Reclassifications in 2009 in 4A and 5A statewide

tricitiessportsfan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tricitiessportsfan @ Oct 3 2007 - 10:31 AM)

I've heard that Greeneville, Elizbethton, and Sullivan North are well below 4A numbers, but playing up for various and differing reasons.

Also Johnson County and Unicoi County are well below 4A and playing up, so about half of the 4A District 1 is 3A size playing up to keep from traveling of course these 5 teams could start a 3A conference and teams like Happy Valley , South Greene and Hampton may play up to 3A and that would eleminate travel....

Here's another factor to throw in there.

If indeed the TSSAA goes to a full public/private split, which is a distinct possibility, would there be any chance of the T$$AA going to four classes accross the board? That's another 28-30 schools out, putting the total number of D-1 tems right around 300. About 75 teams per class, plus would make for a lot less travel for a bunch of teams. With the new 2A playoff format, you could go 10 regions of 7 or 8 teams per class statewide and seed the 5 eastern region teams and the 5 western regions teams.

Worth considering anyway.

This is the way it is going. Ronnie Carter wanted it the last time but needed more time to bring it in. The 2A experiment with 9 regions is a view of the future of TSSAA. Look for 10 regions with smaller numbers of teams making up those regions and also the Saturday Morning Playoff Seeding show on a tv set near you. Ronnie has said this numerous times in interviews of this being the plan for the future. With 10 regions the top 2 teams will be in thus leaving 12 spots for the other qualifiers. Strength of Schedule as well as overall and region records will be the determinig factors. Look for a school in a 6 team region who goes 2-8 and another school in an 8 team region who goes 5-5. In the current system the 2-8 team makes it in but the 5-5 team may not. This will create better playoff matchups going to the new format. Like it or not look for this to be what TSSAA goes to or something like it.

Guest Advisor

Tennessee is such a small state population wise I wish it would go back to the old A AA AAA days. At least that way winning a state championship would actually mean something. I have to admit I think it takes some of the luster off a BA title when the entire classification only had 10 teams. Heck, there used to be regions that large or larger. And while we are at it how about only letting the top two teams from each region make the playoffs like the old days, I am sick and tired of seing a 2-8 team make the playoffs each year. How about we quit keeping score and give everybody trophies while were at it.

THe ADVISOR agrees with BAVol completely!! The A AA & AAA days were the good times!! Everyone wants a trophy! It ain't fair!! Boy...........don't we hear that enough!!! The first year of 5A football, we at Henry County competed in Region 6-5A! In that region were several strong public schools as well as MBA! The Patriots won the Region even beating the Big Red! I'm not against the privates playing with the publics as long as they play 4A or 5A. If it goes to a complete public/private split...........we should surely go back to the A AA and AAA days!!! Great Post BAVOl!!!!

Everyone, here is the .pdf file with classifications for all sports for the 2005-2009 classification cycle. Enjoy.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/classification.pdf

Wow...the lowest 3A school is at 667. JCM which is now in 4A could possibly be moving to 2A next time. Could be in the same region with USJ and JCS. Wouldn`t that be something.

Mount Juliet is indeed moving up as well as building a new highschool. Station Camp is moving up as well possibly to 5-A to compete with Hendersonville and Gallatin. Beech is on the bubble but could elect to go up to 5-A as well as Portland to make a Sumner/Wilson County 5-A region. At least that is what I am hearing.

what if white house would move to 5a

you would have a region like this

white house

beech

portland

gallatin

hendersonville

station camp

mt juliet

lebanon

wilson central

what a region that would be

Classifications should definitely be looked at.......there is no way a school with 1350 students should be paired against an indefinite number (2300 or more) That's ALOT of atheletic potential in the "mix".Just curious, where did you get the Maryville numbers? I think they are WAY above that # for enrollment.

Two largest schools in Tennessee (McGavock & Antioch @ 2500+), don't seem to have an advantage despite the numbers. Ravenwood won 5A in 2005 with a number around 1184 students but was playing up in 5A knowing the population was going to go up in the next couple of years. Current population is around 1400.

Two largest schools in Tennessee (McGavock & Antioch @ 2500+), don't seem to have an advantage despite the numbers. Ravenwood won 5A in 2005 with a number around 1184 students but was playing up in 5A knowing the population was going to go up in the next couple of years. Current population is around 1400.

Point taken. Maybe it's just getting those "cornbread fed" boys! haha It just seems to make logical sense, maybe not though. With Ravenwood at that number, are they still one of the smaller 5A schools?