Ensworth vs. McCallie

tigerfan55

I too am glad that Ensworth has joined Div. II-AA. It's already a great league (probably the best in the state) and everything about Ensworth seems to indicate that they will be competitive in football for years to come. They have lots of cash, the best facilities in Middle TN (probably the state), a very good coaching staff, and some good athletes. But people need to slow down on the talk of them becoming a powerhouse. I feel like people are reading too much into their record this season. They have not beaten anyone worth getting excited about! If they want to consider themselves any good then they better beat the CPA & Webb's of the world. McCallie will be their first major test. And I highly doubt they will beat McCallie or MBA or Ryan.

In an earlier post someone was defending their schedule saying that they are already playing against the "big boys" b/c they will face McCallie, MBA, Ryan (I just can't bring myself to mention BGA). But these teams are in their conference--they HAVE TO PLAY THEM. I am being critical of their OUT of conference schedule- which is extremely weak. I understand that this is their first year of a full varsity schedule, but it just frustrates me sick that people are raving about Ensworth when they haven't played anyone. Friday night will answer a lot of questions. If Ensworth beats McCallie, I will be very impressed and tip my hat.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me tell you something about MBA. They will prepare for the Ensworth game just like they prepare for any game. Like Ensworth is undefeated and favored to win. This coaching staff is awesome! Rest assure, they will not be taken lightly. One game at a time, all the way to winning state.

You really don't need to tell me anything about MBA; I'm an alumnus. I have the highest regard for MBA students and teams, but they are composed of adolescent boys, and it's not inconceivable that they could overlook their guests at homecoming. I suspect Ricky will mention several times the implied slight of MBA's scheduling their first game with Ensworth on the night of the spaghetti supper. I'm not predicting it, but I also don't think it's an impossible scenario.

And good luck to Ensworth against McCallie.

Ensworth is very underrated. They have all the talent, coaching, and size they need, they simply lack the maturity. They WILL be a powerhouse, that's nothing to argue about. As of now its just a matter if they can pick up the maturity with these big games coming up. Theres no doubt in my mind, that they have the potential to be undefeated this year, but to do that they'll need to wide open all the time.

Undefeated? Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. They'll have their hands quite full next week with MBA if they can even get past McCallie undefated.

Nobody manages the game like Harrison Ballard for QB at EHS...and with weapons like Trent Wallace and Tavarris 'Beast Mode' Jefferson on offense and John Darwin and Blake Crozier on defense....EHS has a shot at this one. Especially since it is at Ensworth and I doubt a lot of McCallie will make it up to the game....

Wow. Okay Ensworth fan, you have played no one. Stone Mountain High School? St. Benedict? Those are some powerhouses right there. Talk to me when you take down Father Ryan or MBA this season. I will say that EHS will be a great team in the FUTURE, not now with their weak senior class.

I think maybe you're taking offense where none has been implied. The term "Super 7" was appropriate; all 7 of the schools involved have long and storied histories, except possibly BA, whose record over its relatively short existence is pretty good. I don't think anybody feels that Ensworth doesn't belong, just that they're probably a year or two away from being highly competitve in that classification. I think most people share the view that they are very well coached, and my thought is that they will probably bite somebody this year. As I've said elsewhere, I really wish MBA had scheduled somebody else for homecoming.

KW, I am normally a fan of your posts and I like this one, except a small detail that may classify me as thinned skin. Your BA disclaimer/exception from storied history ("except BA..."pretty good"). It is your opinion and I know it is a fact based opinion, so I wanted to present some relevant facts that will come across as bragging, but I would like to try and sway your opinion:

Brentwood Academy: Highest winning percentage since 1970, 384-78-3 since varsity play started over 37 years ago (not the least number of wins out of the Super 7 despite "short existence"), Since playoff system, one of 4 teams in the Super 7 to win state championships when all teams were combined, one of 3 teams to win at the highest classification.

If it wasn't for www.hsfdatabase.com (Thanks RRR), I would have just let you hurt my feelings /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

KW, I am normally a fan of your posts and I like this one, except a small detail that may classify me as thinned skin. Your BA disclaimer/exception from storied history ("except BA..."pretty good"). It is your opinion and I know it is a fact based opinion, so I wanted to present some relevant facts that will come across as bragging, but I would like to try and sway your opinion:

Brentwood Academy: Highest winning percentage since 1970, 384-78-3 since varsity play started over 37 years ago (not the least number of wins out of the Super 7 despite "short existence"), Since playoff system, one of 4 teams in the Super 7 to win state championships when all teams were combined, one of 3 teams to win at the highest classification.

If it wasn't for www.hsfdatabase.com (Thanks RRR), I would have just let you hurt my feelings /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

One of the problems with a message board is that facetiousness doesn't always come across well...as in this case. I have the higest regard for BA and their record, and I was a great fan of Carlton Flatt (and I take every opportunity I can to point out that he was from Cumberland, my dad's alma mater, and the place where I saw my first football game). I apologize if I appeared to slight BA.

Trust me, the whole line would have come across a lot better in a pub over several pints of Bass Ale.

I've heard enough of EHS's backs. They are absurdly overrated against teams who cant stop a run if they put 11 in the box. They are good, but doesn't everyone have good backs these days? They're line is just not big enough to compete in super 7 football. Good coaching rids teams of going 1 dimensional. I'd like to see EHS's QB beating McCallie in the air.

McCallie takes this one.

McCallie - 31

EHS - 7

Ensworth is playing teams of a much lower caliber of Super Seven teams. The only Super 7 teams they have on their scheduele are McCallie, MBA, and Father Ryan, which Ensworth will probably lose to all 3, but could probably beat everyone else, maybe BGA. They wont get far in the playoffs, not yet, maybe later.

McCallie is coming off of a very shocking loss to an alright Father Ryan team.McCallie should have blown them up, but there were just to many mental mistakes on both sides, and Father Ryan happen to come out on top. With that McCallie will be looking to build back thier convidence with a win over Ensworth. If McCallie plays thier game and limits the number of turnovers I see them coming out on top~ /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Nobody manages the game like Harrison Ballard for QB at EHS...and with weapons like Trent Wallace and Tavarris 'Beast Mode' Jefferson on offense and John Darwin and Blake Crozier on defense....EHS has a shot at this one. Especially since it is at Ensworth and I doubt a lot of McCallie will make it up to the game....

I think there are a couple of qbs who manage better than ballard and as far as qb skills, ballard is nowhere near the top. the only thing that makes ballard even noteworthy is the athletes he has around him. Trent Wallace is freaking tall but skinny and slow and unathletic