Mid-state bowl games

nrgrizzlies

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a bowl game is a reward for a successful season

5-5 is not a success however you measure it. (I think they will lose to riverdale)

I would hate to see smyrna go to a bowl if they were 5-5 in a way that would be humiliating.

Lavergne to their credit may have lost by small margins but in the end the truth is they just did not get it done especially against Siegel.

They will end up with 2 region (blackman may get to 3 this week) and only one win over a team with a winning record (antioch).

Not raining on your bowl parade but in my opinion I would make the riverdale game my bowl' a win there would be bigger than any bowl game.

I have no doubt lavergne would be in the playoffs in any other region and maybe even win a couple of them but once again they had numerous chances during the season but even a bowl game won't erase that.

I would hate to see smyrna in a cold less than half filled stadium playing anybody it would just be a reminder of we didn't get it done.

There was a time years ago when it would be a plus for lavergne but those days are gone. They are better than that now.

What about Siegel/Blackman/Lebanon/Ravenwood/Dickson County/etc...

Shall they all stay at home as well? Some of them will be .500 or better and not playoff bound, no?

Reminder: this was not started as a Lavergne/Smyrna thread...it was started as a bowl thread.

the orginal post of this thread:

quote:

Any projections out there?

If Siegel doesn't beat Lebanon?

Brentwood. Lavergne. Ravenwood.

Any other probable 5 to 6 win teams that don't get in the playoffs?

I left out Blackman...my bad...they can advance to .500 with a win this week.

Can private schools such as BGA play publics in bowls?

Yes, Battle Ground Academy would be allowed to play a public school. The problem is that BGA is a good football team and most public schools would not want to play them. It's amazing what a good coaching staff has done with BGA in only one season.

Yes, Battle Ground Academy would be allowed to play a public school. The problem is that BGA is a good football team and most public schools would not want to play them. It's amazing what a good coaching staff has done with BGA in only one season.

Why would BGA be in a bowl. If I am not mistaken, in DII, if you have a winning record you are in the playoffs.

As far as (NO PARTICULAR SCHOOL - ok 82?) going to one of those bowls...

pro and con

advantages:

Get a few extra practices in.

A chance to maybe get some backups in to get them some game experience.

If you win...you end the season on a (somewhat) high note.

disadvantages:

Chance of injury (always)

If you lose...end the year on a down note. (even though not the end of the world)

The basketball coach is itching to get his guys back from football.

and finally - a really obscure minor advantage:

If your marching band still has competitions to go to, they get an extra halftime to practice their show.

(ok...that's a REALLY obscure reason, but some of those bands take that stuff very seriously)

You forgot the main disadvantage:

If you just suffered a devastating loss (a la Indy last year), it's really hard to get the team up for a bowl game. Our kids had their senior night, went through all of that and it was supposed to be over, but SS ended up scheduling a bowl (a reasonable idea, we were 7-3 after all). No enthusiasm from the team has a whole...the seniors just kinda went all out because it was their last game, but it was a cold, rainy, miserable night. Nobody showed up to watch, and three of our best players got hurt.

Was it worth it? Absolutely not. A great notion and all, but it wasn't worth it.

However, the guys were disappointed because there was talk of them matching up against Oak Ridge (who missed the playoffs last year as well) and the thought of that got them really excited, so Overton was a bit of a letdown.