CENTENNIAL vs. BRENTWOOD

CHS 2007

Brentwood does the job.....CHS... do you still think that there is no difference between 3a and 5a football? I mean this in a "give me an intelligent answer.

Like I said back in the Indy thread, a 3A team like Lipscomb could easily beat a good number of 5A schools. Games are decided by who has the better team, not what division they are in.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a former Brentwood football player this will probably come off a little bit bias but i thought I'd give my two cents in this matter of this rivalry..

Centennial had Brentwood beat four years ago ('03-'04) when they played at Centennial. However, a very questionable run up the gut instead of kneeling the ball with under two minutes to go yielded a fumble and second life for brentwood. They, as most on this thread will know, ended up kicking a field goal to win as time expired. This is, in my opinion, is the lasting symbol and bitter taste most Cougar fans still remember.

Being a member of the most exciting (and for that matter craziest) game between the cougars and bruins also seemed to spark this "NEVER EVER will we lose to Centennial!" attitude. My freshman year, also '03-'04, we defeated Centennial in triple overtime after yet another cougar miscue turned the ball over to our offense with 7 seconds left inside their own 2 yard line. Needless to say we scored and the rest is history (we went 1-7, with that win our only).

But having ties at Centennial too, I do root for them when they play any other region opponent. I like where coach Mat is going with the team and see good things each year, hoping that they can build on them and get to the playoffs soon.

Congrats to the seniors of Brentwood for keeping the streak alive. Now you guys need to focus on your last few games and getting into the playoffs. Keep up the good work!

AC 07

Remember that game like it was yesterday. When people mention our record against Brentwood, my mind always turns back to that game. That may actually leave a more bitter taste in my mouth than our 04 loss to Franklin because we had the game won.

Stats from last night. As fromthetop mentioned, no completions for Brentwood, then again, they really didnt need to.

BRENTWOOD 30, CENTENNIAL 0

Passing

BHS: Krow 0-4 1 Int/ Fancher 0-1

CHS: Barlar 7-14 34 yrds, 1 Int/ Scales 1-2 19 yrds

Rushing

BHS: Regan 7-85, Krow 14-82 3TD, Ty. Mustin 13-70 TD, Coffey 10-38, Ta. Mustin 2-13, Evans 2-4, Gregory 1-2, Mitchell 3-0

CHS: Coffee 12-29, Scales 7-18, Kemp 2-3, Barlar 3-(-5)

Receiving

BHS: none

CHS: McLemore 4-4, Coffee 3-17, Kemp 1-2

1st Quarter

BHS: Krow 1 yrd run (Coley kick)

2nd Quarter

BHS: Krow 1 yrd run (Coley kick)

BHS: Ty Mustin 2 yrd run (Coley kick)

3rd Quarter

BHS: Krow 10 yrd run (kick wide)

4th Quarter

BHS: Coley 25 yrd FG

BRENTWOOD 30

CENTENNIAL 0

The score says it all. Brentwood's offense was clicking and their defense was stout as always. The killer came right before halftime, when Allante McLemore returned an interception nearly 60 yards, setting up a first and goal on the four. The Cougars ended up turning the ball over on downs. This happend again later in the third. One of the main problems I saw was too much East/West running. Instead of trying to find the hole inside, we kept running straight for the sideline, where the defense could close in.

Defensively, we still cannot stop the run. They ran it right at us all night all we couldnt slow them down. Also must say I was very displeased with the fan turnout. There were a limited number of students that showed up and many of them left early or werent paying attention.

Overall, we need to regroup and focus on Columbia. We all know what happened with them last year, so hopefully we can shake this one off and pull off another emotional win.

you know I've been thinking about the waining of fan support and that too bothers me - the administration, some of our teachers, the flag runners, and cheerleaders have bent over backwards THIS year to make for more school spirit - what's the deal?

you know I've been thinking about the waining of fan support and that too bothers me - the administration, some of our teachers, the flag runners, and cheerleaders have bent over backwards THIS year to make for more school spirit - what's the deal?

One thing I noticed when I was there last night is how quiet the fans were. There was no chanting, cheering, it was dead quiet. It basically looked like no one was having fun. I remember last year at Dickson Co. there were no more than 12 students there, but we were all screaming, chanting, dancing to the band, even when we were down 42-0 we were still loud and crazy. Or against Franklin, when we stormed their field and got in the handshake line despite losing 26-0. Last night, we went down 14-0 in the 2nd and everyone sat down and started getting this "who cares" attitude. This was by far the most disappointed I've ever been with our fans.

The Spirit Club situation is a controversey all of its own. The flag-runners are now being run almost entirely by the faculty, whereas last year it was mostly student-run. The one thing I dont like is how the flag runners are separated from the rest of the student section, as they are not allowed to do the traditional fence-jump after scores. I dont know, I just think that maybe they took too much control of it and the whole-process became less fun.