SP Pirates and Whitwell Tigers

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear to me OP feels as most SP people that the whitwell fans set back and did nothing and still got a new school and began to bash the proposed building project @ SP. That teacher/coach/assist.principal went way over the line when he sent letters and offered to add points to grades. A copy of that document was and still is floating around.

I don't think OP was tacky or thuggish with his remarks. SamHain, never think that what happens between communities does not have anything to do with the boys playing football/basketball/baseball or marbles.

I do agree with OP. OP,we need to talk about the old times,perhaps we can intice Dunwoody to give his views.

I stand by my opinion that the main concern was the final figures coming in for the gym project were way over initial estimates, whereas other county building projects were within initial bid estimates. Why should the other projects be cut back just to fund a gym which would cost way above the initial approved estimate? The situation has strained my relations with some back home, but I have thought much about the whole thing since it began. I hope OP and Batman sleep soundly after the game Friday. Perhaps a dominating Pirate victory will somehow make all things right in the world for them and leave them with some sense of vidication. I'm done here.

Now back to football. I want to give a shout out to zonepirate. Hey, Zoney, if last Saturday's little league game is any indication, you've got a heck of an athelete headed your way soon. No. 1 for the Pirate 11-12 yr. olds (Lankford?) looks like he could play for you in Jr. High right now. He made a huge contribution to the Pirate victory over the Wolfpack c-team.

I stand by my opinion that the main concern was the final figures coming in for the gym project were way over initial estimates, whereas other county building projects were within initial bid estimates. Why should the other projects be cut back just to fund a gym which would cost way above the initial approved estimate? The situation has strained my relations with some back home, but I have thought much about the whole thing since it began. I hope OP and Batman sleep soundly after the game Friday. Perhaps a dominating Pirate victory will somehow make all things right in the world for them and leave them with some sense of vidication. I'm done here.

Now back to football. I want to give a shout out to zonepirate. Hey, Zoney, if last Saturday's little league game is any indication, you've got a heck of an athelete headed your way soon. No. 1 for the Pirate 11-12 yr. olds (Lankford?) looks like he could play for you in Jr. High right now. He made a huge contribution to the Pirate victory over the Wolfpack c-team.

Old Pirate says old alum you continue to show your lack of the facts regarding the building projects. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE asked for or exspected "other" projects be cut back just to fund a gym,lets repeat this, it was NOT just a gym. OP suggests you get the facts before you start making uninformed statements.

OP says everyone has there reasons for fueling rivalries. EXAMPLE: Tenn folks tend to hate Alabama because of years of the Tide whipping the vols and as we "ALL" know that happened regularly in the day. Tenn fans still hate Ala and "THE ALA KIDS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT ". OP wonders......... has SamHain never wanted his team to whip another opponant for similar reasons.........? Well, perhaps you may feel that way after the game friday.

OP does not wish bad things for any kid/player.

OP says old alum come down from that petistal you're currently perched on.

The reality is whitwell's bad mouthing has fueled this county rivalry. OP is rather sure every athete has seen bulletin board material that is used as amunition for an up coming game.

OP says,perhaps it will be over quickly. Suggests whitwell start subbing early, the SP coaches would see this and send subs in as well.

We are looking forward to having him on the Jr High Team. He is quite an athlete and could get a lot of playing time now. There are several other pretty good athletes who will contribute next year too. I know one of the Wolfpack kids is going to Baylor next year but I had heard several more might be going to Silverdale. You hear anything on this? It would sure hurt the programs at Jasper and Whitwell to have these athletes go to private schools

NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE asked for or exspected "other" projects be cut back just to fund a gym,lets repeat this, it was NOT just a gym.

OP, I was told by school staff that things were cut out of the proposed school project to accomodate the revamped county budget. Ms. Hooper cut an already "cost conscious" plan down even more to help meet the county budget, which wasn't in jeopardy until the "gym/coaches office/building trades class/etc." project was found to cost much more than initially proposed. No hard feelings, OP. I'm just looking at it from both perspectives, when so many from sp didn't want to acknowledge the problem created by getting an initial bid, tearing down old gym, finding out intial bid was way off from actual cost... uh oh. I am on no pedestal, I have heard bad mouthing from BOTH SIDES since the whole ordeal began. Just like with anything, there are bad apples on both sides of the issue. Have a good day, OP.

We are looking forward to having him on the Jr High Team. He is quite an athlete and could get a lot of playing time now. There are several other pretty good athletes who will contribute next year too. I know one of the Wolfpack kids is going to Baylor next year but I had heard several more might be going to Silverdale. You hear anything on this? It would sure hurt the programs at Jasper and Whitwell to have these athletes go to private schools

I have heard about one on C-team going to Baylor, but I don't know about any going to Silverdale. My son plays on B-team, so if some on C-team are leaving, I may not have heard of it yet. I agree, it will hurt our programs at Whitwell and Jasper. I wish that more talented kids would stay here in the valley instead of heading for private schools. Good luck against Jasper this week, ZP.

