Solution to private debate!?

"So I really don't see the outright domination that some claim. It simply is not there."

so what would you consider domination? six schools won 19 state "championships" in the past 2 years. EVERYONE ELSE combined won 13. of those 13, 4 were won by other private schools. 2 year tally, in head to head competition, in every sport that the single A (football) schools can compete:

the big 6: 19 "championships"

other 1-A Privates: 2

double A Privates: 2

public 4-A: 2

public 3-A: 5 (see ridgeway below)

public 2-A: 1

public 1-A: 1

i am curious, what is your cutoff to call it domination?

i notice that we are once again using that 10 year data. hopefully no-one is still playing from 10 years ago. altho there is a great desire to pretend it aint so, the overall numbers show no cyclic nature. just a steady shift to utter domination by a very small group of schools. 10 years ago, there were only a couple of serious players. now there are 6. can you find me 6 public schools in ANY classification with 19 "championships". the big 6 netted 19 in the past 2 years, they had "only" 19 in the 3 years before that. public 1-A managed only 1 in the last two years. the 3 years before that they had 7. 19 to 7 is domination. 19 to 1 is a joke.

you say "many" public schools compete "just fine". how do you define "just fine". does that mean they once beat a mediocre private? the only school on your list that seems to be competing on an even keel with the privates is ridgeway. a 1000 student school with (according to vol-gen, so dont yell at me) open enrollment, from MEMPHIS. the single A schools on your list are, i believe, at the front of the crowd screaming for a total split. i dont think that comes from competing "just fine".

just for grins, i calculated the odds on 6 schools winning 19 out of 32 titles. there isnt room here to go into all my methodology, but i did account for the different no. of schools at every grouping in which championships are contested. (and anyone else is welcome to produce their own odds.) i came up with a 1 in 1.2 trillion chance of that happening. while i find it quaint, and a little bit charming, the way yall can try to make a case based on a few carefully selected datum, i would truly enjoy seeing the sort of statistical gymnastics that could be used to translate the WHOLE pool of data into "the normal cycles of things".

nothing lasts forever. some things may not last long at all. even the tssaa will eventually act. my take on things is, when they do act, they will screw it up (like, say a total split). there are other answers, i dont think the status quo is going to be one of them in the long run. we need to find a way to class our sports appropriately, or all the privates will suffer in order to change a few. have we forgotten how the last one was handled?

[Modificato da lazarus su 10-11-02 7:48A]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by lazarus:

"I calculated the odds on 6 schools winning 19 out of 32 titles. There isnt room here to go into all my methodology, but I did account for the different no. of schools at every grouping in which championships are contested. (and anyone else is welcome to produce their own odds.) I came up with a 1 in 1.2 trillion chance of that happening. while I find it quaint, and a little bit charming, the way yall can try to make a case based on a few carefully selected datum, I would truly enjoy seeing the sort of statistical gymnastics that could be used to translate the WHOLE pool of data into "the normal cycles of things". P>

1-in-1,200,000,000 odds... I'll take those odds and go to Vegas! It seems the Public-Private Debate is Over! PRIVATE SCHOOLS DO DOMINATE!

Yes I believe you are right about seeing the benefits of being in such a large area without any zones. I think they learned it fron BA. As long as the system stays like it now is,we will see more and more private schools doing the same thing. You can,t really blame anyone,everyone is always trying to beat the sysyem. Most any school,if they were able to draw a few select atheletes without getting in trouble,would do the same thing. Everyone likes to win. I think Ezell will be known for the school who brought the system to a halt. Might even set a few more records while they have the chance. Have fun while it lasts. Your day is coming.

Posted by pujo:

Yes I believe you are right about seeing the benefits of being in such a large area without any zones. I think they learned it fron BA. As long as the system stays like it now is,we will see more and more private schools doing the same thing. You can,t really blame anyone,everyone is always trying to beat the sysyem. Most any school,if they were able to draw a few select atheletes without getting in trouble,would do the same thing. Everyone likes to win. I think Ezell will be known for the school who brought the system to a halt. Might even set a few more records while they have the chance. Have fun while it lasts. Your day is coming.

??? Why so hateful you guys will get yours it just might be next year. Our day is coming whois to say we have done anything wrong. I would agree that maybe the system is messed up or maybe the public schools dont see how terrible they are at sports but whatever it is its not fair.

I dont think they where tryin to beat the system like ive said a million times the system beat itself by failing to give student athletes a chance of sucedding because of the terrible schools in tennessee.

No they haven't done anything wrong. They just took advantage of the system. What makes me mad about the whole thing is this. Telling the public schools to work harder,when in reality they would have to work twice as hard to match the atheletes at some of the private schools.p

Posted by pujo:

No they haven't done anything wrong. They just took advantage of the system. What makes me mad about the whole thing is this. Telling the public schools to work harder,when in reality they would have to work twice as hard to match the atheletes at some of the private schools.p

I havent said that, tho ive seen people do that . A majority of those people are either students or recent graduates. I know they work hard but the truth be known private schools spend much more time at their specific sport than they do. Mainly because the time isnt taken up by other things stink as work, etc...

I dont see it as taking advantage of the system i see it as the system failing you as public school supporters. If they provided a half way decent enviroment in public schools then we wouldnt be able to get the athletes we do because it would be ok to go to publics schools. There are many things that need to change about the system, but the classification one plays in is a very small one in the overall picture.

Its not the small public schools either its the large public schools they are getting their students from. Its kinda like your big brother letting you down.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-14-02 11:29A]

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-14-02 11:40A]

Posted by pujo:

Pujo working harder may not be the correct response for Cloudland, but there are public schools who do get outworked by private schools, likewise, I`m sure there are public schools who outwork some of the privates. How many public schools QBs came in early before school to work out this fall? Did Cloudland`s???? If they didn`t, then maybe they should work harder.

Pujo, you obviously don't get hugged enough.

You are a very very bitter man. I'd recommend some intensive psychotherapy for that. It might help you get in touch with your inner child.

Keep the "your day is coming" comments rolling. We love to hear it.

Matter of fact, heard it all the week of November 30th last year. It just fires people up.

You're giving out more bulletin board material than you know.

• 3 weeks later...

VG

I don't know about Byrd, but I can think of one at another very small school in the same district that goes to the gym most mornings at 5:30, then school, then practice, then to a job to pay for the gym and help out his family (single parent who is out of work seasonally). Watch how wide a brush with which you paint; you run the risk of sounding like a whiner. There is a very good reason a lot of boys cannot work at football as frequently as some of the private school kids can. Notice I did not say as hard, I said as frequently. Many of them in very small communities have to work to help support their families for many different reasons. I don't want to get anything started here, but, that is one advantage that private schools have that keeps getting glossed over.

Before you become too exercised VG, I am not leaning either way on the issue anymore. I see good and bad to all the proposals. I do think something needs to be done, but I'm not real sure what it is.

Just to put a plug in here, and I think I'll start a thread in the open forum about it, remember everytime you purchase anything not made in this country you are putting another parent in the same position mentioned above. There is a trickle down effect, and the lowest level is not the consumer, it is the manufacturing/ production workers that suffer.