01' Cloudland Vs. 06 Hampton

ENHWasps

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion last years Hampton team is just a tad better than this years Hampton team. More weapons. Anyway how do you think they wouldve sized up against the likes of Byrd and his crew? Just a fun thought.

I think it would be a good game but Hampton from 01 almost beat that team at hampton if you will remember it was a tight game to the end so I definately think 06 HAMPTON just has too many weapons and can run and pass as well as stop the run pretty well I know byrd and company were awsome but I don't think they could get it done in this one!

I think it would be a good game but Hampton from 01 almost beat that team at hampton if you will remember it was a tight game to the end so I definately think 06 HAMPTON just has too many weapons and can run and pass as well as stop the run pretty well I know byrd and company were awsome but I don't think they could get it done in this one!

We can have this discussion AFTER Hampton reaches the Championship game.

We can have this discussion AFTER Hampton reaches the Championship game.

That' great but that's not what the post is about no question that was a great run and a great team but this is specifically these two teams and I think 06 Hampton has the edge because they not only had all the backs and recivers that this yers team has but they also had townsend and lyons oliver etc. they were just loaded.

That' great but that's not what the post is about no question that was a great run and a great team but this is specifically these two teams and I think 06 Hampton has the edge because they not only had all the backs and recivers that this yers team has but they also had townsend and lyons oliver etc. they were just loaded.

Yea your right There was absolutly no talent on that Lander team! Besides that was the '02 team that was at Hampton. In '01 it was a blowout up here. J.C. was mad @ Mike for KNEELING on the ball on the 5 yd. line at the end of that one.We won all 4 rounds by 30 pts that year. Then we happened upon that Jr colledge bunch from Ezell, Now that was the BEST highschool team I have seen. We were dominant but they were something else entirely.

Yea your right There was absolutly no talent on that Lander team! Besides that was the '02 team that was at Hampton. In '01 it was a blowout up here. J.C. was mad @ Mike for KNEELING on the ball on the 5 yd. line at the end of that one.We won all 4 rounds by 30 pts that year. Then we happened upon that Jr colledge bunch from Ezell, Now that was the BEST highschool team I have seen. We were dominant but they were something else entirely.

dont get me wrong mark byrd team was great but everyone on the 06 hampton team was great at there pos and they just did not have one player ...... but hamptons team in 05 is the best i think.... with martin winters, jon potter, jon price, donny davis, matt, lucas, brandon barnett that team was the stacked team........... if that team would have been one year younger they would have killed FC in the forth round but i have to addmit that they could never have beat TC that year.......

dont get me wrong mark byrd team was great but everyone on the 06 hampton team was great at there pos and they just did not have one player ...... but hamptons team in 05 is the best i think.... with martin winters, jon potter, jon price, donny davis, matt, lucas, brandon barnett that team was the stacked team........... if that team would have been one year younger they would have killed FC in the forth round but i have to addmit that they could never have beat TC that year.......

I like hampton and have come to respect their posters as really good people and their program as the cream of the current crop out of east tennessee, but the fact remains, east tennessee in 1A has done nothing, and i mean nothing to prove that they can beat teams from middle and west.

Mark was not the only thing we had. Farthest thing from the truth. Opinions vary, too bad we will never know. They both kicked the $%@# out of ENHtrouble starters teams at Cosby though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This not even a serious question. 01 Cloudland ran roughshod over everyone they played that year until the state championship including something like a 46-0 rout of South Pitt in the 4th round. They had the best player that I have ever seen in Mark Byrd. They were just good at the wrong time when they went up against Ezell. Ezell's QB, Shelley, went to MTSU and their WR, Erik Davis, went to Vanderbilt and led the SEC in recieving in 2004 or 2005. Cloudland was absolutely loaded on that team with the best offensive that may have ever been around here in the "Beefy Boys" and had to EVENTUAL mr football award winners in LB Dane Christman and Mark Byrd. I have never seen a team since them put up points like they did. It was really something to watch. They also played a very tough Cherokee $A team and 2A South Greene team. They had a much tougher road than 06 Hampton because there was 2 or 3 times as many private schools in 1A in 01 than last year. A real question would be something like "01 Cloudland vs. 96 Hampton" or "01 Cloudland vs. 2005 Trousdale." Out of all the teams previously mentioned by others and somementioned by me, here's how I would rank them...

1. 01' Ezell-Harding: no-brainer...

2. 96' Hampton: line was excellent, 2 mr football finalists in steve tolley and bj taylor, beat Alcoa and Notre Dame in the first two rounds of the playoffs and outgained the eventual state champion Knox Webb by almost 300 total yards in the 3rd round AT knox webb but lost in a very close game, also beat a very good cloudland team that went to the 3rd round in 1A that year, this year they did it in 2A...

3. 01' Cloudland: for reasons stated in the above paragraph...

4. 05' Trousdale Co.: very solid team, by far the best team that year, just don't think they could hang with byrd or bj taylor...

