JCS Weekly Report

JaxMan

I think this whole discussion is way off base. Matt and Bill are good friends. If Matt had stayed at USJ at quarterback you would always have one camp of "fans/press/coaches" second guessing any mistake. If Matt had stayed and Bill was QB the situation would be the same for Bill. I think Doug Hudson stated it very perfectly that It worked out to be the best of both worlds for everyone involved since both boys got to play at QB. We are very blessed to have Matt and his family at JCS, not just for their football skills. It goes much deeper than that. Like wise USJ is blessed with Bill Hardegree and family. I sure any team in 82A or West Tennessee would be overjoyed to have them (including JCS). Matt had a great game Friday but there was nothing wrong with Bill's game. The difference in the outcome was that JCS had a better game plan and executed it. Coach Marley took full blame for this. Something special happened to our team (and our school) last year much larger than winning the State Championship and it continues to grow. I credit this to the players and coaching staff. USJ is vastly improved this year and we took this game very seriously. I'll say again the difference was game/plan execution and the bond of these young men.

Very well put, Metfan. Glad you had the opportunity to say this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasbeen7 said, "I think JCS owes USJ and Coach Marley a big thank you for sending the Hudsons (Matt and Doug) on their way 2 years ago making it obvious that their services were not needed at USJ. After watching Matt's brilliant performance last night vs. USJ, I was again amazed to think that this young man was actually passed over for the QB position at USJ. I also find it amusing that any coaching staff would refuse the (free) assistance of such a knowledgeable football student as Doug Hudson. Maybe I'm missing something? Oh well, congratulations to JCS and to Matt (and Doug) on the big win and good luck with your future."

I realize that a lot of folks wonder the same things that you are Hasbeen...but most of us are smart enough to keep those thoughts to ourselves. Most of us cannot understand what goes into making a decision like the one the USJ coaching staff made when they chose Hardigree over Hudson - if that's actually what happened. Unfortunately, on sports teams, coaches have to make decisions like that one - and some time they are the right decisions, and sometimes, they aren't. It stinks for the coaching staff, especially if they make the wrong one. It stinks for the players involved also - in this case, both who have excellent talents.

So, instead of bashing the USJ coaching staff, or gloating if you are a JCS fan - KEEP THE KIDS IN MIND. What would you think if your name was Bill Hardegree and you read your post? Keep it to yourself hasbeen7. No matter what YOU or I or ANYONE else thinks on this subject...keep in mind, they both are very talented young men - the key here being "young men". Both have strong opportunities in front of them if they choose to capitalize on them.

I enjoyed watching both of these young men lead their teams Friday night. Both teams played well, and congrats to JCS for an excellent win. Matt and Bill are growing into great competitors, and I hope Jackson, TN will enjoy watching them for many years to come! GL to both Matt and Bill - and their respective teams...

I never mentioned any other player than Hudson in my post. Yeah a lot of people do wonder about the circumstances that forced Hudson to leave USJ - why not talk about it? Picture this - summer of '06 - 2 talented QBs show up to practice at USJ, both having been to QB camps, both have worked hard to be on top of his game, etc. Without being able to throw the first pass, one is told that he will not play QB and will be moved to another position - no discussion! Now, not even taking talent into consideration, was this fair? Kids have to compete for positions all the time in sports and usually the most talented kid for the position gets it. Hudson wasn't even given a chance. So how fair is it that he had to change schools to "follow his dream" of playing QB. His entire family was emotionally tried - not something to take lightly. So why not talk about it. I'm not taking anything away from any other player and I will agree that Bill has had a great year. I'm just glad considering how it came about that Matt's move has worked out as well as it has.