Jefferson County @ Science Hill

FTBMAN

Have any other JC fans noticed that for the most part our DE's have been MIA? I`m not sure why but it seems like any time a big play is made on defense its by one of the DT's or a LB. I think that push around the edge is something that will we need against S.Hill who I`ve heard runs almost exclusively out of the 4WR shotgun set.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has the SH QB performed this year. From what I've seen the offense either throws it 30 times or less than 10. Is that accurate?

You should have said "SH QB's". Sharp (generally a pocket passer) has been less than steller and Hill (usually the run and gun type, but as of late Gilligan has attempted to make him somewhat of a pocket passer) is best when running a draw or option out of the shot gun set. With the receivers they have they should be lighting up the scoreboard but the QB's all year, save maybe the Sevier County game where the defense scored twice, have been unable to consistantly get them the ball. I'll give you the links to their post game articles. The games they've lost the offense looked confused or maybe Gilligan was trying to hard to make something happen. Bearden exposed some weaknesses.

Coach Smith to Simplify Toppers Offense Again

Knox Bearden 21 Science Hill 7

Tennessee High 16 Science Hill 10

Science Hill 42 Sevier County 21

Toppers Still Developing Under Coach Smith

Science Hill 21 Morristown West 0

Science Hill 28 Elizabethton 7

Coach Smith to Simplify Offense After Opening Loss

Sullivan South 27 Science Hill 7

You should have said "SH QB's". Sharp (generally a pocket passer) has been less than steller and Hill (usually the run and gun type, but as of late Gilligan has attempted to make him somewhat of a pocket passer) is best when running a draw or option out of the shot gun set. With the receivers they have they should be lighting up the scoreboard but the QB's all year, save maybe the Sevier County game where the defense scored twice, have been unable to consistantly get them the ball. I'll give you the links to their post game articles. The games they've lost the offense looked confused or maybe Gilligan was trying to hard to make something happen. Bearden exposed some weaknesses.

Coach Smith to Simplify Toppers Offense Again

Knox Bearden 21 Science Hill 7

Tennessee High 16 Science Hill 10

Science Hill 42 Sevier County 21

Toppers Still Developing Under Coach Smith

Science Hill 21 Morristown West 0

Science Hill 28 Elizabethton 7

Coach Smith to Simplify Offense After Opening Loss

Sullivan South 27 Science Hill 7

I believe QB is correct since Hill has only attempted 10 passes all year with 5 coming in the last game and 4 coming in the second game of the season.

What is the background of your coach. Where did he play? I read an article after the South game that sounded very familiar. He sounds like a guy that never played much but has become a student of the game .....and he cannot teach....so he blames the players for not being able to execute his elaborate schemes. How do the SH fans feel about this guy and why do you call him Gilligan?

Have any other JC fans noticed that for the most part our DE's have been MIA? I`m not sure why but it seems like any time a big play is made on defense its by one of the DT's or a LB. I think that push around the edge is something that will we need against S.Hill who I`ve heard runs almost exclusively out of the 4WR shotgun set.

I agree. We used to mix up the coverages at the beginning of the year. Sometimes the corners would press and then back off. Now we just sit back and keep everything is front. Combine this with extremely poor tackling and it doesn't work. I agree with a previous post in that McFall needs to be involved in the defense. He started as a freshman and soph and how he hardly sees the field on defense. That is ok if we were doing better on defense but it appears that most teams have had season high passing yds against us. I can tolerate losing but not when our best athletes are standing on the sideline. I'm surprised Coach Anderson and McCash haven't made any changes. One corner is particular has missed 6+ tackles a game.

I believe QB is correct since Hill has only attempted 10 passes all year with 5 coming in the last game and 4 coming in the second game of the season.

A quarterback is not defined by how many passes they throw or complete. A player is designated a quarterback if he lines up at the quarterback position. All the articles posted above mentions atleast something about Hill playing or not playing QB. I agree Sharp is the regular quarterback, but Hill has come in, especially in the game against Bearden, to run 1 or more series at the quarterback position. Passing and/or running out of the quarterback position is possible. If quarterback is not one of the many positions he plays then, then what would you call his position?

What happened to Adam Rickard? I haven't seen him do much this year?

