Armstrong resigns at Sequatchie Co.

awfl

Last time I checked none of the other sports' coaches ever hold their players back from playing other sports. When it comes to basketball players, Coach Smith has never held his players back from playing football, baseball, or any other sport. The fact that during basketball season he doesn't want any of the players lifting is hardly not him holding them back from football. From what I have been told, Coach Smith was once helped coach middle school football. This shows that he is not "anti-football," just wanting basketball players to focus on basketball during basketball season. The team has a few players that play football and basketball both. Never once has he said players aren't allowed to go out for other sports. Alot of baseball players play football. If you say that the baseball or basketball coaches tell their kids not to play football, who's to say that the football coaches don't tell their players not to play basketball or baseball. That's not how it goes in Sequatchie County. Kids are allowed to play whatever sport they choose, with no orders from another coach. This is ridiculous that anyone would think otherwise.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballpark you may be right but why doesn't he want his kids to lift during basketball season? Most successful programs lift weights and alot of basketball teams lift during season. Look at Bruce Pearl and Tennessee, they play a game then come in the next morning at 6:00 a.m. and lift. By not allowing your players to lift I feel you are holding them back. Weight lifting is a vital part of all sports nowadays and coaches in all sports need to get on board. I have basketball players who lift 2 days a week during their season. Heck we in season lift during our football season. I am not knocking Coach Smith at all, in fact I know him well and think he is a great guy, I can just see how not letting your kids lift during season can be looked upon as "keeping them out of football".

Sequatchie County would be a great place for a young family man to come in and establish himself. The support is there, the administration, faculty, townspeople, and kids are there to be successful. Hopefully, SC will find someone who wants to live in the beautiful Sequatchie Valley and turn the last couple of years of bad memories into a thing of the past.

Hang in there boys the administration will find you a good coach!!

Ballpark you may be right but why doesn't he want his kids to lift during basketball season? Most successful programs lift weights and alot of basketball teams lift during season. Look at Bruce Pearl and Tennessee, they play a game then come in the next morning at 6:00 a.m. and lift. By not allowing your players to lift I feel you are holding them back. Weight lifting is a vital part of all sports nowadays and coaches in all sports need to get on board. I have basketball players who lift 2 days a week during their season. Heck we in season lift during our football season. I am not knocking Coach Smith at all, in fact I know him well and think he is a great guy, I can just see how not letting your kids lift during season can be looked upon as "keeping them out of football".

Just because Coach Smith doesn't want his boys lifting during season does not mean he is keeping them out of football this is the craziest thing I have ever heard. The team practices every day of the week. If they lift after practice they are already tired and won't be able to do much, on the other hand, if they lift before practice they won't give their full effort in practice later that day. The team lifts during regulated times, no time other than that. If a player was to come in one morning and lift without some sort of supervision and gets injured, then their season is gone. I don't feel its smart to do such a thing. This is still quite immature to blame other coaches on athletes not playing other sports. Grow up...

has this job been posted? I would be interested in the job. I know at the HS i am currently coaching at, we lift during season 2 times a week at 550. off-season we lift 3 times a week at 550 as well. During summer we go from 7-930 with lifting and running to give kids who work the opportunity to work in the afternoons. We have had success with this!

I have seen basketball kids come in early in the mornings to lift. There is no conflict. It does not affect the afternoon practice. People need to realize the importance of a quality weight program to ALL sports. Lifting in the morning and practicing in the afternoon does not affect performance. I have seen some schools lift on game days. Tha school in question also won a state title. Did not seem to bother their effort much. Small schools need to learn to work together and share athletes and time with them. I do not think that Wardawg post was crazy, just factual.

ballpark, who said anything about the players being unsupervised?? I know that during weight training coaches typically supervise their athletes. Next, the injury thing is crazy, if you worry about gettinghurt don't practice or walk down the steet for that matter. What do alot of kids do on the weekend unsupervised? Play back yard ball pick up basketball games etc. You can get hurt just as easy so don't feed me that line of bull. Finally the tired thing is ridiculous, they reenergize quickly. The weightroom will help them put range on the jumper, be stronger in the post and last LONGER b/c they are well conditioned. I wonder, does the Coach have a problem with them not shooting hoops or touching a basketball during summer conditioning for football or the fall during season if they do play both? Since they need to focus on football and all!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Tell 'em about it Dave !!! The weight room will make every athlete more successful. Look at the Dade County, GA basketball girls. They have been one of the areas most successful programs, and wow, they lift 3 morning a week before school during the season. Bigger, faster, stronger athletes. What a crazy concept.

Did you see who he had to play on defense talent wise? That team only had 4 football players on it and still won ball games. Think before you type.

You are exactly correct. Simply have a conversation with him and you get excited about football. The fans in Dunlap would really enjoy his attitude. Sequatchie County would embrace him once they meet and talk wtih him. All he really needs is a chance to prove himself as a head coach.