the time or made the time to come to school early and work on throwing and other things? Pujo made the comment that it made him mad when people said that public schools should work harder. I merely asked how many public school QB`s worked out on their own before school. So far no one has been able to say that this happens at their public school. Does it occur to you that perhaps some of these private school kids do work harder? I`m just wondering ..that`s all because I have no idea. But if their QB`s are not putting in the extra time like the school I`m aware of then they are falling behind.

Please don`t take me wrong. I`m not trying to demean any kids who play for a public school. But you have to ask yourself if maybe some of these private schools have developed a program that just demands extra work. There is nothing wrong with going that extra mile just like the kid you described, but maybe there are some whole teams who work in the same manner. It has absolutely nothing to do with unfair advantages, but more to do with goalsand high expectations.

Pioneer,

I'll respond to you and VG both here. I never made the statement that only private school players put in the extra work to be successful. What I said was, that several of the players had no choice but to do other things instead. For instance, how many of the urban private players miss practice to work tobacco, mild cows, or put up hay? Those are only a few of the things that come up for, as I said, small community (rural) players. I know of several of my son's teammates that work to provide money for a family that is hurting badly in this economy.

While many of the public school players can, and do, put in the extra time, some have no choice. That is not really a concern of private schools, in my truefully limited exposure to Tennessee urban private schools. If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Chakra made an interesting point about the usefullness of the extra, off-season work. Coaching makes a difference. For some of these kids, just having a coach available at any time other than standard, in-season, practices would help. That is also a problem that many of these aforementioned privates don't appear to have. I hope this clarifies what I was talking about.

VG, I only threw in the whining part because I'm tired of being labeled a whiner, when I have never done so. I hope we can talk about this issue in a civilized, and respectful manner, without all the namecalling.