Spring Hill Football

Willie

JMS-Walker kind of ran himself out of the picture. He got into some trouble.

We ran QB sneak so many times that it wasn't funny. We couldn't pass either because Magwan had no time in the pocket because of our terrible line. I'm tired of watching SH be the whipping boy of the region...it's time to turn it around and whip everyone else.

I agree with you, I am sick of getting whipped.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think that who ever they bring in does need to be someone that is proven. We need a hard nose that knows how to win not someone that is going to try and learn on the fly. I would luv to see an asst. from a great program come in and shake up the whole staff. And whoever said the play alling was a joke well I coulden't agree more. I went to every game this year and in the Lipscomb and the giles games I swear we ran qb sneek up the middle 20 to 30 times and had no yards. The bottom line is the old coach just waisted a great QB for the last 4 yeasr and ran off the best RB that spring hill has seen in ten years last season (J. Walker). I think that kid had D-1 skills and the coach ran him off, come on you don't waist talent like that. Heck the only reason the team went on a run last year was because of that senior class "THEY HAD HEART" COACHING HAD VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH IT! So bring on the new guy and pump some new life into a once proud program! Through thick and thin GO RAIDERS!

I don't know exactly what happened with Walker that "ran him off"--I just know that he had lots of problems!! I too felt that Magwan Smith wasted his high school career with Spring Hill. I heard that he signed with Vandy--but he just never got to shine--I think Spring Hill has lost and will continue to lose talent to the other programs in the area if something doesn't happen QUICK

I understand what you guys are saying about bringing in "new blood" to Spring Hill, but I come from a time when losing was unacceptable in the Hill. You may be right we need new faces, but in my opinion we need some "old blood" to bring back the attitude we carried in the glory days ( still single a and taking care of business) Just my thoughts.

I would love to have someone from the Glory Days to coach for the Raiders. I prefer that, actually. If we can get someone from back in the day, the town will rally behind him. But if nobody is available that has proven that he can win, then I will take someone not from the Raider Tradition.

One problem with this coaching search is where they can fit them in as a teacher. McKnight was a P.E. teacher.

Classof80-Who was the alumni you were referring to about being interested? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you think that Orlando "Papa" Wade will start coming back to games?--Heard he didn't quite enjoy this staff.

All I hope is that spring hill gets a new head coach that will push these kids so that they can be a playoff team every year. Spring hill has talent, its just that the coach's don't know what to do with it, and that offensive cordinator " Coach D" i belive he has to start calling good plays, he doesn't like passing because i don't know how many times teams had 8 people in the box and he tried to run the ball. You had five lineman trying to block 8 defensive players, that is a hard thing to do if you are a lineman. He better get his stuff together or he will be the next one to go. Also the defensive backs coach what is up with him, i mean how many times did his players get burnt deep, but the wide reciver just dropped the pass. The games could have been alot worse but because the wide recivers from the other teams dropped the deep ball. I just want to see this team win because i think the players and the fans are getting frustrated. Get a good coach and win games.

Maybe Principal Callahan has been reading these threads and considering some of the people being talked about. Certainly Atkins is the Spring Hill product we look for...Certainly he has seen what Spring Hill football is all about...Certainly he can bring us back to glory....Certainly he is hardnosed and would bring a hardnosed attitude back to program.

Yes, Spring Hill has alot of politics surrounding its football program, and I would have to say that it could definetly interfere with the search for a coach...

I really do hope that you new guys will be more involved on here come next August...We get outmanned sometimes and we need some alumni to really pump us up.

I know a coach who would be interested in the position but I doubt they could get him back to Spring Hill. Coach Atkins was an assistant under Bill Cox back in the glory years of Raider ball. I think he is a head coach/AD in Mississippi now coaching at a private school. He was coach of the year in NC a few years back. He has a lot of us who played for him back in the day and I bet if someone called him he might be interested. Someone like him would bring back a lot of the old Raider boys and I for one would love to see him. Also, I think one of his sons coaches with him. Since leaving Da Hill he has become one of the most respected coaches around. I just think the principal should check it out. His family still lives in Spring Hill.

What about Coach Stone? Does anyone think he would be interested? Wasn't he the interim head coach for a while? The problem in Spring Hill has always been too much politics. Will that ever change? Good luck Raiders.

What years did Cox coach? What was Spring Hill's record during his tenure?

I would love to have someone from the Glory Days to coach for the Raiders. I prefer that, actually. If we can get someone from back in the day, the town will rally behind him. But if nobody is available that has proven that he can win, then I will take someone not from the Raider Tradition.

One problem with this coaching search is where they can fit them in as a teacher. McKnight was a P.E. teacher.

Classof80-Who was the alumni you were referring to about being interested? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you think that Orlando "Papa" Wade will start coming back to games?--Heard he didn't quite enjoy this staff.

Raiders27 I really don't want to mention his name until I can confirm he would be interested. I do know he still lives in Spring Hill but I understand he has his kids in Nashville at school with him. Having said that I can't help but think if he thought he had a chance to come back he would be interested. I know he loves the program and still follows the raiders. The biggest thing I think he could do for Spring Hill is bring "old S.H." together with "new S.H."

