Gallatin at Overton

Verb58

tssaa reports that GHS dropped from 1403 to 1358(the minimum for 5A) from '04- to '06. By the time reclassification rolls around again that trend could have dropped Gallatin to around 1300. Station Camp keeps drawing a certain percentage away from GHS and there are other schools that are doing the same. Remember Davidson Academy will being breaking ground before too long. That will have an effect to one degree or another.

I've been on the "Gallatin is going downhill" soapbox for a while now and I know most of think I'm just a sourpuss, but the evidence is out there. The "pride" that used to be associated with the schools is all but gone.

Consider this-

The Gallatin class of 1997 was supposed to have their ten year reunion last Saturday. But, due to an EXTREME lack of interest, it had to be cancelled. http://ghs.sumnerschools.org/class%20of%201997cancelled.pdf.

I heard it was about the same last year. People are moving on and could care less what happens to the Green Wave.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallatin's current enrollment is 1410 according to Sumner County Board of Education. Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Beech all dropped numbers in enrollment when Station Camp and JPII opened. That is why you build new schools, to ease overcrowding. White House has dropped enrollment also. See White House-Heritage. What would the student body of GHS now have to do with a 10 year reunion. You are a 'doomsayer' for GHS. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, you can not speak for an entire community. For every person who believes what you are saying, I am sure their are others who disagree.

Did anyone know Matthews is zoned for Station Camp and is out of zone at Gallatin.

Didn't he play for Shafer?

The lines for redistricting students change all the time. Hence with the new developments going in around Station Camp look for a shift giving Hendersonville, Beech and Gallatin more of their traditional area back.

Gallatin's current enrollment is 1410 according to Sumner County Board of Education. Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Beech all dropped numbers in enrollment when Station Camp and JPII opened. That is why you build new schools, to ease overcrowding. White House has dropped enrollment also. See White House-Heritage. What would the student body of GHS now have to do with a 10 year reunion. You are a 'doomsayer' for GHS. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, you can not speak for an entire community. For every person who believes what you are saying, I am sure their are others who disagree.

First of all I have a lot of respect for Gallatin, it's tradition and history. They are just 1 year removed from being 10-0 with 44 seniors. I think it is players. I do not believe that they have the players they did 10 years ago consistently every year. With all of the new schools I don't know if they will ever get back to the dominant days. Both Hendersonville and Gallatin face some of the same issues with the region they are in that are facing superior athletic talent every week (not necessarily superior football talent). Last Friday night at Antioch Hendersonville fights the rear ends off in the first half only to see Antioch's quarterback run about 40 yards across the field, throw a hail mary and see a 6-4 wide receiver out jump everybody and score and tie the game at the half. Antioch's offense consists of shotgun snap, the quarterback runs around and makes a play. Neither Gallatin or Hendersonville has that type of player this year. I think it is just a different time and I just hope that we can get an all Sumner County region some day. Having less 50 people on the visitors side 3 or 4 times a year stinks! I just cannot believe that Gallatin will not be up for the Commandos next Friday night. I think it will be close hard fought game and I think that the team that wins the time of possession battle will win the game.

In short, I think it is time that the Gallatin staff and administration consider dropping to 4A. It is obvious that the affects of losing enrollment to Station Camp is starting to show. The Bison are on the up swing in a big way and Gallatin is on a slippery slope with no breaks.

I, for one, would NOT like a drop to 4A!!! We're having a rough year, but I believe the Wave will be just fine!! Gotta have faith!!