A quarterback is not defined by how many passes they throw or complete. A player is designated a quarterback if he lines up at the quarterback position. All the articles posted above mentions atleast something about Hill playing or not playing QB. I agree Sharp is the regular quarterback, but Hill has come in, especially in the game against Bearden, to run 1 or more series at the quarterback position. Passing and/or running out of the quarterback position is possible. If quarterback is not one of the many positions he plays then, then what would you call his position?

I forgot who I was talking to, you know it. I'll just sit back an listen. I think when you talk about qb play in the offense that Science Hill runs and how the position is being played...you are talking about how the ball is being thrown. I do believe that you mentioned in that post about the the receivers not being able to show there talent because the ball hasn't been able to get into their hands, so which is it. Hill is the leading receiving on the team. I consider him a reciever/athlete since he has played corner, safety, receiver, quaterback and has lined up one play as running back. He did play two series at qb at Bearden. I was suprised NOT to see a call that would get him or Solomon to the edge but I don't get paid to coach.

I guess you must now be following Science Hill instead of your beloved db. You do a good job of trying to stir up things. Sharp is the qb of the team. He has been since spring pratice. Hill is used as a change of pace. I think the question was about THE quarterback of the team and your response painted a inaccurate picture. I believe that reporter of the article tries to keep some type of competition for the postion that is not true.

I forgot who I was talking to, you know it. I'll just sit back an listen. I think when you talk about qb play in the offense that Science Hill runs and how the position is being played...you are talking about how the ball is being thrown. I do believe that you mentioned in that post about the the receivers not being able to show there talent because the ball hasn't been able to get into their hands, so which is it. Hill is the leading receiving on the team. I consider him a reciever/athlete since he has played corner, safety, receiver, quaterback and has lined up one play as running back. He did play two series at qb at Bearden. I was suprised NOT to see a call that would get him or Solomon to the edge but I don't get paid to coach.

I guess you must now be following Science Hill instead of your beloved db. You do a good job of trying to stir up things. Sharp is the qb of the team. He has been since spring pratice. Hill is used as a change of pace. I think the question was about THE quarterback of the team and your response painted a inaccurate picture. I believe that reporter of the article tries to keep some type of competition for the postion that is not true.

You must be in a sarcastic mood topvol98. I love how non-verbal media's like messageboards, e-mail, instant messaging, and text messages make things go out of context. If it were an actual dialouge between the two of us I don't think you would take offense as much as you have over the past week or so. If you'll recall, I don't go out of my way to insult or degrad your opinions, I asked a question.

No, I haven't stopped backing my alma mater DB. I keep up with DB and SH sports as much as possible since I think they should be the two powerhouses in the area in all sports, which they usually are. I'll bow to you on this one since you are the more knowledgable one on Science Hill athletics, especially football at this point in time. I ask, however, that you not take offense to my comments and opinions. Just because I'm a DB fan doesn't mean I can't wonder and worry about the stability of our biggest rivals program.

You must be in a sarcastic mood topvol98. I love how non-verbal media's like messageboards, e-mail, instant messaging, and text messages make things go out of context. If it were an actual dialouge between the two of us I don't think you would take offense as much as you have over the past week or so. If you'll recall, I don't go out of my way to insult or degrad your opinions, I asked a question.

No, I haven't stopped backing my alma mater DB. I keep up with DB and SH sports as much as possible since I think they should be the two powerhouses in the area in all sports, which they usually are. I'll bow to you on this one since you are the more knowledgable one on Science Hill athletics, especially football at this point in time. I ask, however, that you not take offense to my comments and opinions. Just because I'm a DB fan doesn't mean I can't wonder and worry about the stability of our biggest rivals program.

To be honest with you, I have a sinus infection and I'm medicated and aggravated. I'm doing my best to try to keep my opnions about things to myself especially after friday night's disaster. I have my opnions about high school football in general andI think that the best coaches make a system that fits the parts. I also believe that with the limitations that high school football brings with time and talent you have to have a system and stick with it. If you saw any game besides last friday night, then you know that we ran a offense that has been totally different than any one saw at any point this season. I have a son that plays and this is his senior year. I have been watching these kids since the third grade, I hurt for them. Yes, it is easy to take things out of context. It would be nice to have some type of live chat so maybe things can get clarified and things don't seem so tense. I'm looking forward to this game because I really believe that what ails this team can be solved this week.