FRA vs Notre Dame

chasanooga

In what could be described as a game for the ages, Notre Dame and FRA battled for 110 minutes before going to a shootout. Both teams were on from the beginning as each team brought their A game. In a game that went back and forth with each team making some very nice runs only to have the other team's defense tackle, clear, block, the other teams run. This was an extremely exciting game and neither team had lost to another A/AA opponent all year long. This is not a game where teams forgot to bring their offense but rather where each team defensively stepped up to the challenge time and time again. The athleticism shown on the field tonight could have made a highlight tape on many players from both teams. Some players that stood out for FRA were Tory Pitts, Logann Rogers, Morgan Crofford, and Katie McDonald who made many a nice run from the back line to attack the Irish midfield and back line. Emily Canady in goal was very good in the net. Again all the players played well for FRA, these just stood out to me. For Notre Dame let me first start with Danielle Ciabattone in the mid field who was relentless in her pursuit of the ball both on offense and defense. She covered a lot of ground and seemed to be every where on the field. She played incredibly well for the Irish tonight. Kris Cambron, Darcy Brannen and Carey Leiper (who have scored the majority of the goals for the Irish this year) were the give and go act that were trying to work their majic against FRA's stout defense. They had many nice runs with some nice shots on goal but were unable to convert on their chances. Kate Caramante and Megan Dorris did a fine job in the outside mid positions taking the ball down in the corner and then crossing creating some nice scoring opportunities. The back line was stellar for Notre Dame as Shannon Kelly, Madi Weller, Caitlin Kelley, and Megan Phipps did an extraodinary job in keeping FRA off the scoreboard for 110 minutes. For those who have not seen or played FRA, their speed, size, and skill with the ball at their feet is quite impressive. In the net for the Irish was Victoria Godwin who is field player converted to goal keeper after our first, second and third string goalies went down due to injuries. She did not give up a goal in the post season, phenomenal job by her! Back to the game; the first OT went back and forth with each team getting some scoring chances but each team was unable to finish. There were crosses in front of the net, there were scrums in front of the net, there were shots just wide and shots just high as each team took the other's best shot. Each goalie made some very nices saves as well. It was like two heavyweight prize fighters who were standing toe to toe to see who would fall first. But in the end after two 10 minute OT's and two 5 minute (golden goal) OT's the scored was still tied 0-0. Just like I mentioned in the CCS/CAK post, shootouts are TORTURE! Well not to go through the who made who missed scenario, FRA made 5 to Notre Dame's 4 with 8 shooters for both teams. Extremely tough way to finish the season for the Irish but they left it all out there on the field and that is all you can ask out of any team. They have made it to the final 4 three years in a row, maybe next year we can win it all. They have a had a great season! Best of luck to FRA in the finals.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what could be described as a game for the ages, Notre Dame and FRA battled for 110 minutes

Chas......awesome report. thank you for your kind words Undoubtedly the best soccer game I have ever witnessed..... both teams were blessed with some incredible talent and played with hearts as big as all out doors. I'm not sure how much either team could manage to bring to Saturday after that battle.....it's too bad that game had to go all the way to a win because both teams deserved a win.....and no one was a loser with the effort they produced tonight! I'm exhausted...and I wasn't playing!

I really wonder if CPA could pull the upset over FRA. After having faced them 3 times this year I would say that it would be tough for them to do, but they obviously know FRA well. Perhaps FRA could have a letdown after such a high intensity game last night. That said, in the 3 games they've played this year CPA has generated almost no offense which could be a big worry. Can't wait for the District...I mean Region... I mean state finals.

I really wonder if CPA could pull the upset over FRA. After having faced them 3 times this year I would say that it would be tough for them to do, but they obviously know FRA well. Perhaps FRA could have a letdown after such a high intensity game last night. That said, in the 3 games they've played this year CPA has generated almost no offense which could be a big worry. Can't wait for the District...I mean Region... I mean state finals.

I think FRA is motivated and happy to have a day off after the battle last night. I knw CPA will bring everything, but I do not think Coach Mac will let his girls take this game lightly. FRA does have experience at this level (7 straight times to State with 3 titles and a loss in the finals)....its new to CPA (although I expect CPA to return over the next few years) ....perhaps that can be the difference. On paper the edge has to go to FRA but it is a challenge to beat a team 4 times at this level. This speaks volumes for the two teams and all the other teams in the District who are not there but were eliminated in a tough district playoff. I must add the ND had an awesome game last night....and especially the 2 defenses on the field! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think FRA is motivated and happy to have a day off after the battle last night. I knw CPA will bring everything, but I do not think Coach Mac will let his girls take this game lightly. FRA does have experience at this level (7 straight times to State with 3 titles and a loss in the finals)....its new to CPA (although I expect CPA to return over the next few years) ....perhaps that can be the difference. On paper the edge has to go to FRA but it is a challenge to beat a team 4 times at this level. This speaks volumes for the two teams and all the other teams in the District who are not there but were eliminated in a tough district playoff. I must add the ND had an awesome game last night....and especially the 2 defenses on the field! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I definitely don't think FRA will take this game lightly, that's not what I'm saying at all. It's just the fact that beating a team 4 times in one season takes a lot because both teams are so familiar with one of another.