Maybe Principal Callahan has been reading these threads and considering some of the people being talked about. Certainly Atkins is the Spring Hill product we look for...Certainly he has seen what Spring Hill football is all about...Certainly he can bring us back to glory....Certainly he is hardnosed and would bring a hardnosed attitude back to program.

Yes, Spring Hill has alot of politics surrounding its football program, and I would have to say that it could definetly interfere with the search for a coach...

I really do hope that you new guys will be more involved on here come next August...We get outmanned sometimes and we need some alumni to really pump us up.

I hope Principal Callahan realizes that Spring hill is on map now, we are no longer the step child to Columbia. Spring hill is a booming city, and people moving here look at the schools programs before deciding where to move and what schools to choose for thier kids. Spring Hill could be very attractive to alot of families, the opportunity is there, but you have to have the sports programs to support it. If you have a winning program, THEY WILL COME

First off I'd like to thank Coach McKnight and his family for their dedication the last four seasons and good luck in his future career in the Tennessee National Guard. Coach McKnight will be missed by a lot of people...

A detailed and LONG Spring Hill football history from the facts I have:

If my research is correct, Coach Cox coached from 1995-2001. I know for a fact that he had only one Region Championship and that was the 1998 season. I think looking back he was a pretty good coach, but to call these the "glory days" for our Alma Mater is wrong in my opinion. In my opinion, the so called "Glory Days" were the early Eighty's through about 1992 which was the first year in the new high school. A couple of GREAT athletes and a great head coach and his staff deserve many of the thanks for those times. During that span (1980-1992)Spring Hill had 9 playoff appearances, won the Class A State Championship in 1986 and came within' four points of another Clinic Bowl birth in 1992 in a 17-14 loss. That semi-final game against BGA in 1992 was a great game by the way. What happened after that is what we'll call "growth" (SATURN). The growth finally forced the school to have to move up to 2A in 1993. Mediocrety set in then as the program could not keep up with the school's population growing and not long after that the school moved up to 3A in football in 1995. They did however go to the playoffs in 1993 and 1994 in an apparently bad 2A Region that they were in at the time. The enrollment was growing but the amount of football talent hadn't caught up yet. I believe Coach Cox was hired before the 1995 season as they moved up to 3A. The next season,1996, was Coach Cox' first playoff appearance as he went 4-6 and had a playoff win. And in 1997 he went 6-4 with a playoff win. Spring Hill finally settled in during it's fourth season in 3A when they won the Region Championship in 1998. That team had a lot of talent, but you would also have to give Coach Cox a lot credit for the success that season. But, the team wound up losing a dissappointing second round home playoff game to McNairy Central... That was the last sniff of success Spring Hill had in football until the playoff appearance and first round win last season... I believe prior to 1999 the (for lack of better words) "convenient rezoning" of the Spring Hill/Columbia Central zones took place that forced Spring Hill to move up in classification once again. This time it was up to 4A. This severly damaged all of athletic programs as the school did not have the talent to consistently compete in 4A in football as well as 3A in basketball. I believe Coach Cox was let go after the 2001 season, for multiple reasons, and the school has now gone through their second coach since then. They were the bottom dwellers of that Region 5, 4A group with other schools like Hickman County and White County until this "rezoning" was changed back in time for the reclassification before the 2005 season that allowed Spring Hill to rejoin Class 3A where it should be. Now don't get me wrong, Spring Hill could still continue to grow and be forced to go to 4A again, but this needs to happen from natural growth and not as a result of "rezoning"... Back to the subject of the 1990's being the "Glory Years". Now, was the school a good, fun place to be on Friday nights throughout the Ninetys like most high schools? Yes, it was. But that fact hasn't changed to this day in a lot of ways. Looking back, it wasn't the "Glory Years". But I'd have to admit that compared to the last ten years since 1999, with the exception of last year, it would SEEM like "Glory Years". With that being said, Spring Hill High School on Friday nights is STILL more times than not a fun place to be. In my opinion, the football was just "respectable" post 1992, except for the 1998 Region Championship due mostly to their six year stint in 4A. I think Spring Hill is still trying to recover from that 1999-2004 stint in 4A because of what it did to the whole moral of the football program... Sorry for the long post.

By the way, I'm going to refrain from posting any comments about potential new coaches on here until something is official.

Herzog is the defensive coordinator at Page or Ravenwood I think. Forget which one.

After reading these posts it sounds like Spring Hill is living in the past. The players from the 80's and 90's are gone and it is time for them to either support the program and quit living in past. Tis is about the future not the 80's/90's. These kids do NOT care what happened in the 90's and definitly the 80's. It is time for them to start their own memories and program and for that I think SPring Hill needs a young coach with enthusiasm. Yes these older coaches are good but it just sounds like most of you Spring Hill guys just want them because they were great coaches when you were there, they will make them tough, bring back discipline. Come on guys quit living in the past and move on. Get someone relativly young that is going to excite these kids and go with it. There are some coaches that are dimonds in the rough in that area. I am an outsider and I support Independence so neither one effects me. Just an opinion.

By the way there are a lot of good coaches living in Spring Hill area that work for Williamson County schools. The staff at Independence all of them live in Spring Hill. Several on staff at Page live in Spring Hill. Coach at Hillsboro does live in Spring Hill but he would be nuts to leave Hillsboro.(still not sure how good he is 4A is very weak)