Thanks. This year's Jasper team is way down so our young guys should play a lot

A quick note on the Gym background - It's not the quibbling about the difference in cost, etc that caused such heartburn in SP but the lenghts some Whitwell folks (incl principals, teachers and coaches) went to try to kill the project when they already had a very nice school that was going to be built (and they needed). When the board first voted to turn down the gym Whitwell people (again incl teachers, coaches, principal, etc) actually got up and cheered at the board meeting. Even the Jasper people didn't do all of this and they were getting a lot less than Whitwell. Whitwell people on the school board were also the ones leading the charge to get it killed. I never could understand the Whitwell attitude about it. To the Whitwell folks it wasn't about being in budget, it was about keeping SP from getting a nice gym/shop building if they could. I saw it first hand.

OP, I was told by school staff that things were cut out of the proposed school project to accomodate the revamped county budget. Ms. Hooper cut an already "cost conscious" plan down even more to help meet the county budget, which wasn't in jeopardy until the "gym/coaches office/building trades class/etc." project was found to cost much more than initially proposed. No hard feelings, OP. I'm just looking at it from both perspectives, when so many from sp didn't want to acknowledge the problem created by getting an initial bid, tearing down old gym, finding out intial bid was way off from actual cost... uh oh. I am on no pedestal, I have heard bad mouthing from BOTH SIDES since the whole ordeal began. Just like with anything, there are bad apples on both sides of the issue. Have a good day, OP.

I have heard about one on C-team going to Baylor, but I don't know about any going to Silverdale. My son plays on B-team, so if some on C-team are leaving, I may not have heard of it yet. I agree, it will hurt our programs at Whitwell and Jasper. I wish that more talented kids would stay here in the valley instead of heading for private schools. Good luck against Jasper this week, ZP.

Well, I would like to add some info here. The school board received prospective bid proposals from arch/firm on all the building projects. 2 came in over budget, the SP gym was far over. The SP project was then sent to another contractor which cut it by nearly 1 million. I have yet understand why all 3 were not re-bid. It stands to reason if another contractor could save that much on the SP build then they probably could save on the other 2 projects.

The whitwell project reportedly had individual restrooms removed from every class room. I have never-ever seen a school that had restrooms in every class room. The 1 thing that separates the two communities in this dispute is the fact that SP never asked for, sent letters home requesting, or went to the county meeting demanding Whitwell cut their project. I have family in whitwell and I'm quite sure more than SamHain.

I witnessed the 11-12 little league game saturday. SP certainly is small in numbers. I was very impressed with 1 RB for No. Marion and the Landford kid for SP.

Thanks. This year's Jasper team is way down so our young guys should play a lot

A quick note on the Gym background - It's not the quibbling about the difference in cost, etc that caused such heartburn in SP but the lenghts some Whitwell folks (incl principals, teachers and coaches) went to try to kill the project when they already had a very nice school that was going to be built (and they needed). When the board first voted to turn down the gym Whitwell people (again incl teachers, coaches, principal, etc) actually got up and cheered at the board meeting. Even the Jasper people didn't do all of this and they were getting a lot less than Whitwell. Whitwell people on the school board were also the ones leading the charge to get it killed. I never could understand the Whitwell attitude about it. To the Whitwell folks it wasn't about being in budget, it was about keeping SP from getting a nice gym/shop building if they could. I saw it first hand.

Old Pirate says Zone, I think we are wasting our breath regarding the gym issue. Obviously way too many people out of the loop with the facts, most relied on hear say.

Old Pirate says Zone, I think we are wasting our breath regarding the gym issue. Obviously way too many people out of the loop with the facts, most relied on hear say.

Hey OP we all no that south pittsburg is going to win this side of single A but for the other side who is the top teams over there. And how do they look? Just wondering.

I thought about going to this game, but I honestly don't care anything about seeing a massacre. I think 6 bucks would be much more well spent going to a movie or something. I have seen both teams play in person this season. Trust me on this one. Don't waste the time or money to go see this game on Friday. Go to another game like I am doing or just go to dinner and a movie. It will be much more enjoyable. I have a feeling the Whitwell side of the field will look alot like the circus is in town.

I thought about going to this game, but I honestly don't care anything about seeing a massacre. I think 6 bucks would be much more well spent going to a movie or something. I have seen both teams play in person this season. Trust me on this one. Don't waste the time or money to go see this game on Friday. Go to another game like I am doing or just go to dinner and a movie. It will be much more enjoyable. I have a feeling the Whitwell side of the field will look alot like the circus is in town.

Old Pirate says..... Legend, the SP coaches and players HOPE all of the whitwell supporters show up for this game for the gate and to witness what they fueled. SO.............. don't tell them NOT to come.