(Now for 5,6,and 7 which are the Hampton teams of the past 3 years. Me and 3 or 4 of my friends have actually discussed all of these teams in great detail. ALL of us think that 96 Hampton and 01 Cloudland teams are better but the debate between those two teams is still going on. Anyways here is the way that we thought the Hampton teams of the past 3 years lay out. and i am calculating a healthy adam townsend into the equation because without him, there really is no comparison)

5. 06' Hampton- played a better Johnson Co. team than the 05 Hampton team and without 5 TO's would have beaten them and maybe handily, played much better Cosby and Unaka teams, Lunsford was much improved in 06, the offense was way more explosive with townsend much improved, johnathon lyons actually playing the whole year without being hurt gave them the best WR probably in school history and maybe the best DB in school history, so by that the corners and safety's were better in 06, him and lunsford gave hampton another dimension that we have never had up until that point...

6. 05 Hampton- really pretty much solely on townsend for offensive scoring, the defense was probably better but only because of the great linebackers of winters and potter. the line is about even in my opinion because of the progression of roop...

7. 07 Hampton- very well rounded team, have a much harder schedule than either of the previous hampton teams, very quick on defense and may have the best defense of the past 3 hampton teams, not nearly as explosive on offense as either team though, may end up being the better team, only time will tell...

This not even a serious question. 01 Cloudland ran roughshod over everyone they played that year until the state championship including something like a 46-0 rout of South Pitt in the 4th round. They had the best player that I have ever seen in Mark Byrd. They were just good at the wrong time when they went up against Ezell. Ezell's QB, Shelley, went to MTSU and their WR, Erik Davis, went to Vanderbilt and led the SEC in recieving in 2004 or 2005. Cloudland was absolutely loaded on that team with the best offensive that may have ever been around here in the "Beefy Boys" and had to EVENTUAL mr football award winners in LB Dane Christman and Mark Byrd. I have never seen a team since them put up points like they did. It was really something to watch. They had a much tougher road than 06 Hampton because there was 2 or 3 times as many private schools in 1A in 01 than last year. A real question would be something like "01 Cloudland vs. 96 Hampton" or "01 Cloudland vs. 2005 Trousdale." Out of all the teams previously mentioned by others and somementioned by me, here's how I would rank them...

1. 01' Ezell-Harding: no-brainer...

2. 96' Hampton: line was excellent, 2 mr football finalists in steve tolley and bj taylor, beat Alcoa and Notre Dame in the first two rounds of the playoffs and outgained the eventual state champion Knox Webb by almost 300 total yards in the 3rd round AT knox webb but lost in a very close game, also beat a very good cloudland team that went to the 3rd round in 1A that year, this year they did it in 2A...

3. 01' Cloudland: for reasons stated in the above paragraph...

4. 05' Trousdale Co.: very solid team, by far the best team that year, just don't think they could hang with byrd or bj taylor...

(Now for 5,6,and 7 which are the Hampton teams of the past 3 years. Me and 3 or 4 of my friends have actually discussed all of these teams in great detail. ALL of us think that 96 Hampton and 01 Cloudland teams are better but the debate between those two teams is still going on. Anyways here is the way that we thought the Hampton teams of the past 3 years lay out. and i am calculating a healthy adam townsend into the equation because without him, there really is no comparison)

5. 06' Hampton- played a better Johnson Co. team than the 05 Hampton team and without 5 TO's would have beaten them and maybe handily, Lunsford was much improved in 06, the offense was way more explosive with townsend much improved, johnathon lyons actually playing the whole year without being hurt gave them the best WR probably in school history and maybe the best DB in school history, so by that the corners and safety's were better in 06, him and lunsford gave hampton another dimension that we have never had up until that point...

6. 05 Hampton- really pretty much solely on townsend for offensive scoring, the defense was probably better but only because of the great linebackers of winters and potter. the line is about even in my opinion because of the progression of roop...

7. 07 Hampton- very well rounded team, very quick on defense and may have the best defense of the past 3 hampton teams, not nearly as explosive on offense as either team though, may end up being the better team, only time will tell...

You make good points I'm definately not saying that that cloudland didn't have weapons because obviously they did but they were very limitied to the run game which is what eventually got them beat but you are right that ezell team was just unbelieveable they could probably have won state in any of the divisions that year.I just believe that the recent teams from Hampton are more rounded on offense and they could have some of those gaudy scores but JC won't allow it there's no reason to humiliate these high school kids the coaches in all sports at hampton would always tell us "we'll have to play them again sometime boys".

You make good points I'm definately not saying that that cloudland didn't have weapons because obviously they did but they were very limitied to the run game which is what eventually got them beat but you are right that ezell team was just unbelieveable they could probably have won state in any of the divisions that year.I just believe that the recent teams from Hampton are more rounded on offense and they could have some of those gaudy scores but JC won't allow it there's no reason to humiliate these high school kids the coaches in all sports at hampton would always tell us "we'll have to play them again sometime boys".

they were actually not very limited to the running game. they just did it cuz no one could stop it. byrd could throw the ball alot farther than lunsford probably more acurately. even ezell never consistently stopped cloudland's running game cuz cloudland scored 30 against them. the only problem was ezell scored 60...