WHAT IS THE COST TO WRESTLE?

THEANIMAL

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newer programs usually have to pay more than the older ones with winning traditions(bradley)

if i remember right siegel was $150 included sweats, shorts, busses, tourneys, officials, and cleaning stuff...

do we gotta include medical bills?

Wrestling is cheap in $ but heavy on the blood sweat & tears department.

Hendersonville-$80

Farragut when we were there $250

Programs that are charging $0. Help us understand how to help our programs get to the $0 level!

WCHS @ 25.00 (Does not include any optional jackets, hoodies, etc...)

No outside Fundraisers!

In school matches raise big bucks. Kids pay to get out of class!

Rigger, I was wondering what in the heck that you guys are providing for that much money. Does the school not provide some kind of budget for the team? Greeneville does. We also host 3 or 4 varsity and high school tournaments and a couple of MS tournaments each year. Any kid, rich or poor, can come and work a tournament and help raise money for the program.

What do these schools do when a student can't afford to pay the fee?

For years our program was primarily funded through our AAU program. Zero $'s are budgeted through the school for the wrestling program, or for any other athletic program to my knowledge, in Roane Co. Fundraisers, donations, etc..are the only means that we have to fund our programs.

This year, all of our funds were depleted due to moving our practices off campus. We weren't "forced" to move, but due to the limited space and restrictions that, that would put on our practices the decision was made to "bite the bullet" and use what we had in funds to establish our "own" practice facility. Although this decision was the right decision for the program, we have found ourselves back to where we started some 10 years ago, asking kids/parents to pay their own way.

Each year, I meet with the parents prior to beginning practice to discuss the upcoming season. During this years mtg I put everything on the table (team/individual expenses) and asked how everyone wanted to handle the financial situation. The majority wanted to pay their own way, versus fundraisers. As I mentioned to them, no one will be left behind and the "program" would find a way to help those that needed help.

I absolutely hate that these parents have to pay their kids way for a HS sport. But, what are we going to do? We are left to "fend for ourselves".

Wow! RCPatriot, I respect you even more for all that you have accomplished after reading that post. I am just lucky that I have been involved with schools that provide at least some funding. We have always raised funds through tournaments and fundraisers to supplement but I hate to think that I had to raise everything.

Are you building your own facilities? Rent? I'd love to hear about how things are turning out for you. Off-campus would help in all kinds of ways.