Tennesse signed any girls from Tn.

sportalcholic

You are so right. Locally, the UT coaches attended some of the district softball games and it was orange from head to toe, even their shoes. The other coaches that were there that we talked to---Tenn. Tech, LMU, Middle Tn., Cleveland State, etc., none of them had on anything from their schools and when asked about it, they purposely did not wear anything with their logo. The point is that you are there to watch a ballgame, not have everyone watching you. I'm with you Funman, give some of the money from all their attire to the Tn. signees. I also do not believe they will do well in the SEC tourney.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sportsfan999

You guys are pretty hard on the Tennessee coaches. I thought they had a good program at UTC. They didn't have a very good first year at UT, but they deserve a chance to see what they can do with their own players this coming season. As many of their own kids as they have brought in they will get the credit or blame for the coming season, no more excuses. They do seem to enjoy being noticed, I will give you that. If they don't have a better season this year they may be a little less noticable next year. They have got some good kids coming in so if they don't make the SEC tournament this season it should fall back on coaching. They may have left the best program in the State to go to UTK. That may be a tough spot to take away from UTC even with all the UTK resources. Frank Reed has quickly put his own team in place and also has several new kids coming in. Does UTK play UTC this season? That would be an interesting game.

I don't believe that UTK plays UTC and it is a darn good thing for UTK that they don't. Seriously, it will take 1 year to let the dust settle. I'm thinking more of giving the UTK coaches possibly 2 years before everything settles and the girls and recruits come together and decide to play some softball. This guy has a proven track record and if anyone can do it, I think he can. My problem is I'm a little prejudiced where the Tn. girls are concerned and want them to get a fair shake over California and Arizona girls. I'm just saying look at the tallent in Tn. If you find better tallent elsewhere, then my phiosophy is still get the best of the best. My gripe is making Tn. girls walk on because they live here and saying the best you can do for them is "maybe" giving them $1,500 for books. I have a child that is a senior at UTK (she doesn't play sports), and trust me, $1,500 doesn't even come close.

Guest MSSoftball

I hope she does well. The UT coach did in fact state that he currently has 26 players (Chappy is not one of them) on his roster. He said that he would likely have to cut six players. I wasn't sure if he meant returning players, new players or a combination of both. I don't think that is too uncommon as the new Georgia did the same thing a couple of years ago.

Chappy did not sign a "letter of intent" but she did earn, through a lot of hard work, an academic scholarship to UT. She hopes to make the softball as a walk on. Go Chappy!! We wish her the best. Great kid...

[Edited by MSSoftball on 7/17/02 6:51P]

[Edited by MSSoftball on 7/17/02 7:16P]

Sitting on a bench in D1 may be prestigious for a little while, but if you love the game and want desperately to play, you will be going D2 or NAIA. It doesn't make any sense to me and the travel coaches that I have spoken with about this very subject. You are wasting the tallent that you have and throwing away all the hard work that got you there. Why not put it to good use and play?

To sit on the bench at a D1 school such as UT may be prestigious...you can say you wore the jersey, UT may achieve more as a team (conference wins and beyond), and the degree you earn at that institution may be worth more than playing at another school. There are plenty of local D1 schools (OVC) that are competitive and recruit local girls to play. A player has to determine that for herself. There are highly competitive schools in all divisions of NCAA and in the NAIA. Several quality midstate players have returned from the big "SEC" to PLAY at smaller conference schools that are D1. I am not sure that all of the ones I am aware of were on account of 'riding the bench'.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!! To say that "UT may achieve more as a team (conference wins and beyond)". UT right now is having trouble accomplishing more than a high school team. Have you kept up with them in the last few years????????? Can't say that any of our girls would want to be associated with that. Don't get me wrong, my blood runs as orange as anyone else's, but really???? I do think that Coach Weakley will turn the program around, but there are other great programs out there and not just D1.

Also to say that a "degree you earn at that institution may be worth more than playing at another school", maybe, maybe not. In my experience of interviewing and hiring someone, I sure didn't hire that person because of where they went to school, namely UT. UT may be a great grant and research school, but really.

You read too much between the lines. My comments about UT are impartial to 'orange blood' or anything of the likes. This thread is about UT recruits, so I used that as an example. I am not in a profession that requires me to interview anyone. I have optimism for any new coach (Ralph Weakley) for improvement. I have not followed the previous coach's career with UT. I did watch a few games, and the guy was not impressive. Kind of gave the image of liking himself a little too much.

Possibly a student athlete at UT may enjoy the college life and the chosen academic program that UT offers. Girl's who truly love the game can become more interested in life beyond the softball field as they become young women. Kids grow up. They can become focused, individuals who are looking for a career. Softball may be the means (scholarship) for achieving that goal in life. No less of a love for the game. Possibly less of a need for the game. What do you expect the college athlete to do after college ball?

D1, D2, D3, NAIA... it is all the same game. UT may achieve more conference titles as a D1 school than say Austin Peay that is a D1 school. Competition and ability to recruit are the issues. I think it is great that UT recognized the existing softball program was not successful and has made efforts to change. On another thread I started, the comparison is made between high school ball and summer ball. College can have the same afflictions as high school-- coaching problems. Use UT as an example.