William Blount vs Heritage

jethro

He can also do cipherin and goesinto's........... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

speakin of countin ... Senior Night @ Wm Blount looked to include about every skill player name and most linemen as seniors. 30 or more players?

This looks to be a special year for the GOVS but what about next year? Rebuild or reload? Does Scott Meadows stay or move on?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speakin of countin ... Senior Night @ Wm Blount looked to include about every skill player name and most linemen as seniors. 30 or more players?

This looks to be a special year for the GOVS but what about next year? Rebuild or reload? Does Scott Meadows stay or move on?

I think next year will be a down year, but not back to the cellar. Meadows will be at WB whippin' the next class into shape.

I don't believe anyone would have thought we could have improved this much year over year when Meadow's started. He and his excellent staff have taken good players and made them much better. Think back -- there were very few of this year's fine crop of players starting, say 2, 3 years ago. They were talented, but not so great that they jumped over the Freshman/JV teams. (Probably a few did, but very few). And look where they are at now. Same thing can happen again.

I would say that Meadows and his staff will work the same sort of magic next year and beyond. Plus, some of the talent we should have had say 3 years ago, won't transfer to other schools. There is a genuine excitement in the small lads that play ball. When the young midget-leaguers want to grow up and play at WB, then you're starting to accomplish something.

Plus, I'll remind you of one other thing. When Meadows first started coaching at WB, about a third of the team quit during the first year. I heard complaints that he was working them too hard. Too many drills, too many workouts, that sort of thing. Well, that weeded out the ones that thought football would be an easy way to get a letter, look like a big man on campus, etc. What we were left with were the ones that we have now .... the ones who are dedicated and believe that they can win some games. I believe that attitude might just stay.

I think the best is just beginning.

Yep, we'll be a little down, but we'll still make the playoffs next year.

Comments, anyone?

I think next year will be a down year, but not back to the cellar. Meadows will be at WB whippin' the next class into shape.

I don't believe anyone would have thought we could have improved this much year over year when Meadow's started. He and his excellent staff have taken good players and made them much better. Think back -- there were very few of this year's fine crop of players starting, say 2, 3 years ago. They were talented, but not so great that they jumped over the Freshman/JV teams. (Probably a few did, but very few). And look where they are at now. Same thing can happen again.

I would say that Meadows and his staff will work the same sort of magic next year and beyond. Plus, some of the talent we should have had say 3 years ago, won't transfer to other schools. There is a genuine excitement in the small lads that play ball. When the young midget-leaguers want to grow up and play at WB, then you're starting to accomplish something.

Plus, I'll remind you of one other thing. When Meadows first started coaching at WB, about a third of the team quit during the first year. I heard complaints that he was working them too hard. Too many drills, too many workouts, that sort of thing. Well, that weeded out the ones that thought football would be an easy way to get a letter, look like a big man on campus, etc. What we were left with were the ones that we have now .... the ones who are dedicated and believe that they can win some games. I believe that attitude might just stay.

I think the best is just beginning.

Yep, we'll be a little down, but we'll still make the playoffs next year.

Comments, anyone?

Playoffs? I thought we used bowl games.

Hey Jethro

Glad to hear from you.... Speaking of senior night I believe the number of seniors is twenty six... Not really sure... Alot of talent will be leaving but several will be back... Garner, Cope, Lail, Gourley just to name a few... The line on both sides will be new for the most part but they have been practicing against some pretty good competiton this year and with a little tender loving care from Coach Emert and Wilheit.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ... I think they will do fine.. There will be several slots to fill in the receiving group and our young kickers need to work hard but all that will have to start in the weight room after this season. For now let's not focus to far in the future.. Heritage has improved as the year has progressed and I'm sure they will bring their best effort for the Govs. The Govs must maintain their level of intensity and not get caught up in playoff or postseaon thought. After following up on some of etcoaches comments I to have came to the conclusion that I am not going to worry about the rest of the regions games this week. This is the one I'll focus on...

GO GOVS

Just a side note...the four starters that you named, tpoole, are the only starters returning next season.

As you say,

Just a side note.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ....I said there will be alot of "talent" leaving, I said there will be several returning... I mentioned the starters, but they are not the only "talent" that will be returning.... I didn't imply we would be loaded.. just to say that the cupbard, in my opinion, is not empty........... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Hey Jethro

Glad to hear from you.... Speaking of senior night I believe the number of seniors is twenty six... Not really sure... Alot of talent will be leaving but several will be back... Garner, Cope, Lail, Gourley just to name a few... The line on both sides will be new for the most part but they have been practicing against some pretty good competiton this year and with a little tender loving care from Coach Emert and Wilheit.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ... I think they will do fine.. There will be several slots to fill in the receiving group and our young kickers need to work hard but all that will have to start in the weight room after this season. For now let's not focus to far in the future.. Heritage has improved as the year has progressed and I'm sure they will bring their best effort for the Govs. The Govs must maintain their level of intensity and not get caught up in playoff or postseaon thought. After following up on some of etcoaches comments I to have came to the conclusion that I am not going to worry about the rest of the regions games this week. This is the one I'll focus on...

GO GOVS

Hey TPoole! Yep, you're right ... we need to keep our focus on tomorrow nights game. Heritage will probably be a tougher game than some are thinking. In the past, even when we were predicted to win big, it was closer than what conventional wisdom suggested. This is a heated rivalry and I'm sure the Mountaineers would like nothing better than to hand the Govs a loss.

As you say,

Just a side note.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ....I said there will be alot of "talent" leaving, I said there will be several returning... I mentioned the starters, but they are not the only "talent" that will be returning.... I didn't imply we would be loaded.. just to say that the cupbard, in my opinion, is not empty........... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I wasn't being sarcastic...if I was...I would have taken your lead and added a little smiley.

The cupboard is far from being empty, as there are guys that get significant PT besides those starters that are coming back as well as plenty of guys who are going to be upcoming seniors and juniors that are great players.

I was just saying that it is hard to return only four starters anytime that happens, and it will be interesting to see how well the players that are returning can build off such a successful season.