stats vs scholarships

tipsy

What does it profit a player no-matter what the sport, to have stats that are incredible, write-ups in the paper week after week, praise from your coaches, teammates, and classmates, to be considered the workhorse of your team, get voted all region, all destrict, all american, all whatever, and at the end of your senior year end up with nothing but the things that I just mentioned? I see this happening year after year to too many players and it is ashamed. Ask not what you can do for your team but what your team can do for you. If you have what it takes on the field and can do the work in the classroom, you deserve a chance at a scholarship.

Stats don't mean eveything in high school. College coaches get the word from high school coaches. Now, does that justitify a kid gettin overlooked? Let us ask oursevles these questions: Who else is recruiting him, does he qualify, how good is he, and is he a team player? Honestly, it comes in about that same order evertime from college coaches. And 2 answer the real question, maybe he aint good enough to get a ride like the truly great ones do. Good luck 2 yours!

to get a scholarship...

**the eye in the sky don't lie...you gotta show up big time on film

**you have to have the size for your position that is needed in college

**if these two above are true...speed is the difference between big time (sec football), Division I-AA, etc...speed kills and it also...for the most part determines at what level you play at

**gotta have the grades

**there are intangibles...like great instincts that can help get a kid to the next level...but he first must have the size, speed and grades for the level of ball he gets to play at

**there are alot of great high school football players...that have incredible stats...but they are lacking the size, or speed or both for colleges to look at...great example is "batey"...the lineman of the year from riverdale for 5a in TN...this kid could play...and had great high school awards...but did not have the size for college ball

Most major colleges have a grid for every position on the field noting the size speed etc for each one.

Unless you meet those parameters you will not even get a look at a major college.

perfect example

lineman a is 6 ft 5 300 pounds

lineman b is 6 ft 255

lineman b can block lineman a all over the field

when it comes schoarship time lineman a will be offered by someone in a major college lineman b will be not.

you can run the same scenario at every position on the field.

1. The player must pass the "LOOK" test. Each school has a strict height, weight & 40 speed for each position and the player must fit into those guidelines.

2. Colleges and Universities could care less about stats. Most of the time a student or parent is keeping the stats and they are not considered legit.

3. If a former player from a college recomends the player to the coaching staff it is often better than the high school coach making a phone call. Many time the college coach will ask a former player to go and take a look at potential player X and tell me they can play at X college. If the former player likes what he sees one of the college coaches will then go and watch the player play.

4. With the NCAA taking a close look at grades the players must be a good student. Unless the players is a top 10 player at his position (national) they must have good grades or the major colleges are going to pass on them.

5. Any legal problems are trouble enough for a school to drop a player. If the player has been suspended for cutting class, fighting, drinking, drugs, stealing, cheating, etc... they will not be recruited unless they are a true blue chip player.

6. The presidents of colleges & universities place much emphasis on image and how students conduct themself in public.

7. I have heard stories of how players would wear cutoff T-shits, gym shorts & have chew in their mouth when visiting a school. This player would not be offered a scholarship at most schools.

I don't won't people to get the wrong impression because of the question. I know all about what goes on with the recruiting process. Been there done that and my efforts have been very rewarding. I just wanted to know how people felt about the issue.

Some actively market themselves to get exposure. The more you get your face in front of the decsision makers the better. Some HS coaches have contacts and take an active roll in the process and some don't. Some recruits aim too high and are not honest about their talents. Recruiters don't go over the stat pages to find recruits.

Some actively market themselves to get exposure. The more you get your face in front of the decsision makers the better. Some HS coaches have contacts and take an active roll in the process and some don't. Some recruits aim too high and are not honest about their talents. Recruiters don't go over the stat pages to find recruits.

nice sig, but Vince Lombardi said it first.

speed and size makes the difference in selecting a sec d1 type player and a d2 player. d1 coaches will take a person who might have potential over a person who is racking up stats any day of the week. it also matters what division they play in. 5a is much more competition than 1a by far. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />