Williams to MTSU!

thenomad

Demario Williams of Culleoka has committed to MTSU!! What a big committment for MTSU and its men's team. Shortly after their women's team gets the committment of a Miss Bball Finalist, the men get one as well. Congratulations to the MTSU program and Demario Williams!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

http://c-dh.net/articles/2007/11/01/sports/1demario.txt

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice addition to MTSU. However, at one time, most AAU coaches and even local college coaches would have told you he was going to be a high major. Still think he is very good and will be able to get some playing time at MTSU, but he is an example of a player who may have been better off spending more time focusing on basketball. Either that, or spend more time playing football. He tried to do both, but it did not work out for him to make it to the highest level in basketball. I hope he is happy to be where he is and I am sure he is. I am just saying that he did not achieve what everyone thought he would.

Good luck to him. He ha a real shot at A Mr. basketball this year!

Nice pick up. Glas to see TN kids staying in state. Heard APSU ran out of spots or he might have gone there. And SEC schools were starting to come in. Anybody know what his FB choices were?

His SEC football options were South Carolina, Ole Miss. He was a high major basketball recruit heading into his junior season last year. However, he was banged up virtually the entire season and into the Spring/Summer which really hurt his stock b/c he lost a lot of lift and explosion that he previously showed. Injury was the only thing preventing him from achieving that High Major level in basketball. It wasnt that he played football. He was one of those kids that was able to do both at a high level. The injuries really hurt his stock in both sports, frankly. There werent SEC schools coming in for basketball at the end although he did have a lot of serious interest, not offers, previously before his injuries really became noticable.

His SEC football options were South Carolina, Ole Miss. He was a high major basketball recruit heading into his junior season last year. However, he was banged up virtually the entire season and into the Spring/Summer which really hurt his stock b/c he lost a lot of lift and explosion that he previously showed. Injury was the only thing preventing him from achieving that High Major level in basketball. It wasnt that he played football. He was one of those kids that was able to do both at a high level. The injuries really hurt his stock in both sports, frankly. There werent SEC schools coming in for basketball at the end although he did have a lot of serious interest, not offers, previously before his injuries really became noticable.

Regardless, Middle Tennessee fans are happy to have him. He can thrive there. Kermit Davis is a great coach. Middle Tennessee will be good for Williams and he'll be good for Middle Tennessee.

GO BLUE RAIDERS!

Nice addition to MTSU. However, at one time, most AAU coaches and even local college coaches would have told you he was going to be a high major. Still think he is very good and will be able to get some playing time at MTSU, but he is an example of a player who may have been better off spending more time focusing on basketball. Either that, or spend more time playing football. He tried to do both, but it did not work out for him to make it to the highest level in basketball. I hope he is happy to be where he is and I am sure he is. I am just saying that he did not achieve what everyone thought he would.

Good luck to him. He ha a real shot at A Mr. basketball this year!

maybe the kid wanted to stay close to home....maybe there were other reasons we dont know about...trust me ive known mario since he was an 8th grader...he chose mtsu because it was best for him...who cares what everyone thought he would do...we should be happy hes close so we can go watch his games...i wouldnt be suprised if mario led this team to an ncaa berth sometime in his career...good luck to mario...i hope you do it big man

Demario was offered by several big programs. In the SEC he was offered during his jr. year by Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi St. He also received offers from Cincinati, Clemson, Michigan St., Western KY., Murray St., Southern Ill., He was recruited heavily by Florida St., Illinois, Louisville, Ole Miss, and Alabama among others. The injury factor last year was important to some of those offers as well as players who committed that were the same type of player he is. MTSU got a great player and I am happy for them and for Demario he should be a great player in the Sun Belt.

I thought I would chime in here. I have coached DeMario since 7th grade and love him like a son. I am ecstatic that he is getting the opportunity to play D-1 ball at an up and coming program in MTSU. I think he can thrive there and think its a great fit. However, I am not sure why people keep projecting this business about all these "offers" he received from HM schools in SEC/ACC/Big 10 for basketball. Yes, he had a lot of interest, but he never had any offers or "early offers" as I keep hear people throwing around. I spoke with every last one of those coaches on that list sevearl times and know for a fact that there were no offers ever extended from any of the SEC/ACC/Big 10, etc. schools. Georgia was close and watched him repeatedly but his injuries prevented any such offer, frankly. From the end of his high school season through the spring, they were the only one of the high major schools with legit interest. Alot of midmajors were on him hard.

I say this not for any other reason except that I dont like it when people put misleading information in newspapers, websites, etc. It doesnt do anyone any good, it especially doesnt help the kid. I see this all the time where people say or think kids have offers when they dont. This can really hurt kids b/c some actually think they do and blow off other opportunities b/c they really dont know what's going on.

The real focus here should be on wishing DeMario the best and congratulating MTSU for receiving a great commit as DeMario has all the ability in the world, and when healthy, can play with anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> All I can say is Thank God he is going to be nearby and I can drive to watch him play! At least I won't be crying quite so much when he graduates from Cully this year. He has character, class, and will be a huge asset to MTSU. He will entertain on and off the court- get ready for a lot of laughs, Big Blue!