SP Pirates and Whitwell Tigers

OLD PIRATE

If any of the studs get hurt when you are up by several points who are you going to whine to?

I believe Coach Grider understands that beating Whitwell by 50 is not going to help him down the road with Gordonsville, Trousdale, Friendship Christian etc. If any of those studs get hurt SP might not be there come December.

Old Pirate says they'll be no whining here....................................... injuries are just part of the game. If it is meant to be then it's meant to be. You can't play the game worried about all the what ifs. "LET IT ROLL"

OP does appreciate Bill#49 acknowledging SP may have some studs? This is a game that needs to make a statement. OP says the jr. high team put a "whipping" on the tigers as well that resulted in crying from fans and coaches. OP regrets it wasn't worse.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I have seen WhitWell play was in the Sequatchie Valley Jamboree. From what I saw last Friday against Tyner, I would say WhitWell may be in really bad trouble in this one. South Pittsburg's Living Legend that walks the sidelines may not have alot of mercy according to earlier posts in this thread. I really think that he will make WhitWell bow down in a very big way at Phillip Beene Stadium next Friday.

I hate to barg in on a topic but Im new to all this. I attended the South Pitt - Tyner game friday night ( and what a game) and I just wanted to say thank you to the fans at South Pitt. You all made us feel welcome, and were extremely gracious. Again thank you, and yes I hope we do meet later in the year. Good luck.

84 Tiger

Glad you guys could make it to the game. I think a meeting later in the year is a distinct possibility. Good luck to G'ville

First of all, I want to say that in the few times that I have witnessed SP play, the coaches seem first class. They are obvioulsy doing a great job with the team and I am sure and have seen where they could have run the score up on many teams and haven't.

I hope the coaches continue to be first class IF given the opportunity to run up the score or Embarrass any team (including Whitwell). What good does it do to try to punish STUDENTS who have done nothing in the given situation??? What would the coaches be teaching our athletes??? What will it accomplish??? Will that make YOU feel better??? If so, it says a lot about you. I don't know the details of the situation but it seems to have nothing to do with football. I believe the coaches at South Pitt ARE first class and will do the right thing. As someone has already mentioned it wouldn't be smart to risk your starters getting injured over a community issue.

Old Pirate says The Red Baron2 has some valid concerns? OP has said "unfortunately" the kids will pay a price. With that said, OP says you need to know details before you attempt to pass judgement on anyone. Believe OP there are more than the ones mentioned in previous post. SP has always shown class and OP fully exspects nothing less,but hopefully SP will have 40 by the half. Don't think the SP fans/players will have sympathy for the tigers this.... year..

According to these posts on this thread, it seems like WhitWell is begging for mercy in this one. I think I know one way WhitWell may get the mercy they are asking for. If WhitWell's coach would go out to the 50 yard line during pregame warmups and bow down to South Pittsburg's legend coach, he could give mercy to WhitWell. Otherwise I get the feeling he may not care how much he scores. It sounds like OldPirate has some good insight on what too expect. WhitWell's coach bowing down may not even save them in this one, but if it will I think I would get to bowing if I was him.

According to these posts on this thread, it seems like WhitWell is begging for mercy in this one. I think I know one way WhitWell may get the mercy they are asking for. If WhitWell's coach would go out to the 50 yard line during pregame warmups and bow down to South Pittsburg's legend coach, he could give mercy to WhitWell. Otherwise I get the feeling he may not care how much he scores. It sounds like OldPirate has some good insight on what too expect. WhitWell's coach bowing down may not even save them in this one, but if it will I think I would get to bowing if I was him.

Did you see me at the SP/Tyner game legand? I was wearing the GV hat. I will also be wearing it at the GV/TC game if you come. This time you have to wear something I can recognize. I think folks thought maybe I was there to rob a bank with the GV hat on. Simular to last week in KY when a robber wore a GV tiger shirt to rob the bank. I guess maybe they didnt think I had the nerve to wear the hat. I got some good stares, but they were all cool with it. Zone has pictures with Us standing on the P in the new weight room. Check them out. Zone even bought me a SP shirt to wear next time I visit on a bye week of coarse. Yet you didnt come up to say hey? Shoot, I didnt make you mad did I?

