Tennesse signed any girls from Tn.

sportalcholic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Talked to Coach Weakley and ask About Chapman and coming to UT to play softball and he said it was news to him. Coach Mac had contacted him about a try out and she didn't show up. That ended that. He also said he had 26 players and was going to have to release 6 to get down to 20. Out of the coach's mouth!

Any idea which 6 are going to be cut? What about the walk ons? Why would you recruit that many players knowing full well that you are going to have some unhappy players? Heaven knows they could probably be playing somewhere else. It isn't very prestigous to sit on the bench at D1 when you could be playing in D2 or other conferences. I heard a rumor that Wheatley had already made the statement that he wished he had stayed at UTC. Could be just a rumor, who knows? He had 9 listed signees in the newspaper. Are any of them going to be in the cut? Is Chapman a walk on like the other local girls about Knoxville and surrounding areas? They have been honest about it at least, but they have said they will not give scholarships to anyone (at least in softball) that is within a 45 mile radius of U.T. Guess that gives more money to the Arizona and California girls that U.T. thinks is all they can recruit. If they are so great in those states, why are they not staying closer to home? Do they honestly think that the locals here are going to go watch these girls that we know nothing about, except what we read in the newspaper. Yet if any of our local girls do make the team, they are bench warmers and will be all 4 years if they hang in there that long. This should get real interesting before too long.

I worked the advanced camp at ut and most of the signess/walk-ons were there. One that was there that you have not talked about is the shortstop from erwin/unico county. she's a stud, she will be a good outfielder there. coach weekley is very high on all the walk-on players. As for someone saying he wished he would have stayed at chattanooga i think not. and as most of you know he has been one that has always recruited tennessee kids. weren't alexander brewer reed and the like all from tennessee? so lets don't group him with the previous coach up there. and most of you don't understand this but to play on the very highest level you have to get kids from out of state and in softball the west coast. ask phillip fulmer and pat summitt (they like weekley seem to get the best the state has to offer) they seem to do ok with out of state kids haha and no one says anything about them not recruting the state. i think coach weekley will have the lady vols in the top ten in the nation in a few years. and he will get the best instate players we have to offer. he didn't just get to be the head coach and the hitting coach for the olympic team without knowing something.

He had a good thing going with East Ridge but I wouldn't say he recruited Chattanooga as hard as he could, or at least didn't think too much of the talent overall. Some of the best people in his years there had to transfer from other places like Amy Robertson-Baylor/Ga Tech and Kami Tucker-Ooltewah/Texas A&M. He also missed out on some good talent like Jackie McClain-GPS/Alabama or Megan Donohoo-Notre Dame/South Carolina. And did he have any players from the Nashville area worth mentioning? 2 hours away shouldn't be out of his recruiting range.

Each coach has a different philosophy and I certainly don't want to group the new coach with the old one. My problem is that look at the in state tallent. Don't assume that each player because they are in state would just give anything (or give up everything) to come to play for UTK. As by Indian's reply, we lost some very tallented girls to out of state schools because of their philosophy. Pat Summitt goes for the best no matter where they live. (Kelly Jolley was a great player.) In my opinion, Fulmer gets the in state players simply to keep other schools from getting them and then walks on them. Weakley has already made his statement about in state players. He wants them to be walk ons. I'm saying get the best of the best, but look in your own back yard first. If they are from this state, they deserve to have the money up front just like anyone else that isn't from this state. GIVE THE TENNESSEE GIRLS THE SAME BREAK AS ANYONE ELSE, BUT ALSO----SHOW THEM THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

If they always dress in orange like they did at the state tournament ( no other coach wore their school colors around the parks) why don't they use some of the Orange money for tenn girls........my guess is they will not make the sec tournament again.....