Teams Playing with 37,500+ Attendance

WarriorFan

This was posted in The Jackson Sun (Jackson, TN) two weeks ago regarding Serious High School Football in KENTUCKY of all places.......if you cannot pull it up here is the story......

Football

A football game with 37,558 in attendance would usually have two colleges involved.

However, the game Jackson's Alan Sallee Sr . and Dan O'Brien attended last Friday was a high school game in Louisville, Ky.

The two private Louisville high schools involved - St. Xavier and Trinity - played at the University of Louisville's Papa John Cardinal Stadium. St. Xavier recently opened a new 6,200-seat football stadium on the school's campus, but it was too small to handle Friday's crowd.

"The game is played (annually) before the largest crowd in the nation for a high school football game," Sallee said. "The atmosphere is great with tailgating before the game that resembles college tailgating, people barbecuing ... It's an event."

More than one-third of a million dollars can be generated in ticket sales for the game.

"Tickets are $10, and people don't come because it's cheap," Sallee said. "They come because it's an event. They would sell the same number of tickets if they were $25 each."

Sallee, a 1956 graduate of St. Xavier, said when he attended the school his tuition was $72 a year.

Today, tuition is $9,700 per year for each of the 1,400 students enrolled, he said.

"It's a factory," Sallee said of St. X., which opened in 1864 when the Xaverian Brothers started the high school. "They have a new football stadium, baseball and basketball facilities ... an incredible situation."

Wow.....TN has a better College rep than KY, but THEY can put it together........

Notice the $$$$ involved for BOTH the schools.....come on guys....HS sports are BIG business.......for the schools....they don't play these games for their health!

Imagine the budgets for both schools AFTER these games........lots of nice uniforms.....of course......for my Maryville friends.....THEY only want to be Blount Co. Champions.......BIG gates! (5,000 max....) /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Interestingly.....Trinity was on MBA's schedule for several years......THAT is why they are going to the Herbstreit Classic......It just made sense.......

Brandon

You have a bad obsession with Maryville. It is sad to say the least. The thing is you don't see Rebel fans getting on Brentwood Academy threads. Especially me. That is because I don't care about them. They mean nothing to me.

I could care less who Brentwood Academy plays. If they want to play teams across the USA that is all fine and dandy but I don't care.