Old Pirate says The Red Baron2 has some valid concerns? OP has said "unfortunately" the kids will pay a price. With that said, OP says you need to know details before you attempt to pass judgement on anyone. Believe OP there are more than the ones mentioned in previous post. SP has always shown class and OP fully exspects nothing less,but hopefully SP will have 40 by the half. Don't think the SP fans/players will have sympathy for the tigers this.... year..

OP, I understand your concern over the gym issue, however (I say this as an SP alumni), a mega-gym worthy of a small college is unnecessary. Remember that the proposed gym would cost over half of the money that it is taking to build a whole school (gym included) at Whitwell. There was never any doubt that a new gym was needed (that thing was in bad shape when I was in school). Now back to the topic. The Pirates are without a doubt one of the best, if not the best team in 1A (maybe 2A and 3A). I am glad to see them doing so well. Whitwell has some young kids and they are adapting to a new coach. They played a good game last Friday, even though they lost to MC. The Pirates simply have much more speed and skilled players this year. I don't think anyone will question who has the better team this year, but bringing up thuggish remarks about the gym/school funding shows a lack of class on your part. OP should keep pulling for the Pirates on their way to the playoffs, but leave off the tacky remarks that don't have anything to do with the boys playing football. Stuff like that kind of makes me glad that I'll be heading for the visiting side of Beene stadium this year. I'll support the Tigers in their games (win or lose) and I'll still pull for the Pirates to make a good run through the playoffs this year. Show the class you claim to have.

(The opinions stated above belong to SamHain and in no way are meant to be interpreted as anything else.)

OP, I understand your concern over the gym issue, however (I say this as an SP alumni), a mega-gym worthy of a small college is unnecessary. Remember that the proposed gym would cost over half of the money that it is taking to build a whole school (gym included) at Whitwell. Now back to the topic. The Pirates are without a doubt one of the best, if not the best team in 1A (maybe 2A and 3A). I am glad to see them doing so well. Whitwell has some young kids and they are adapting to a new coach. They played a good game last Friday, even though they lost to MC. The Pirates simply have much more speed and skilled players this year. I don't think anyone will question who has the better team this year, but bringing up thuggish remarks about the gym/school funding shows a lack of class on your part. OP should keep pulling for the Pirates on their way to the playoffs, but leave off the tacky remarks that don't have anything to do with the boys playing football. Stuff like that kind of makes me glad that I'll be heading for the visiting side of Beene stadium this year. I'll support the Tigers in their games (win or lose) and I'll still pull for the Pirates to make a good run through the playoffs this year. Show the class you claim to have.

Old Pirate says a SP alumni or not you obviously did not see the plans. The build is NOT a gym alone, the addition includes the gym AND several class rooms,offices,shop and the remodel of the current entrance. A huge amount of the cost is caused by the layout of the existing ground and retainer walls and etc. The gym does include a large court that can be divided for 2 individual team practices. Remember old alum SPHS houses a jr high who has to have a court to practice as well as the varsity. SP's jr high basketball has struggled for years with practices/games being limited due to the high school's schedules. OP does not see that Whitwell fans have anything to complain about. They have far more than SP and that is w/o the tax base and the locals showing enough interest to go vote for something that will help their kids. OP says history repeats itself, sorry if it offends but Whitwell continues to ride the coat tails of the rest of the valley. SP AND JASPER have made substantial up grades in their facilities, while whitwell sits around complaining about what they don't have.

OP says simply, quit the crying and when the next opportunity comes your way, show......... enough....... interest to vote & support something that will obviously help your school/community.

OP says "LET.......ER ROLL....................... bet the farm, it won't.................... be............... pretty.....................